Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my new pipes in mail. I will be replacing the Screaming Eagles Dual slip on's with new Vance and Hines Straightshots because they were not as loud as a HD should be.......

The question is regarding the factory baffles (not the quiet core ones) installed in them. These look like they can be removed with a simple screw on the pipe and should add a few more decibels of Bad Azz if I remove them.

Has anyone that removed these (that has a fuel injected HD) have issues with your engine not having enough back pressure to run right ????? I have a stock air intake.

BTW.... the crossover exhaust gaskets to do this install that I picked up yesterday at the HD dealer are made in Mexico. Sorry about the shine of the chrome. You might need sunglasses to view photos......:biggrin:

·
Registered
886 Posts
I think that for the best PERFORMANCE from aftermarket pipes or mufflers you should also get higher flow intake and adjust the fuel flow to keep from having too lean of a fuel mix and potential engine damage, even if all you want is more noise.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Improper changes to intake and exhaust has destroyed many an engine. Of course, then it is blamed on the brand rather than the installer.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
It was explained to me by a Harley tech, that on a big twin, the intake is so restrictive, that a pipe change alone won't cause a lean condition that the ECM can't handle. I would assume it would be the same on a EFI Sporty.
I seriously doubt you're sensitive enough in the lower extremities to tell the difference with and w/o the baffles, most folks think the noise makes them feel faster. I know I could tell no difference on my carbed Sportster and the plug coloration didn't change at all.

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was explained to me by a Harley tech, that on a big twin, the intake is so restrictive, that a pipe change alone won't cause a lean condition that the ECM can't handle. I would assume it would be the same on a EFI Sporty.
I seriously doubt you're sensitive enough in the lower extremities to tell the difference with and w/o the baffles, most folks think the noise makes them feel faster. I know I could tell no difference on my carbed Sportster and the plug coloration didn't change at all.

Like you, I was also told slip on pipes will not need a ECM remap or a fuel controller as long as you have the factory intake.

This change is only intended to create more noise as I'm not looking for performance gains at this time. :71baldboy:

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
Noise machine.

Like you, I was also told slip on pipes will not need a ECM remap or a fuel controller as long as you have the factory intake.

This change is only intended to create more noise as I'm not looking for performance gains at this time. :71baldboy:
Are you looking for more attention?

Tell you what. There is a nice looking red headed girl hitchhiking. You come along on your noise machine, and she retracts her thumb and hand. I come along and she jumps up and down and waves.
Your noise machine, versus my Yami and side car.

Unkle Krusty*

·
8,665 Posts
Are you looking for more attention?

Tell you what. There is a nice looking red headed girl hitchhiking. You come along on your noise machine, and she retracts her thumb and hand. I come along and she jumps up and down and waves.
Your noise machine, versus my Yami and side car.

Unkle Krusty*
Chicks dig pipes!!!;)

Especially when they're on a Harley.:71baldboy:

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
But the side car looks like the back seat of a car. I understand totally.

·
8,665 Posts
My wife actually complained when I told her I was gonna put my stockers back on.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
The pipes won't affect the running of the bike.

In my opinion, if the ECU can't handle that simple change, it isn't effective anyway. The reduced back pressure will cause it to use more fuel less torque on the low end. The only one you will notice is the amount of fuel it has to push into the cylinder to keep the computer happy.

A true HD guy now, it has to be loud because it can't be fast!

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Guys, as the owner of two HDs, among other brands, and having had stock, very loud, and somewhere inbetween, I can tell you few chicks love the extra noise. Some do, most don't. Just like the whole of society. I've since settled in on a slightly louder than stock sound level. Something throatier but not abnoxious. I did it to get a few extra ponies over stock. Often the louder the pipes, the less power they help make. Unbaffled drag pipes, for example, are horrible for a street ridden bike.

Those straight shots, with a proper intake and mapping, can really get that bike moving better.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
With a Stock Air Intake think you will be fine with Baffled Slip Ons without a Tuner .. If really want some decent sound on the Sportster, Try a Thunderheader 2:1's with a Good High Flow Filter Tuned by a PCV or Similar Tuner ..

·
8,572 Posts
The 2 into 1 Thunder header is what I used on my last Dyno winning, 96 inch, Electra Glide and the sounds was awesome!

With all the other High performance parts, the pipe worked wonders with the 53mm, S&S Carb. When on the boil, the bike sounded like a small block Chevy, racing engine on Steroids.

Exhaust pipes that exit behind the rider are easy to live with. My choice is the Vance and Hines, Long-shots, for that very reason.

This is what makes owning a Harley so much fun is the amazing amount of things the owner can do to make it his/ her own, just the way they like it.

:71baldboy:

Sam:coffeescreen:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts