Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son started my 2009 Triumph Bonneville SE setting the choke to full. He walked away and forgot about it. An hour and a half later I found it sputtering in the garage. It was overheated and had leaked a little oil in certain spots. I let it cool for a couple of hours and now it runs terrible. The plugs were fouled so I changed those, still running bad. How bad is the damage to my bike? What should I look at doing next?

:mad:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Well Bonnie the 1st thing you do is go to you son with the angriest looking face you can muster and tell him "thanks son the engine is destroyed now the whole bike is only work its weight in scrap metal!!" You're cut off forevaaaa!!

lol just kidding! But it's fun to screw with a kids brain :D

The bike's probably fine just the combustion chamber is clogged up. Changing the plugs is a good start. After that take it out for a good looonnnnggg highway ride. Be sure to rev it up plenty. It should work fine after that.

If you REALLY want to clean the innards completely you could run something like Seafoam through it, I hear that stuff works pretty good

·
American Legion Rider
23,555 Posts
Might be wise to change oil too.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
I thought most motorcycles shutdown if they got too hot.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I've yet to run into a bike with a temperature switch, at least one they list as a feature.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I've yet to run into a bike with a temperature switch, at least one they list as a feature.
while not a temp. switch, my 2008 Yamaha has a feature on it.....if it idles for 20 min. it shuts itself down...

Bonnie sorry to hear about your trouble....

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
I'd suggest taking it to a dealer and ask them to look it over (they might perform a compression or a leak-down test to check the rings, pistons, and such). Leaving the choke on like that, will tend to wash the cylinders clean of oil lubrication.

I guess I would spend the money to have it checked out, to avoid being left somewhere on the road, or having the engine seize up while at highway speeds. Your bike, your decision. Best of luck. Cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts