Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I’m 6 foot 2, 190 lbs, Will i be able to ride the Honda cmx 500 rebel ?
I absolutely love the bike, from the aesthetic to the Sound and everything!

But, I am a beginner and i feel like every review i watch about bikes, say that the bikes are for shorter riders.

What am i supposed to look for?
I hope i Can fit on this bike, so i would love for someone to help me hahaha

Thank you in advance friends!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
Only YOU can determine if you fit and will be comfortable on ANY bike that you are interested in.:grin:

Those little 'Rebels,' look like someones joke for a motorcycle design and are small for 'American' size riders. Lots of the bikes now have such low seat heights, very high riders footpegs and little tiny seats and small gas tanks, that I'm surprised that they sell any to US riders, who ride more than 5 miles a day as in Asia, their main markets.:surprise:

You should be glad that we can't decide for you:grin:

Good luck!

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
207 Posts
I learned that what feels ok in the showroom may not feel ok an hour into riding. I'm 6'1" & bought a new Suzuki S40 in 2004. Known as the Suzuki Savage 1986-2003. Felt weird but ok in the showroom. Most uncomfortable bike I ever owned or rode. Low seat & semi-forward pegs. I sat below my knees which splayed outward & I'm slouched over, all my weight on my tailbone. Legs hurt, back hurt & butt hurt. Maybe fine for someone 5'4" but not me. Traded it in on a Vstrom 2 1/2 years later. Had the seat been taller & the pegs below me I'd still have that Suzuki S40 today because I loved that torquey thumper engine. I'd sit on that 500 Rebel as long as they let you & see if it gets uncomfortable. Remember wind will be pushing against you too.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
Exactly Juan! That little Butt test at the dealer's air conditioned showroom for a minute or so means NOTHING when put to the test of high summer temps with high humidity and stop and go traffic! Those forward controls do nothing but put all of your 'TAILBONE' on the hard little seat and an hour later a person is dead from the waist down:surprise:

Sam:grin:

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
The new Rebels were designed with Americans in mind, so you shouldn't look like a circus bear like I did with the 2005 Rebel I had last year. :)

The biggest concern I have is with leg length. Bikes with low seats are great for people with short legs. But if most of your 6'2" height is leg it may not work so well?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys! I Will definetely go for at test drive when the time comes!

So what you are saying MissMercedes, is that the bike might fit me size wise? I am aftaid that i Will look too Big on it. Like it’s a kids bike with a man on it??

I Will use the bike for short rides, like 1 hour max, so i just hope it Will suit me for that type of ride...

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
It may fit you, yes! The biggest thing though is leg length. If your legs are too long you'll either be uncomfortable or your legs will be too close to the bars. So yeah, give it a good test ride. :)

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
I think you should consider a Grom. Then have a photo taken and share it with us. Seriously, no one here can answer your question. Sitting on a bit at a dealer is not ideal, but its a lot better than not sitting on it. If you can, ask the dealer to let you take a demo ride, but only after you have at least sat on it and think it is the bike for you. I had a chance to ride that bike at a dealer's demo day last summer and I enjoyed it, but it felt pretty small to me and I'm only 5'7". And I thought it felt very underpowered, even considering the size of the engine. Good luck.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Take someone with you to make a video of you riding the bike...then you'll know what you "look like" on it...I'm betting you'll think you look like a circus act.

Proper proportion is beauty to the eye, but it can be horribly uncomfortable to the butt...

Dealers don't like "test riders" wasting their time...so come in serious about buying...flash the cash or let them approve you for financing...when they see they have a real sale in the works, they'll let you ride just about anything for as long as you want.

10 minutes into the ride....is the first hurdle...whatever isn't "right" in the first 10 minutes will be unbearable at 40 minutes.

I'm a casual, local rider, rarely out for more than ~60 minutes which is right about the time the area below my waist goes numb...so my bike is ok for me.

I test road a Scout for 15 minutes, came back, salesman said how was it, I showed him my hands, which were imprinted with the clutch handle and the design of the grips...HORRIBLE bike for me...all of my weight was on my hands and the pull on the clutch handle was insanely strong...good lord...your customer base is not all 20 years old with grips of a vise..talking to you Indian!

"Flash the cash" story. Went with a buddy to look at a bike...guy was "firm" on the price and really wasn't going to budge....buddy flashed a $7000 cash roll...ending up with the bike for $1000 less than the "firm" price which was about ~$1500 below it's true value.

·
American Legion Rider
26,014 Posts
"Flash the cash" story. Went with a buddy to look at a bike...guy was "firm" on the price and really wasn't going to budge....buddy flashed a $7000 cash roll...ending up with the bike for $1000 less than the "firm" price which was about ~$1500 below it's true value.
That's the way to do it. Cash money talks better than anything else. You have nothing to lose trying. I would add to say that's all you got too even if you have more. But be prepared to walk as well.

·
Registered
319 Posts
That's the way to do it. Cash money talks better than anything else. You have nothing to lose trying. I would add to say that's all you got too even if you have more. But be prepared to walk as well.
He was "firm" in his price...he asked if my friend was going to borrow the money and whether he'd been pre-approved...friend said nope, have the cash right here and wips it out...fat roll of $50's...guys eyes popped open and the "firm" price dropped a $1000 rather easily as that's what was needed for him to get that roll of cash. Bike had been for sale for at least a month, no sale..so he was feeling a little heat from the wife... as she "ordered" (LOL) him to get rid of it before he killed himself or both of them...low miles, "like new" and ~6 years old... and sold for a good ~$12,000 less than when it originally rolled off the dealers lot.

The beating people take on selling a Harley they never should have bought in the first place...yikes! Guy said he bought it because "all of his friends had one"..yes, never a better reason to spend BIG $$$ on a cycle. Local Craigslist, Ultimate Behemoth Harley for sale, ~300 miles in 2 years...paid ~$40k for it..asking $35k...lol...good luck...selling because "he never rides it"....OMG...salesman dream...how in the world does a person spend ~$40k on a CYCLE designed to go cross-country with no real plans to ride it? Well, I'm thankful for people like that, they save me from eating all that depreciation...one of my recent purchases...2 years old, seller had ~$20k+ invested, road it a 1000 miles...I paid $9500 for literally a new bike with a KBB value of ~$14k...too good to be true red flags...I went over the deal from every angle looking for a way I would get Skreuwed...turned out to be an honest deal...they just wanted it gone fast and I was the first one to show up...with cash!

·
American Legion Rider
26,014 Posts
Isn't there a saying that goes something like...cash talks, all others walk???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts