Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm a manual machinist 62yrs old still young at Hart, not working at present lending my services to my youngest daughter who's in the military with 3 youngens! They keep me young! I have a 1984 V65 Magna to disprove the rocking syndrome. Been into hot rods & machinist my whole life!:coffee:

·
American Legion Rider
23,542 Posts

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Welcome from Nebraska. Never heard the term 'manual machinist' but it would apply to me as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to the fourm especially those TX boys!!! Just left there of 37yrs most 2yrs Houston, rest in Katy,2 in elpaso!! Miss those roads where my horses can run free!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
meaning

Welcome from Nebraska. Never heard the term 'manual machinist' but it would apply to me as well.
Manual machinist non tape or cnc! I can run any manual machine in the shop and hold .0002 too on all of them, granted my daughter giving enuff time & instructions can! Me just the print, 75% of the time by the time others figure out how I'll sit it on the floor!:biggrin:

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Figured you meant non CNC. The new shops springing up are all CNC. Problem is, they need to make a run, not just one part or a few. So, even though I'm stone-age obsolete, there is still a niche for me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
True, but I've seen cnc machinist on or better than me could prove you and I wrong it's just a matter of time! It won't come from the new one's, it will come from a jelling of & a hell-of-marriage! So you see why it was called the machine age,& now we're in the information age get it!!!

·
American Legion Rider
23,542 Posts
The machinist trade used to be a very closed trade. You had to know someone in the trade to get into the trade. With the information age and CNC machining, has that changed? Can a collage grad just throw in an application and be hired? Or is it still a close nit trade?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
Welcome aboard

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only thing in this world closed is people's minds! The bean counter who & what is done, yes the skill set has changed but the core of machining is the same Trigonometry is still the solution of a right angle you still need a certain amount of mechanical aptitude,your best cnc machinist still comes from the manual side. The advancement of machines will close that gap soon but the shear cost of these machines are the hold up. 15yrs ago I asked a company if they were hiring 1class manual machinist his reply to me was do they still have those around! So you see what I mean about closed minds!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts