Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure how to even begin to explain what has happened to me tonight on my motorcycle ride, Jesus really looked out for me.

I am a new rider, I dont have my motorcycle safety course yet i take it next month, my motorcycle isnt registered yet and it has no plates. I have taken it out for about 500 miles now around where i live just like that, no plates, no registration, and no M license. I do have insurance on it though. I have been told by many of you guys on here to take the BRC and start on a smaller motorcycle. For all of you new riders out here please listen to them and to what i am about to share with you.

My motorcycle is an FZ6, i chose that bike as my first bike because it was for a good price, it was in great condition, and I wasnt planning on doing anything dumb on it. The bike as far as power is manageable, i can control it and its really all about how you control your right wrist. I have never been a risk taker nor did i get that bike to take risks on. It was a good bike within my price range and it was what i picked. So i have this inline 4 motorcycle with a detuned R6 engine that puts out almost 100HP and can go 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. It looks nice, rides nice except a twitchy throttle that no matter how soft you are on the throttle it jerks you, it has good weight and is very fun on turns.

Until today i hadnt taken the bike past 80 mph, until today i hadnt had a cop try to pull me over. Any time i had seen a cop i had always turned away from the cop so they wouldnt notice i didnt have a license plate on it. Tonight though i was sitting at a left turn lane and a cop was to my right, i was committed to the left turn there were cars behind me and in front of me and i was stuck. The cop was the first car to go once that lanes turn was to go and the cars behind me all turned off so the cop was right behind me. As we stop for a red light he turns on his lights just as the stop light turns green, I take a right at this light and its all residential housing. I have a lot going through my mind, my biggest fear was i was going to jail. Going to jail meant my career was over and my way of life was going to suck for a while.

So here i am with two choices i stop and get pulled over or i run. So i sit on those two choices for about 3 blocks then i gun it. I gun it out of fear, not because i wanted to be this cool sport biker or things i had seen on tv. The fear was very real, little did i know it had just begun. I started a pursuit with the cops. I get to about 55 in 1st, then 75 in 2nd, then i just keep going in 3rd well over 100 miles an hour in town. The bike had just past its sweet spot of 7k RPM and once its over that sweet spot it really takes off. The bike came alive and i just hung on. The cops became little spots in my rear view mirrors i was passing stop signs faster than i could ever imagine, the bike went airborne twice; something you would see off of a movie. It didnt feel real to me, everything was in slow motion. All i knew is had to get out of town. I turn down the street to leave town, and it does this turn that isnt much of anything at low speed but going over 100mph it is, i stopped the bike down to 40 mph and i cant navigate the turn so i start going into the grass and slow the bike down to the last thing i saw was 30mph. My bike and i tumble into some bushes and the bike ends up turn itself around to the direction we just came. I tried getting up because i knew the cops still were after me. I start getting up and my foot is stuck. As i am lifting the bike with a stuck foot all 400 some odd pounds i hear the cops. I was wearing a reflective vest and i was for sure they would see me. I layed down as flat as i could and 2 cops go by. I get up again and another 2 go by. So they send 4 cop cars after me. I get my foot unstuck after the last car passes and i run into the woods i rips off my reflective jacket and run back to the bike, I take my motorcycle riding jacket off and put it over the front of the bike. It doesnt reflect at all so it eliminated the chances of anyone seeing the outline of the bike. I wait a little longer and 2 cops come back down the road. There are rail road tracks behind me and i lift up this bike with all my strength and i get it to start, i rid it up the tracks 1/10 of a mile from the spot where i went down and i turn it off. I call a buddy of mine and he rides it to his house about a mile down the road and i follow him closely.

The bike had some damage to it, the front fender plastic piece is broken, the handle bars are off center to the front forks/wheel, and the gas take has a nice dent and some paint is missing. I told him to check if it was ok mechanically while he rode it and he said it was fine. I wont ride it again until i take the BRC, i get my M license, and i get it plated. I have some bruises that is all. I wore my helmet, riding jacket, reflective vest, gloves, and full ankle boots so at least i wore the proper gear.

I realize how irresponsible it was for me to ride in the state i have been riding it: no plates, no M license, no BRC. I should have taken my punishment from the cops and went on my way. I also realize i should not have tried to run from the cops.If i hadnt of crashed then i may have crashed later or just out run them. I did not get caught however which was the goal when i made that choice. I am young 22 yrs old, i always try to make the best decisions this is far from my most proud moment. This is really a life lesson to me, I thank god that he looked over me and protected me. All it took was a car to pull out in front of my while i was in town or for me to hit something hard while i rode off the road. Even more fortunate to not have gotten caught after all of that by the police. I dont care about my pride, this wasnt about pride or even about showing off and looking cool. I just did not want to get caught that is all. I know i could have been killed, or seriously injured i am very surprised i wasnt.

What I learned and i hope you guys dont make the same mistake i made tonight is DO NOT try to run from the cops it catches up to you one way or another. I could have died, screw getting in trouble, the ultimate price to be payed could have been death not a ticket or jail time. I could have been so injured i couldnt ride again or even function as a normal human being. Motorcycle riding is inherently dangerous and doing dumb things makes it even more so. I am a new motorcycle rider, i dont even have 1000 miles under me and i rode like i knew what i was doing. Just today i stalled my bike a few times at lights because the clutch has such a small friction zone and i dont give it enough gas. I am fortunate to be alive to share this story with eveyone here.

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Thank you Windy....

Ya know... If I didn't know better, I might think your username should be: ChicagoPD... trying to make a point. But I don't know better. Never did.

Great story tho... Thank you!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope not a cop, went to high school 2hrs west of chicago. Just a nickname i picked thats all.

But the story i all real, it happened yesterday after the sun went down. I have posted a few other times on here too. Just wanted to share my experience with other riders.

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Nope not a cop, went to high school 2hrs west of chicago. Just a nickname i picked thats all.

But the story i all real, it happened yesterday after the sun went down. I have posted a few other times on here too. Just wanted to share my experience with other riders.

Thank you for doing so!! But please tell us... WHY?? Why run from the cops? I mean, thank God you weren't hurt or anyone else for that matter, but what possessed you to flee? Fear of some tickets? Fear of a night in jail? I ask only because I've done both, tickets and jail. To be honest, neither was that bad. Had I hurt someone cuz I fled and caused an accident??? I don't know that I'd be able to live with myself... Please, enlighten us some more!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
While you realize what you could have done to yourself (dead), you have to also realize what else you could have done...

The sorrow you would have created for your family.

The death of another motorist when you hit them.

The death of a pedestrian or a child chasing a ball into the street and the sorrow of their family.

Irresponsibility doesn't only affect you. It creates ripples that can hurt a lot more people.

·
Registered
472 Posts
And let me add one more thing...

Most riders in this forum strive to present a positive image of motorcyclists. Personally, I let more motorists out of side streets, stop for more pedestrians, allow more lane mergers, etc... while on a bike because I know that I need to do at least 10 good things as a motorcyclist to offset the image you just portrayed.

So now I need to don my motorcycle gear and save a kitten stuck in a tree because of what you did.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
"Just today i stalled my bike a few times at lights because the clutch has such a small friction zone and i dont give it enough gas."

When I first read your story I thought you were an inexperienced person that made a few bad decisions and panicked, but got lucky and wanted to share your epiphany with others. Cool.

But after all this happened, you go out AGAIN without plates, training, or license? The very next day you're doing the same thing??

Now I'm convinced you're a very special kind of dumba$$.:coffeescreen:

·
6,491 Posts
I'm sure your confession is cathartic and well meant and if you've learned something from it then use that to change your behavior in the future.

I infer that you are a person of faith and if truly so then I would thank the Lord again that you lived through the experience and let this draw you closer to him. You weren't lucky, you were blessed.

I won't judge you because we all SIN and have done stupid things if we are honest with ourselves.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sam:icon_cool:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
So,Windy, never been above 80, then run from 4 cops, crash the bike, then get a mate to help you get the bike home.
Next day....(according to how you wrote the story ) You are out on the streets again ?
I notice you have amassed 38 posts, keep on like that, and you might not get to 40.
You either made it up, or yes, as EYE said ; You are a D...A..
So enlighten us, this career you are so scared of losing, is that delivering Pizzas ?

·
Registered
699 Posts
He said it happened yesterday after the sun went down, then just today he stalled it. S'how I read it. :)
He said "what happened to me tonight" at the beginning of the post, and then at the end of the post said "just today I stalled my bike a few times". Same day. It does occur to me that time zones could make a difference in this perception. You are 3 time zones later than I am, and it shows on my comp that he posted at around 11 pm. It really doesn't matter, what he did, if he really did it, does make him the dumbass you suggested! ;)

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,226 Posts
The whole Motorcycle Forum right now...

Seriously though... when trying to read that giant tl;dr, (too long; didn't read) all I could think of was this.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
He said it happened yesterday after the sun went down, then just today he stalled it. S'how I read it. :)
YUP !
As I read the story, where he starts off talking about; Tonight, which to my understanding equates to .....This Evening....
Then, towards the end of the story, suddenly switches to .... Today I stalled the bike at the lights.
Which to my understanding, equates to.....The Next Day.

And I am 5 hrs ahead of your East Coast.

Obviously this is not an English Literature Class, its a Bike Forum, but if posters proceed to post somewhat convoluted explanations, then it is obvious, that people with a classical education, such as Eye & myself, may be drawn to one conclusion, whereas others may interpret things differently.
Now, having explained myself, irrespective of the interpretation, I still feel the story is made up, or as EYE states, the OP is a D...A.. :71baldboy:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Windy

you are very lucky that you are ALIVE.
Period.
that is it.

do you want the truth? That was STUPID!!!
It was a very human reaction, but really stupid.

Although you think that the cops are your "enemy", in reality they are your best d*mn FRIEND. Any cop out there would rather see you cool off in jail ... as opposed to having your brains splattered across the road.

Anyway - you lucked out. Somehow you survived.
PLEASE go and take the safety course, and don't ever do that again.
And the same thing goes for all Newb riders here.

One more rider ... lives for one more day ... sometimes by SHEER LUCK.

And it is still possible that the cops might find you, by tracking these posts. If they do, Dat's Da Deal.

dT

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I have done stupid stuff in my life, made poor decisions, etc. Those who know me know that l am a recovering alcoholic and have had DUI's in my past. It was a cop who pulled me over that saved me from myself a little over 4 years ago. So l am not going to say l told you so.

What l am going to say is, you are a member of this forum. There may not be a huge set of bylaws and rules for membership here like other MC clubs, but we do have a code of honor that we adhere to. We promote motorcycle safety. We promote family, brotherhood, thoughtfulness, and being respectful of our neighbor and our community. It is events like this that give motorcyclists a black eye.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Everyone who replied to this topic you are right in the fact it was stupid, stupid as hell. I realize all the danger i put myself in and other people. I chose to ride carelessly and without concern for others. I cant say i blame anyone for being ticked off at me for it. It was stupid very stupid and i am very lucky to be alive. It was a miracle i did survive after crashing. People make mistakes, some of those mistakes turn into life lessons; this is one of those life lessons i learned. No one on here can say they havent done anything stupid. I am not riding until i take my BRC and get my license to ride that vehicle. Yes these kind of things give riders a bad rep, will i do this again though? Hell no i wont, its not worth it. I know i should have stopped but i didnt thats something i cant change. All we can do when we mess up is to not make the same mistake twice.

·
Registered
699 Posts
YUP !
As I read the story, where he starts off talking about; Tonight, which to my understanding equates to .....This Evening....
Then, towards the end of the story, suddenly switches to .... Today I stalled the bike at the lights.
Which to my understanding, equates to.....The Next Day.

And I am 5 hrs ahead of your East Coast.

Obviously this is not an English Literature Class, its a Bike Forum, but if posters proceed to post somewhat convoluted explanations, then it is obvious, that people with a classical education, such as Eye & myself, may be drawn to one conclusion, whereas others may interpret things differently.
Now, having explained myself, irrespective of the interpretation, I still feel the story is made up, or as EYE states, the OP is a D...A.. :71baldboy:
I think you and Eye might drink the same classical beer while reading and posting, but it was still the same day. :p

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
"All we can do when we mess up is to not make the same mistake twice."

Amen brother.
And you know what ...

we ALL screw up out there - in various ways.
Usually not quite as flagrant ... or "out-there" ... as your story above.
But we all do mess up.
And the idea is to LEARN ... and move on ... and not repeat the process.

So Yeah, get things back together and stay on your bike.

Like some other people, I have actually been wondering if your story is real, or exaggerated, or just a story that was made up (for some reason). But I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

dT

1 - 20 of 33 Posts