Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That moment when you, after getting a new bike, all of a sudden realize that you are "one" with the bike.

I'm not convinced that it is something that you feel right away, (although I had a sense on my first ride on the HD that I felt comfortable within the first mile), but it was a real bizarre twilight zone moment today, when I was riding home and felt that total "oneness" with the bike.

That sense of confidence that every shifting of my body, and everything I asked it to do, it responded to with immediacy and precise accuracy.

Know the feeling? Ain't it COOL!!!!?????

-soupy

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
So have you moved the bike into the living room at night yet?

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
--

I know what you mean. I have had that feeling, too. Or, I should say, I have had that epiphany more than once. So I suppose there are degrees. I first felt one on the bike in my avatar in the dealer's lot when I first sat on it. It just felt right. But then on my first long trip that first summer (where one rides all day every day), I felt I was finally one with the bike.

But yesterday on the candy tangerine bike, I felt that way coming through some canyon curves where I felt I had all my riding feel mastered and was "at one."

So, Soupy, it might not be over. :biggrin:

--

·
8,606 Posts
Maybe there is some truth when as many times before I say to myself: "I really love this bike."

Sam:wink:

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Let's see, I think at last glance, 500 miles total.

It had 6K on it when I bought it (relatively low mileage for a 2004, in 2015, "I" think), and it now says 6500 plus.

That may be a good amount in just two or three weeks for some, and that might be "not much" for others. It just depends on your particular situation.

I will say THIS about riding that bike on long trips however. Without the Windshield, (which I suppose I COULD add on later.....I wonder how much it would cost me to have one put on?) I feel more wind stress on the highway; and highway speeds, maintained over a long haul, would be rough on that bike, because the lack of it. No wonder secondary roads are the more popular way to ride long distances.

I should REALLY put something (not saddle bags, ty) on the bike for taking stuff with me. I have the bags to mount, but no place to put them.

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
--

I know what you mean. I have had that feeling, too. Or, I should say, I have had that epiphany more than once. So I suppose there are degrees. I first felt one on the bike in my avatar in the dealer's lot when I first sat on it. It just felt right. But then on my first long trip that first summer (where one rides all day every day), I felt I was finally one with the bike.

But yesterday on the candy tangerine bike, I felt that way coming through some canyon curves where I felt I had all my riding feel mastered and was "at one."

So, Soupy, it might not be over. :biggrin:

--
I agree with Ron. There's more to come. 500 miles is just the first step. Wait till you do an all day 500 miler and when you stop you realize you can still go more. Then you have become one with the bike as you are relaxed enough to truly enjoy the ride. When everything is just second nature and you ask yourself, how did I get from point A to point B but also know it was fun. Carry on grasshopper.:D

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't honestly think I'll be DOING a "500 mile" ride on that bike.

As nice as the bike is.........it would be hard on my body.

-Soupy

·
8,606 Posts
Soupy, Harley dealers normally carry popular items like their windshield line, with a cool 'quick release' system that makes them easy to remove and install in a matter of 10 seconds or so. Saddle bag 'stand-offs' are easy to install and will work with just about all bags. Go into a big HD dealership and drool!:wink:

HD dealers typically sell close to 1/2 of the purchase price of their bikes in accessories and clothes, within a 5 year date of purchase:p

I always installed the windshield, passenger backrest (Short one) and tasteful luggage rack, Saddle bag standoffs, medium size QUALITY leather bags, Engine guard with attached highway pegs and lots of shiny chrome stuff, like a custom air cleaner cover and clutch derby and 'points' cover. Later would come the obligatory 'loud' exhaust pipes, usually 3 or 4 sets until I got it right.

A little later would come the 'Quest for performance' to make the scoot actually get out of it's own way and so that you would be the 'Roll on Champ' of your peers:p

If you ever get the chance to sit on a Harley that has a riders backrest accessory, you will never want to get off! They are also available at your friendly Harley Dealership.

My New Triumph Rocket has the riders backrest and I love it. Believe it or not, it is the first one I've ever had.

Make the Fatty your own:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Won't be expending any unnecessary money for a while. Things are not stable enough in my world, for that kind of fun.

-Soupy

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't know about being 'one' with my bike but I do know what you mean. I love my bike. I have loved all of my bikes. I don't trade bikes every few years, I keep them for the long term 'relationships'. My last bike, an 83 Venture, I bought in 96' for $2k with 32k miles on it. I just got rid of this year and there was 177k miles on the clock. That's 19 years and 145 thousand miles on a $2k bike, talk about being loved, that bike was loved, and it loved me back. It was a very faithful friend. When I bought my VTX 2 years ago, the second week I had it, I made a solo trip to visit my youngest son in south Texas, 1018 miles one-way and I made the trip down there in one day. The trip home was broke into 2 days. I was 58 years old at the time. It's on a long trip like that when you truly get to know your bike real personally. The short trips around town and to work, to the store etc... lets you become buddies with your bike but on the long trips, you and the bike get to know one another's aches and pains, strengths and weaknesses, that's where the bond is made.

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
I know exactly what you're saying Soupy.
Like when you get off the bike....only to glance back at it a few times as you walk away:icon_cool:

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
..........Like when you get off the bike....only to glance back at it a few times as you walk away:icon_cool:
That "glance back" is an infatuation with your (my) new ride. It is a bit different than what I was describing, but I DO believe you know what I was talking about.

We call the infatuation with a new "ride" (happens with a cage we like, as well), "Kissing the fenders." It goes away after the first ding or scratch. In fact, once when I bought a brand new car (and I've had a few), a friend of mine, who saw that I was badly suffering from the "kissing the fenders" syndrome............walked over and took a key, and made a little tiny scratch on the bumper, (almost invisible overall, but seemed like a HUGE mark to "me" at the time) that cured me of my infatuation.

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
That "glance back" is an infatuation with your (my) new ride. It is a bit different than what I was describing, but I DO believe you know what I was talking about.

We call the infatuation with a new "ride" (happens with a cage we like, as well), "Kissing the fenders." It goes away after the first ding or scratch. In fact, once when I bought a brand new car (and I've had a few), a friend of mine, who saw that I was badly suffering from the "kissing the fenders" syndrome............walked over and took a key, and made a little tiny scratch on the bumper, (almost invisible overall, but seemed like a HUGE mark to "me" at the time) that cured me of my infatuation.

-Soupy
I would never scratch a friend's fenders. You have some truly weird friends.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Eye: I suppose it was (in his mind) a form of "tough love."
It WORKED. That's the important part. I was WAY to infatuated by the new vehicle, and needed to come down to earth a bit.

-Soupy

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
That "glance back" is an infatuation with your (my) new ride. It is a bit different than what I was describing, but I DO believe you know what I was talking about....
-Soupy
Heck, I still do it and I've had this bike for 7 years. I returned from a 4 day - 1000 mile tour yesterday and it was strange this morning not to be repacking the saddlebags and hopping on the bike.
I think that touring, solo touring especially, really brings out an affection for your ride. The idea that it is truly your only companion for that time brings it into sharper focus. The morning ritual of checking tire pressures, lights, signals and horn; loading the saddlebags; and putting on gear while the heart of the beast idles and wakes up...

Makes you realize why cowboys love their horses
:71baldboy:

·
8,606 Posts
it is odd about the "Glance back," isn't it:biggrin: It reminds me of my high school and college days when as my 'supermodel' type Sorority, Stuck-up, Girlfriend would walk away, I always enjoyed the view!;)

I think you know you've made a good decision when you can't stop staring at your bike as you get off and walk away!:)

I bought a new Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom in 2003, in stunning metallic silver---all silver-everywhere and the first time I looked back I realized she was way UGLY. She performed well and was a great bike but I would almost want to hide her if I parked by other bikes:icon_mad:

Now my past BMW R1100 GS was by heredity an ugly, weird, function before form monstrosity but everyone knew that so it didn't bother me. The UGLY was sort of a merit badge.

Soupy, I think you'll appreciate this one:

In about 1992, myself and a good friend rode our Electra Glides into the city of Palm Springs, Ca and then through Palm Desert and up the winding mountain road to a scenic pull-out, about 3,000 feet above the entire desert valley and then we parked to relax a minute.

My bike was a beautiful bright metallic candy apple red and his was a gorgeous dual color metallic dark and light blue and both were showroom immaculate.

We strolled over to the look-out edge for a few minutes to look into the valley and we heard lots of cars pull in to do the same thing. It is a popular area.

A few minutes later, we hear loud and agitated Japanese shouts like when Godzilla walked out of Tokyo bay for the first time!:confused:

Probably 25 Japanese tourist were taking hundreds of pictures of our bikes and lots posing next to them:biggrin:

We bowed and they did too as we Aristocrats mounted up, waved and rode into the sunset:biggrin:

Arigatou gozaimasu:icon_cool:

Now that's what I'm talkin' about:wink:

G

·
I had not rode my Sabre for a few weeks and took it out yesterday. Every time I switch over to the other bike it feels weird at 1st. But after 20 minutes of riding I was "one" with the bike again. I actually have that feeling all the time and not just with motorcycles. Some people misunderstand what "one" with the bike really means. For me it is feeling like the bike is a part of you not an extension of you. In my experience some people don't understand the difference.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For "me," CPulsar, it is both an extension of "me" as well as "part" of me. If I over-extend myself, asking too much of it, then it can argue with me a bit, but I'm pretty good at keeping the maneuvers within reasonable limits.

-Soupy

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
...........Soupy, I think you'll appreciate this one:
In about 1992, myself and a good friend rode our Electra Glides ........................Probably 25 Japanese tourist were taking hundreds of pictures of our bikes and lots posing next to them........
I have indeed heard it said that HD makes an impression all over the world!

-Soupy

1 - 20 of 29 Posts