Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... as a new order rider, I purchased my 2016 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 classic this past spring with 322 miles on it. The first owner changed his mind in wanting to ride so he did not put too many miles on his three years of ownership. The base warranty expires in a couple of weeks and for $750 I can get a four year warranty. I assume this would cover major items only. Now, since they have not changed much on the bike for years and years, it is a pretty stable design and with 600 miles on it now (I am way too busy working and not riding….), it is not going to get beat up any time soon. I am guessing the chances of a major problem is slight but there may be a payback for selling a bike with an extended warranty if I decide to get a larger bike after I gain more riding experience. I am leaning to NOT extending but was curious if anyone else has an opinion. Thanks and happy 4th!! Jim

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,458 Posts
To me it comes down to this question: Is it better for you to pre-pay $750 worth of work to ensure that you don't have a larger expense down the road? Insurance is piece of mind, if it makes you sleep better at night, then go for it. A machine can and will breakdown and will need to be fixed. How you budget for that is your choice.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Ace Tuner
3,522 Posts
I shouldn't post here because I have NO FAITH in warranty, especially the extended kind.
My opinion might be biased so I should not respond.
Oh no, I'm about to hit the "submit reply" button ......... D'oh! :surprise:

·
Double Secret Probation
288 Posts
I wouldn't get the extended warranty. The odds of a $750+ repair on a Kawasaki are pretty slim.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I am very skeptical of extended warranties of all descriptions. For one thing, they rarely cover everything you think, or are led to believe, they will. Second, most I have seen are not transferable to a new owner, so if you think you're passing on added value to a buyer -- usually you are not. The only ones I have gone for were a couple that were offered free in order to sweeten a deal on a new vehicle, and then only after I was pretty sure I couldn't get a lower sale price than what was being offered. In those cases the dealers, who knew darned well that a claim on the extended warranty was highly unlikely, were just making a sale without cutting further in to their profit margin. A bit of a gamble on their part, but not much of one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts