Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got my Yamaha xs1100 going, needs some fine tuning, my conundrum is to find out if I should use luggage and a windshield or not to. keep in mind I have been riding for about 4 years or so- who knows I may have lost count- I learned to ride on a vintage bike with a backpack, a helmet and a jacket. the luggage is heavy, ugly and will probably slow me down if I need to outrun a line of traffic. the bike is hardwired for the fairing though and I don't want to rewire it because I suck at it.
my current bike

my other bikes

·
Registered
467 Posts
I guess everybody has their own tastes. I understand not wanting the luggage because it's big and heavy, but I personally think it's some of the better-looking luggage I've ever seen. I think it goes really well with the bike.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Doesn't cost anything to leave it for some time and see whether you use the stuff or not. You won't have trouble selling the luggage anyway, it's is as has been said, some of the best and best looking. Windjammer made another fairing that would have gone better with that luggage but they may have done that after it was available to the guy the first time around. It was smaller and more angular that better matched the luggage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
To me, it depends if you have use for it. I usually just carry a backpack, as well, but if you are going for a long hard ride and or have a decent amount to carry, test it out. I think you'll be suprised how much it doesn't slow you down. Just depends on what you need.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
That fairing is horrible, but I actually think that luggage is really groovy!
I'm just the opposite. fairing I can live with, but the luggage????? Where did they get those lights for the top case? Looks like maybe a gravel truck?Any way,why four red lights up there?

I have a 'jammer on a CB750, and it is not beautiful, but I can ride in 20 degree weather no problem. It pushes the air up so just a bit hits the top of my helmet and once at 60 MPH, you can actually feel that air bubble push against your back just a bit. That's the good thing about vintage bikes. You can afford to have more than one and ride whichever one suits your use on any given day

·
On The Road Again!
3,845 Posts
I have two bikes with Windjammers. Great fairings. Like Slumlord says, it deflects much of the wind around you.
The one thing I've changed on each of mine is the windshield. It's too tall. I want to be looking just over the top of it, not through it. I've cut each of mine down a bit so that when I'm looking straight ahead, I'm looking "just barely" over the top edge of the windshield. The air still flows up and over me, but I don't have the distortion of the plexiglass to contend with, especially at night.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I was actually thinking of taking the top piece off the back and leaving the rest of the luggage. still unsure about the fairing, it makes the engine hard to work on.
she needed work so here is how she sits

·
Premium Member
8,944 Posts
Leave it.

Leave all the stuff on. Get another XS11 with different gear, and another one stripped.
I have the same bike with the same gear. It will be the cruiser model. Will not be as fast as my 79 XS11 Special, but who cares.
When i get the bagger running, I may run it down past your area on my way to The Ridge next year.
I agree the original gear is a bit on the ugly and heavy side, but it is classic.
I removed the Vetter fairing from my 79 and just use a plastic screen the connects to the bars. I also deep sixed the Vetter top box and put on something not as ugly. Those two pieces were older and uglier than yours, and mine on the 80.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Premium Member
8,944 Posts
Windshield

I have two bikes with Windjammers. Great fairings. Like Slumlord says, it deflects much of the wind around you.
The one thing I've changed on each of mine is the windshield. It's too tall. I want to be looking just over the top of it, not through it. I've cut each of mine down a bit so that when I'm looking straight ahead, I'm looking "just barely" over the top edge of the windshield. The air still flows up and over me, but I don't have the distortion of the plexiglass to contend with, especially at night.
I cut down the windshield on my 79 as you describe. The new bike is much taller. I was going to try it as is, but will likely cut it down too.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Leave all the stuff on. Get another XS11 with different gear, and another one stripped.
I have the same bike with the same gear. It will be the cruiser model. Will not be as fast as my 79 XS11 Special, but who cares.
When i get the bagger running, I may run it down past your area on my way to The Ridge next year.
I agree the original gear is a bit on the ugly and heavy side, but it is classic.
I removed the Vetter fairing from my 79 and just use a plastic screen the connects to the bars. I also deep sixed the Vetter top box and put on something not as ugly. Those two pieces were older and uglier than yours, and mine on the 80.

Unkle Crusty*
The ridge next year huh? seems like a long ride, maybe I'll have this thing in good running order by then.

·
Premium Member
8,944 Posts
The Ridge

The ridge next year huh? seems like a long ride, maybe I'll have this thing in good running order by then.
I think it is about 220 miles. If I do not get the dresser Yami running properly, I will probably ride the 79 Special down. It is more comfortable on long freeway rides than my newer Suzuki.
It is a shorter ride if I go to Victoria BC, then get the Coho ferry to Port Angeles.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
If you put serious miles on that bike you will be happy to have the Vetter fairing. I would sit on the bike with a marker in hand and put a line on the windshield just below eye level so that it is showing as if it was 50 feet in front of you on the road. Then remove the windshield and go to a glass shop to get it trimmed to your line. That will put the windshield at an ideal level and remove some of the sail effect of that fairing.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Whether you go with that fairing or another type I strongly urge you use some type of fairing.

Many years ago I got hit by a Bumble bee (not a honey bee) stinger first in my right shoulder doing about 70 mph. I almost lost it from the impact but managed to keep it under control until I could get the bike to a a stop. Those bees weigh close to a ounce and have a hard shell so it was almost like getting shot. My right arm was numb for about 10 minutes before I could operate the throttle again.

Next day I bought a clear "Authur Fulmer" fairing.

Another bad experience about riding without a fairing is when on a warm spring day a yellow jacket flew into my shirt and was not very happy about it.

P.S. They can sting more than once!

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Whether you go with that fairing or another type I strongly urge you use some type of fairing.

Many years ago I got hit by a Bumble bee (not a honey bee) stinger first in my right shoulder doing about 70 mph. I almost lost it from the impact but managed to keep it under control until I could get the bike to a a stop. Those bees weigh close to a ounce and have a hard shell so it was almost like getting shot. My right arm was numb for about 10 minutes before I could operate the throttle again.

Next day I bought a clear "Authur Fulmer" fairing.

Another bad experience about riding without a fairing is when on a warm spring day a yellow jacket flew into my shirt and was not very happy about it.

P.S. They can sting more than once!
Oh boy can they. I usually get reminded of that every spring. Yellow jackets are nasty and everywhere here. They like building a nest just out of sight but where you'll brush into them. Then the fight is on.:D

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have had a bee go down the back of my shirt and jacket one time while I was riding, got me in the small of my back right on the spin area.
I know a lot of the older riders like fairings and luggage. Me, I don't really care for it at this point- except for the cowlings that go around the motor, those are really cool.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts