Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a Yamaha V-Star 650. I love this bike but the horn is just too wimpy. I dread having to use it. I used it once and although it did what it was supposed to, I was rather embarrassed.

I'm thinking of switching it out for a PIAA Slimline but nowhere can I find the dimensions for it. Most sites say it's compatible with most bikes. None of the stores I go to have it in stock (the response is always, "but we can order it for you.") Does anyone own one or can they vouch that I would have no compatibility issues with it?

Thanks!
Sam

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,502 Posts
Wolo Bad Boy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. I love the sound of it. From the ones I was looking at though, looks like I would have to jerry-rig it to the side of the bike. Looking for one that would replace the stock one in its location.

·
American Legion Rider
25,898 Posts
If it doesn't have crash guards, get some. Then you'll have all kinds of mounting spots.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I used the FIAMM highway blaster on my VStar 650....bolted right up in the stock location and used the stock wiring.....major improvement. They have a knockoff at OReillys....same horn. NAPA probably carries the same.

Under $20....5 mins of your time.....BIG improvement.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I used the FIAMM highway blaster on my VStar 650....bolted right up in the stock location and used the stock wiring.....major improvement. They have a knockoff at OReillys....same horn. NAPA probably carries the same.

Under $20....5 mins of your time.....BIG improvement.
Do you have a pic of it on your bike?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
If you are looking for a wiring kit that includes the relay - search amazon.

You can get the same things from Radio Shack, but sometimes it's just easier to get a kit

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Another concern is getting the right voltage/amperage. I don't want to blow a fuse or fry my electrical (if that's even possible). Is there any difference in the electrical juice between a 112db and 115db or is it negligible?

Thanks Aaronrkelly- I'm gonna go check our O'Reilly's tomorrow.

Ralphlong- I'd rather avoid a kit. I'd like to do like aaronrkelly and have it just hook right up to the stock connections.

Badlands- do you have any favorites?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Sound level will not necessarily mean a different current draw. Not all horns have the same efficiency in converting electrical energy into sound. On the other hand, nearly all of the after market horns will draw enough power that they should be on their own circuit with only the relay in the old horn circuit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE: I ended up purchasing a PIAA 76501 500Hz Slim Line Sports Horn. Sounds great!! Just like a car. Took literally less than 5 minutes to install. Actually spent about 10 minutes because I was trying to get the vented (open side) to face down as instructed. However, the bracket attached to it makes it face upward. I wanted to loosen the bolt on the horn so I can reposition the bracket but the manufacturer's leaflet says that to remove said nut may cause the horn to not function properly or not function at all. I didn't want to take the risk so I have the vent facing up.

The only risk I see to that is if water splashes up into it and collects. I'm not so worried about dust. If for whatever reason it malfunctions because of moisture, I'll just go buy another horn. At $50, I'm satisfied. I have a feeling it will last a long time if not forever. If it fails, then I'll just try something new.

Bottom line: Sounds great and no more wimpy sound.

·
American Legion Rider
25,898 Posts
If you're anything like me, you'll find you'll be reacting to avoid the idiots rather than honk at them. At least that's what has happened since I put a louder horn on my bike. Seems things just happen too quick to do both. That or I hit the directional light instead of the horn.:) That has happened once which is a big let down.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How often do you use the horn anyway?

Then again for $50 it's not much of an investment to replace it, mine sounds pretty lame as well

·
Banned
916 Posts
How often do you use the horn anyway?
I love it when I am at a stoplight, the light changes and the person behind me honks within seconds of the light changing.

I'd like to get out of my car, or off my bike, and walk back to ask them if something is wrong.

Some people have no patience.

Not now, these days, might get shot......

A good horn is not a bad thing.

Those wig-wag headlights, those are a bad thing.

Not sure why, they just aggravate me, they scream "attention whore".

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,502 Posts
Here in the Baltimore/Washington area I use my horn quite often, but mostly to voice displeasure after having to make an avoidance maneuver.

More of an after the fact like Hog

G

·
I remember reading somewhere that the wussy sounding horns were more effective at getting someone's attention than the more popular Oldsmobuick type horns, though I can't find the article to confirm it. Myself, I'm more likely to notice a wussy horn. "How dare they toot at me with that wimpy sounding horn.":biggrin:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I don't think I have used my horn in years...doesn"t do any good with idiots....just drive around them and give them the one finger salute

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was actually hesitant on even upgrading the horn for all the reasons you guys have listed. I figure in case I need it, might as well be ready.

A good horn is not a bad thing.

Those wig-wag headlights, those are a bad thing.

Not sure why, they just aggravate me, they scream "attention whore".
SR71- I know exactly what you mean. I don't know why those things aren't illegal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was actually hesitant on even upgrading the horn for all the reasons you guys have listed. I figure in case I need it, might as well be ready.

SR71- I know exactly what you mean. I don't know why those things aren't illegal.
Assuming we're talking about the flashing headlight? I believe those are actually legal because they're safer. Like anything, if it makes other motorists take a second glance, it's usually a good thing.

I've had several people suggest running your high beam during the day. It isn't blindingly bright, but it does make people go "hmm that headlight is strangely bright" which should mean they aren't hitting you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts