Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Im doing some debating and would like some help making up my mind. I got a versys 300 as my first bike in July of 2017. I was interested in doing both on and off road riding. But after dabbaling in the offroad stuff Ive decided I dont want to do it. I'll stick to my mountain bike. Im looking into getting a Ninja 400. I like the street bikes better then dual sports. I think its just a style / stigma thing. Racy looking bikes are attractive. Im debating between three options. Selling my Versys 300, and buying a Ninja 400. (I already have some specialty tools, and service manual and custom parts on the Versys, and its my first bike, so I'm a little hesitant to sell.) Buying the Ninja 400 and keeping the Versys 300. (Would the Versys still have a purpose? Would it get used enough to be worth keeping, if I had the Ninja too? Worth the cost of paying two insurance bills? Or the space it takes up in the garage? or the old ladys nagging?) Or lastly modifying the Versys to be better on road/highway, and not buying the Ninja at all.(will slick street tires and an extra tooth on the sprocket be enough of an improvment, or should I not bother and just get the Ninja? ) There are pros and cons to all three options, and I cant make up my mind. I'd like input from those who are older and wiser then me.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,506 Posts
Give the Versys a chance, good street tires for it when it's time will make a huge differance. IMO the Ninja 400 is not an impressive bike anyway.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
I can totally understand wanting to keep your first bike. My brother-in-law still has my first bike and I hope to one day get it back. BUT...I absolutely loved it. Maybe you don't feel the same way about your Versys.

I got the feeling from your post that looks and image are important to you. And that is completely okay. If that is the truth I think it is important to own that. You can do whatever you want to your Versys but you will never ride down the road on it and feel like you have the sport bike look you after, if that is the case. My coworker bought a Honda Shadow to start with and rode it for three years, every day wishing it were a Harley. Finally he put together enough money to buy the Harley he always wanted.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes and no. I like the way sport bikes look, but with out the utility of the cargo rack and soon to be panniers too... IDK what I'd do. I Haul to much stuff that is. I dont leave the house with out my day bag. So I've always got a back pack minnimum. Maybe I just spent to long watching hooligans with cbr 1000s on you tube before I decided to get a bike of my own. Street wise I have no complaints about the Versys 300. Never felt under powered. The only time I ever had a problem, I probably should have down shifted to 4th instead of 5th because of 6 speeds. Brakes arent inadequate either. (suspention is a little soft) Stock tires have never let me down and I've managed to scrape both pegs multiple times. I would like a little more pull for entering highways but, meh. I find my self regularly entering interstate 10 going with the throttle wide open thinking "thats it? " I dont need more speed, just better acceleration. Im a little worried that the Versys 300, will it become a 400 like the Ninja did, and ill be unable to get parts? I agree that the ninja 400 is bad. The 250/300 size is great for beginners. Its a usable bike for commuting and learning. fast enough to do highways so long as you dont run it wide open for hours on end. They are forgiving and lower cost to buy and insure. But the lower weight and more power in the 400 is getting to be a bit much. Might as well just buy a 600. and if you buy a 600 they're pretty zippy. might as well buy a whole liter. I think Kawaski is answereing a question that no one asked with the ninja 400. If theyre so concearned with being competative against the other 250/300 cc sport bikes i would have focused on reducing weight, improving brakeing, standard abs? improving ergonomics, increasing fuel economy, improving ease of maintnance, reducing cost, or any combination there if. I refuse to go buy a bigger bike like say an SV 650 or FZ 07 because 1. Its insurance is more, 2. the extra power would get me ded or arrested 3. they dont get better fuel economy then the car I already own. 4. theyre heavier. I have a small birth defectc in my lower back, and if i hsve to pick it up, i want as light as possible. (same reason I cant ride a cruiser. the reclined seating postion would put to much weight on my tail bone and id be walking funny for days. I need to lean into it, cuddle the gas tank.)The only reason I suggested a ninja 400, is because It fits my height. the ninja 300, gs310 and rc 390 were all too small. my knees wouldnt fit into the scoops under the gas tank. Plus most of my ride is interstate and I worry Im pushing the 300 to hard to cruise at 75/80. With out a significantly higher top speed the 400 does offer more torque and lower rpm at cruise speed for roughly the same mpg and price tag. So for my odd ball situation, it might be right. Keeping the 300 and saving money will make the MRS Happy too though.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Tough call, but you are making some contradictory statements like the Versys has never felt under powered but you want better acceleration. I know that is a big reason why I moved from my 300 to my 600 but those 300's love to rev and I cruised thousands of miles in the 80 mph range with no problems. You then say if you buy the 400, you might as well go with a 1000. I think that is a pretty big jump! I know the 400 is getting very good reviews and, tbh, sounds like what you trying to talk yourself into, i.e. more power without blasting you into the stratosphere, light weight, and good gas mileage.

Then again, tires can totally transform how a bike feels and handles, and going down a tooth may be just enough "umph" on the highway to keep you happy! On the plus side of keeping the Versys, if the tires and sprocket change aren't enough, you aren't out too much money. Sprockets are cheap and new-ish tires are a great selling point! Like I said, it's a tough call but, ultimately, one only you can make.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
Trade it for a Versys 650 and then you won't go through this conundrum again for a while.:smile_big:

The larger Twin Kawasaki is a mild streetbike, only developing any real power in the higher RPM's so as you are learning, stay in your safe RPM and SPEED zone. The 650 will have the added benefit of some TORQUE which is much more 'user friendly' for a new rider than HP and acceleration:wink2:

Both your 300 and the Ninja 400 are great little bikes though so if you are happy, do like Aphrodite suggested and make your bike more street worthy, keep it real clean and sell it later when you decide it's too small for you---you will grow if you eat right:grin::grin::grin:

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats what my father said. Get a 650, or a weestrom. he's got a KLR 650, and i rode that thing around once. it felt like a tank, the weight intimidates me. If it was strong enoughbfor the highway id ride a grom. even the Versys 300 feels heavy, especialy off road. the ninka 400 is 10-15 pounds lighter. Ive only got about 4700 miles under my belt though. Ill hang onto it long enough to need a second set of tires, and see how it feels with some sticky street meats under it.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
If it was strong enoughbfor the highway id ride a grom..
That's what 300cc or greater engine swaps are for! :devil:

A friend wants to make a 300cc Ruckus using the wrecked Ninja he got (as payment for service on a Moto Guzzi) and a 50cc Ruckus frame, if he can find one. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Squeezing the heart a ninja 300 into a grom sounds dangerous.... Maybe to much fun. are the old ninja 250s significantly smaller or lighter power plants?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts