Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tubeless rims...but the tires I want to install only come Tube Type.

Manufacturer says that Tube tires can be installed on tubeless rims with a tube...so no problem there.

But, am I going to regret the tubes...

Totally on the fence...can't find anything to push me one way or the other...opinions please:coffeescreen:

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I have tubeless rims...but the tires I want to install only come Tube Type.

Manufacturer says that Tube tires can be installed on tubeless rims with a tube...so no problem there.

But, am I going to regret the tubes...

Totally on the fence...can't find anything to push me one way or the other...opinions please:coffeescreen:
The only issue I can see is if the hole for the tubeless valve stem on your rim is of the type that's a lot wider then the smaller type for a tubed tire, and doesn't give the tube enough support right in that area.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
What tires are tube only? I would think that most of them would work on a solid rim.

The valve stem hole in the rim is a problem. A tube in a tubeless rim will also have a tendency to spin inside the tire. Rim strips in a spoke wheel help with that because it stays put holding the tube in place as long as the pressure is kept up.

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
--

As to the spinning of the tube, you can still put a rubber rim strip in even if you don't have spokes. That may also give some extra support if your hole is a tad bigger than necessary. However, I would always run tubeless whenever possible as you can seal them easier with a plug kit on the road and without removing the wheel. With a tube, you'll have to remove the wheel and repair, or more likely get towed back to a tire shop.

I'm surprised there are any tube-only tires out there for bikes.

--

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm surprised there are any tube-only tires out there for bikes.
When you're looking at Dual Sport tires, many are tube only. What I've found is that they make the tire both Tube and Tubeless, but they don't sell the Tubeless version in the USA.

The Tires I want on the bike are the TRAIL WING SERIES DUAL-SPORT TIRES (TW39/40)..they make them tube and tubeless...but...yep, they don't offer the tubeless version in the USA...I even called Bridgestone to confirm and they said they "don't sell enough in the USA to justify importing them"...with the Cafe craze, I think they would be surprised how many they would sell..old and custom bikes look great with that knobby style of tires.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Another thing to keep an eye on is the air outside the tube, but inside the tire when inflating. A spoke wheel has places for that air to escape as the tube expands. A cast wheel only has the stem hole. You may initially inflate the tire to 30 lbs, and 30 minutes later only have 5 lbs as the air around the tube slowly escapes. It usually just requires multiple inflations until holds.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
It is not easy to run tubeless tires on spoked rims. You have to seal every spoke to keep the air from escaping from a tubeless tire. That would make it a non-issue as far as a Cafe bike is concerned. That is the reason most dual sport bikes have tubes, they have spokes too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts