Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a boggle...
I just purchased a disassembled Venture Royal at a garage sale for 100.

I received a title from a person who was selling the bike for a guy I talked with on the phone, The title was in the name of the previous owner before him. It was signed, and written sale for $250.00 the title was never changed over from the last sale. The lady I gave the money to, gave me a hand written note that my trustee(who was with me when I bought the bike) drew up that says, something to the effect of..."sold to -me- on -date- for the sum of -100-" and she signed it with the guys name that was on the phone that I talked to. His name address and phone was written on the note. This is supposed to be all legal and everything because I have the title. The truth is, I'm not going to worry about it, because the first chance I get, I am going to go get it changed over at the court house. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this kind of transaction, and what I should do if this flares, comes back and haunts me?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
They will probably need it to be notarized, which means would need to be signed in front of the notary.

The title should have additional "sold to" spaces as to what is used when the bike goes from dealer to dealer.

I can see you having to track down the seller.

·
Registered
886 Posts
As I understand it the title has to be signed by the actual last registered owner, not someone else signing their name. That letter from whoever isn't worth the paper it's written on if the bike was reported stolen. Sounds shady as you say there are two or three people between the last name on the title. Here in Maryland there is a way around all the headache and that is to get a new title as an abandoned vehicle or lost title, assuming the VIN isn't reported stolen.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Don't know about where you are but in Texas you cannot skip an owner.If you buy from someone that did not register it their name then you have to track down the person it is titled and do the paperwork with them.I can attest to the fact that it is a pain in the ass,I don't go near those situations anymore,you want to sell it to me then register it!

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
I purchased a $600 motorcycle trailer under similar circumstances, off of Craigslist.com: the seller bought it from a friend, but they never transferred the title, to save money. It was a headache! I had to have the last registered owner sign a form, along with the guy who sold it to me, and I had to sign a form, as well. The State of Minnesota took several months to send me paperwork explaining how to get the title in my name, but I had to go back to them, to find out where my title was, and why they hadn't sent it to me...

The seller dodged me for a few weeks, until I gave him an ultimatum: 1) fill out the form and return it; 2) we meet, and I get my cash back, and he takes back the trailer; 3) or, if I did not hear back from him within one week, I would file suit in Small Claims Court for the money I gave him for the trailer... Miraculously, he suddenly responded to my e-mail (claimed illness stopped him from previously responding...), and he mailed me the completed forms, with all necessary signatures. I've now owned that trailer, legally, for two years, without issue. I fulfilled the legal requirements; if anything pops up about it being stolen, then they are on the hook for it -- I may lose my trailer, and my money, but it has not happened yet. :wink:

Your situation is similar, and it could become quite difficult to clear up ownership with the State. Best of luck, but don't be afraid to ask them to put up, or else face you in Small Claims Court (can be tricky, tedious, and expensive to resolve, if necessary, but it has a lot of intimidation factor behind it). Cheers!
:coffee:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The folks at the court house issued me a title, after I gave then some money...
Then and now I wait for the 2 weeks and all, and even though I have the title changed over, I think I will always wonder if the state wasn't playing games with this old "00000" miles title because it is an antique.
I thought that if a machine became 35 years old that it went on the high risk list, and at 50, became an antique that is only registerable as such. This machine is quite 50. My XS is 35, this one is an XVZ and it is 50 on 2034.
Some times numbers sound the same to me, like someone will say fifty and I will think they said 15 or "nifty"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts