Motorcycle Forum banner

Title

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Mark G 
#1 ·
Has anyone gone through Vermont to get a title/ registration?

#3 ·
I’m from Montana. I bought a bike here with no title. The owner and I wrote out a bill of sale but didn’t get it notarized. Montana requires a bill of sale to be notarized. I’m having trouble contacting the guy now so I thought I would look into the Vermont thing. Still hoping to get in touch with the seller.

#7 ·
Did you contact Montana Vehicle Services Bureau to ask their advice on which way you can proceed? Connect with Us - Montana Department of Justice

It seems there must be a way. Even the bureaucrats should recognize this as a possible legitimate transaction.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Title-less vehicles aren't typical dmv transfers/registration so it's been my experience that 1 out of 10 knows a little bit of what's required, and 1 in 20 knows most of what's required. Vast majority of dmv clerks didn't have a clue.

A trip to the dmv to talk to a body may be helpful but don't be surprised when they aren't...

As gov't employees, some didn't care to be helpful w pursuing alternatives &/or solutions and were simply rude...

Good luck.

IIRC some states don't take Vermont registration because they know its an easy route for title-less vehicles to get registered online...

#15 ·
Vermont loophole only works for 250 or smaller bikes as they don’t issue titles for those. Registration only.