Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a bike a year back and have been slowly working on it and it's about done now. But the dude who sold me it and myself didn't know much about bikes and selling them and what not. Long story short he sold me the bike with a signed title and everything but I haven't signed it yet and we didn't take it to get notorized or anything. Is that a problem or can I sign it and go to the DMV and get it put in my name??? What should I do? If you have an idea I'd greatly appreciate your help.Thanks. (state of Ohio)

·
Gone
23,903 Posts
Just be prepared to pay a fine for waiting; at least in MO, they do.
That's going to vary by state. Some states require that the registration never lapses on a vehicle and will charge for back registration as well. It's really not a fair system having to pay when not using the roads.

There aren't any fees like that for Illinois. It just has to have the title transferred, insurance bought, and the registration paid before heading out on the street.

I'm not sure how Ohio handles it.

·
Premium Member
5,919 Posts
In Missouri, we have something called 'personal property tax', which begins the first of the year after you bought it, whether it runs or not. The state also wants the sales tax. If you delay registering the title, they still want the taxes from when you should have registered, so will levy a fine for unpaid taxes, added to the tax you should have paid, or you can't get plates for it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't care if they tax me I just want to be able to get the bike in my name. I'm just worried because I don't have the guys contact info anymore if I were needed to contact him to get it notorized

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I am from Ohio. If you have the signed title for more than 30 days there is a small fine and that is it.

If you get vehicle tags you need to buy insurance for the bike. If you let the tags expire for a certain amount of time, there is a fine unless you have turned in the tag. There is no fine for having a titled bike that has no license plates or insurance unless you ride it on the road. Riding on expired tags costs about $200.00 DAMHIK

Farm trucks and farm trailers have more lenient rules.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
additional info Here is what the seller needs to do

The front of the title should state the seller's name purchase price, and what he paid for the bike. Also the transfer tax on the sale that he paid to get the new title. It also states the previous owner's [the guy who owned the bike before him] name and address.

The BACK of the Ohio title needs to have, filled out by the seller.

1 Assignment of ownership --seller fills out the date of sale and the selling price. Below that, you will print your name and address as the buyer.

2 Odometer certification checkmark the actual mileage box and fill out the odometer reading

3 along with the odometer reading, the seller signs his name states his address and the date of the sale The Notary also prints and signs his or her name and STAMPS the title. There is a good reason for this. The notary gets the seller to show he is the actual person who is selling the bike and gets the seller to prove his identity.

[ You either need a notary who will agree to notarize the title without the seller present or get the previous owner to have the title notarized. It sounds like this was not done]

BEFORE you transfer the title to your name.

1 check that the serial number on the bike matches the title.

2 Transfer the bike to your name by filling out the bottom half of the back page of the title [stated as "Application for Certificate of Title"] and paying the fees--which results in getting it notarized yet again

3. Buy insurance and then buy your license plates

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
27,442 Posts
Seems to me if I remember correctly that in Texas all I had to do was sign something that said the vehicle wasn't in use. In other words they trusted me. How strange is that in this day and age???:D But it's been awhile so I might be wrong.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.