Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I need new tires for a 1979 Honda Hawk CB400T1. The OEM tires were Bridgestone 3.60-19 and 4.10-18. I've looked at several websites and get confusing, sometimes conflicting information. One example: Some websites say Dunlops will fit, but the Dunlop website does NOT list any tires for my bike. And to make things even more complicated, no one (not even Honda Corp) is able to tell me my rim widths. Any ideas?
Thanks, Cal

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
What are you wanting out of a tire? You have your tire sizes. Most manufacturers make most of the sizes. You want sticky tires for canyon carving, get the brand and model sportbike riders use. You want tires for longevity and mileage, check out the Metzler Marathons (I think).

The point is, you know how you ride better than anyone else. A proper size Dunlop tire will fit just as well as the proper size Bridgestone tire but each one will have different characteristics. It's those characteristics you're wanting to make your bike perform the way you want it to. Good luck in your search. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Juan and Retired Guy. Well I'm a little farther along on this search. I now know my Rim Width is 1.85". But here's the confusing part: My Rear tire is a 4.10-18. Original. I would like to replace it with the same size. I can find the tires. But all the "Fitment Charts" I've seen say I can't use a 4.10. Not with a 1.85" rim. Gee Whiz
What are you wanting out of a tire? You have your tire sizes. Most manufacturers make most of the sizes. You want sticky tires for canyon carving, get the brand and model sportbike riders use. You want tires for longevity and mileage, check out the Metzler Marathons (I think).

The point is, you know how you ride better than anyone else. A proper size Dunlop tire will fit just as well as the proper size Bridgestone tire but each one will have different characteristics. It's those characteristics you're wanting to make your bike perform the way you want it to. Good luck in your search. :)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,670 Posts
Have you actually measured the distance across the rim? Is it really less than 2"?

Reactions: CalHawk

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,670 Posts
BUT have you measured it? I'm not saying that isn't on your rim, but what does it mean? That is a bicycle size rim. I did a quick search on line and there a couple of eBay that show the stamping. One has a listing for the front tire as a 360s14 on a 19" rim which doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I think I see what the problem is. Nothing is measured the way it was back in 1979. I looked up the "factory" specs on a 1979 Honda Hawk CB400 and the front tire size is 3.60 - 19. The rear tire size is 4.10 - 18.

The last number is obviously the rim diameter. When I went to a motorcycle tire conversion chart, there's no 3.60 or 4.10. The tire diameter is not a problem, it's known. For front and rear tire size, converted to today's vernacular, you can just get close.

The closest I could figure, for a front tire is 100/90 - 19.
Rear tire is 100/90 - 18.

I hope this helps.

·
Ace Tuner
3,772 Posts
Those tire sizes (3.60-19 and 4.10-18) were some kind of specialty tire/sizes made for those skinny rims of old.
I can not remember anything about them other than they were not measured the standard, normal way of measuring the size of a tire back then.
That is WHY the fitment charts are confused and confusing. THEY DON'T KNOW ABOUT THOSE OLD, ODD TIRE SIZES.
Luckily I remember when a bike (KZ650) I owned came with a 1.85-19 front rim. I later changed it to a 2.15-19 but that's a different thread altogether.

Here are the sizes that will match that front rim (1.85) just fine:
3.25-19
3.50-19
100/90-19
The 3.50 and 100/90 are all but the same size. The 3.25 is a little different. Any one of the three will fit the rim well.
I used a 100/90-19 on the old KZ. I believe it probably came with a 3.25-19.

Wish I could remember more about that 4.10-18... But Noooo.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Guys.
Retired Guy - I'm going to stay with inch sized tires if I can. So yes, the 3.50-19 Front is what I want to buy, but only if it will be a good match with a 4.00-18 Rear. I would like to maintain the 1/2" difference between the original 3.60 Front and the 4.10 Rear.
The 3.50-19 and 4.00-18 sizes are both available. SemiFast: What's your take on this? The 4.00-18 Rear on the 1.85" rim?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts