Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, what would you recommend for virago 535? I would like the best grip, mileage can be lower. I think about metzeler roadtec 01 90/90/19 on front and michellin commander 140/90/15 III on back. Is such mix ok?

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,375 Posts
thought we covered this in your other post?

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,375 Posts
The main factor in chosing a tire are your intended riding style. Such as street, off road, race track etc...this should be the number one factor, then it comes down to the compound of the tire, there is superhard, hard, medium, soft, supersoft, ultrasoft and hypersoft.

Each will have its benefits based on the type of road, the temprature that day etc. this is why race teams have several types on hand, as the weather is a big factor. The softer the compound the faster the wear and shorter the life, and vise versa for harder compounds.

I ride on city streets, and some country roads and only in warm weather. I personally use a couple different brands based on price at that given purchase interval.

I use Avon on the rear with a medium compound, and a metzler up front. sometimes you will see a pirelli on the front, or a Michelin. I wont use anything outside of the brands I have mentioned, and this is based on personal choice..

So whats your intended riding style?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I usually ride on smaller country roads with more curves, only in warm weather and when it is not raining. Sometimes I like to go for a litte faster, sporty ride on those curves so I want tires that I will know will stick to the road even in bigger lean angles

·
Registered
279 Posts
1st off, welcome aboard. That said, I'm a recent fan of Metzeler tires. Avon and non-OEM Dunlop are very good as well (I'm a very long fan of Dunlop). I'd skip anything Michellin, but that's just me. Retailers of the above tires typically have many reviews that you'll want to look through.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes, but the biggest problem is my rim size and the choice of tires is limited. If I could I would buy marathons or dunlop elite's or avon cobra chrome (rear tire will fit, but for front I would have to buy different brand) but there are no sizes for my motorcycle and thus I need to mix tires if I want to have the more premium ones

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
309 Posts
I have no idea if they are available in sizes to fit your bike, but I log a lot of highway miles with a fair amount of "spirited" riding in the twisties on multi-state tours, rain or shine. I've been very satisfied with Michelin Pilot Roads (Pilot Road 4 GT was the last set). Good to excellent mileage, one of the best in the rain, and sticky enough to scrape the peg feelers.

·
Ace Tuner
3,320 Posts
Metz and Mich both make good tires.
You are limited in tire types because of the sizes you use but you have picked good brands.

S F

1 - 9 of 9 Posts