Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Ace Tuner
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In times past I used to run a race compound tire on the front of my street bikes and a sport compound on the rear.
Then DOT race tires became Very Specific and were recommended for dry only so I went to sport tires front and rear on my street machines.

These days I don't ride nearly as much as I used to so my front gets too old (hardened) to be safe long before the tread is gone. I generally get ~11,000+ miles out of a sport compound front tire. (I use the throttle a lot more than the brakes). Lol

I believe Metzeler was the first to advertise using a high content of silica in their performance tires and claimed silica provided increased grip in the wet.
Long story short... I found this to be true when I had an R6 Yamaha and ran a sport compound rear with very little tread grooves to disperse water.

I studied up on the latest DOT race tires thinking I'd likely not wear out a front before it 'aged out'. Turns out Bridgestone race tires are using silica enriched compounds. I decided to go for race compounds front and rear.
Bridgestone RS 11 front and an RS10 rear. They make an RS 11 rear but it is in short supply so I had to get the older type RS 10.
Pic below.
Can't wait to try these babies out. I bet they'll work in the wet... I can still get into my armored street leathers. (Takes a little effort though). ;)

BTW. If you need THE Rain Tire for a small-ish cage that provides Great Handling in the dry too. Michelin Crossclimate 2 is THE Tire You Need !
In pic below.
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

S F

·
Registered
388 Posts
Keep us posted. I'm using Michelin road 5's on my 99 VFR and have Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3's on my Monster and 97 VFR. The tires came on the Monster from the factory and decided to use on the VFR, both have decent grip and let you know what's going on but I suspect the Michelins are better in the rain even though I haven't tested the grip per se it's just obvious and from what I've researched.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Modern silica enhanced tires are amazing!

What bike are they going on?

Reactions: SemiFast

·
Ace Tuner
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Modern silica enhanced tires are amazing!

What bike are they going on?
Yes they are!
I guess 8 or 10 years ago at the race track one of the last 'youngsters' I knew that still roadraced was telling me they could keep running slicks when a little rain storm passed. He said the new compounds made that possible and that they only had to slow a little in the wet. Of course if it was a rain race they went to rains. I'm guessing silica might be part of the new compound in slicks these (or those) days.

The bike these tires are going on is my old first gen Yamaha FZ1, a 2003 year model. It is just about too old to fix if something happens to it but there are no other newer bikes out that would work for me like this one. After I gave it a good seat and the correct handlebars it is a very good "do everything" bike. Comfortable at 30 MPH thru town, tucked in at 150 or touching a peg in the corners. It has adjustable compression, rebound and spring preload front and rear. You can get that stuff and more on the latest sport bikes but not on what I see as the more "standard" type machines. I suppose if push came to shove I could modify a retro type into what I want but I'd rather not have to do all that. At my age I'm hoping to make my old FZ1 last as long as I do. I don't ride in the rain on purpose any more so maybe...

S F

·
American Legion Rider
26,026 Posts
With this talk of newer compounds for motorcycle tires, I'm wondering if it's possible today to over ride an older bike because of the newer compounds. Like getting the bike to flex like it was never designed to do causing a crash. Seems like a potential to me.

·
Ace Tuner
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With this talk of newer compounds for motorcycle tires, I'm wondering if it's possible today to over ride an older bike because of the newer compounds. Like getting the bike to flex like it was never designed to do causing a crash. Seems like a potential to me.
I think it could be.
My FZ1 has a good enough chassis for street with those sticky tires but a track day will 'gum them up' making them WAY sticky. That might do it.
Good thing I know I'm too old for that these days... I guess??? Hum 🏁

S F

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I've watched a few track oriented YT guys who feel it's better to learn on tires that are more road biased until you reach "advanced" levels. They note that the tires will allow you to over-ride your own ability and mask your shortcomings, while a less sticky tire is going to let you know you're doing something wrong...

·
Premium Member
9,893 Posts
Can't wait to try these babies out. I bet they'll work in the wet... I can still get into my armored street leathers. (Takes a little effort though). ;)

Quite a few guys can not get in and out of their leathers without a helping hand.
Marq Marquez touches his toes while stretching, in his leathers. I can only see mine, with specs on. UK

·
Ace Tuner
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've watched a few track oriented YT guys who feel it's better to learn on tires that are more road biased until you reach "advanced" levels. They note that the tires will allow you to over-ride your own ability and mask your shortcomings, while a less sticky tire is going to let you know you're doing something wrong...
That makes sense I guess.
In the beginning days of my endurance racing we tried a rear tire on a KZ650 that that would probably be called a 'sport compound' by todays standards. It felt like it wanted to crawl out under the bike in some of the fastest corners. It lasted well but didn't stick to well. Might have been a good thing for me as I was just starting out. There were no riders schools or track days at that time in our area. It was pay your money and take your chances...
After they started doing a riders school and required new riders to run three 'provisional novice races' without crashing, things got a lot safer. New guys these days got it made in the shade by comparison.

S F

1 - 9 of 9 Posts