Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Visionary
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a Public service announcement...

Most places are getting colder by the day as the seasons change, time to check your tire pressure! I noticed the bike I rode ysterday was telling me the tires were low on the monitor, i went through the garage and checked and inflated all of them. Every bike was between 3 and 8 pounds low in each tire, mostly due to the cooler temperatures!
My bike rode much better this morning at 40F/ 42R vs 35F/35R that it had yesterday :)

Be careful out there.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
Now listen to everyone change their tune because it's now too cold to ride. I've turned into a real wuss. Was 46º Tuesday morning when I set out and for the first time since last winter I had my heavy jacket on. And I still turned my heated grips up on the halfway setting. I just can't take the cold anymore. Heat, no problem. But y'all can have the cold. But even heat I dropped back a bit. Highest I rode in was only 104º this year. That's way down from the 110º last year. It's getting easy to find excuses not to ride it seems. I did notice I need to add air as the temps have dropped.

·
Zip
2,613 Posts
I put the thermo liner back into my leather coat, bought a new pair of Thinsulate leather gloves, and I'm enjoying these crisp clear 45º mornings.

Oh, and I took some time last night to add some air to my tires. 36F / 42R. They were both about 4 psi low.

Thanks for the timely reminder, Mike!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yup. Checked mine in the weekend. They were both a couple of pounds low. BTW, its -10 C (14 F) this morning up here... No snow accumulation yet but we've had some good flurries already.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Embellished topic ahead:
Remember, when the temps drop so does the handling of the tires on the road for the first ____ miles. I find I need to go about 25 miles before the bike starts to handle more like it would in the warmer temps.

Okay, back to original topic.

·
Registered
432 Posts
BTW, its -10 C (14 F) this morning up here... No snow accumulation yet...
My wife is up at the other place in NoDak and last I heard had about 6" of the white stuff -- here, I think it is supposed to be near 80F tomorrow, I'll check to make sure mine aren't over inflated...

:smile_big:

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
Embellished topic ahead:
Remember, when the temps drop so does the handling of the tires on the road for the first ____ miles. I find I need to go about 25 miles before the bike starts to handle more like it would in the warmer temps.

That's about the same distance I find before the tires start to feel like the tires I know. Once the tires warm up with the heat generated on the road, they begin to act like they are suppose to. So use caution to start with on cold mornings.

·
Zip
2,613 Posts
Embellished topic ahead:

This would be a great addition to the tips for commuters thread you started a little while back!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts