Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished up mounting and balancing a new Dunlop Q3+ rear tire. The previous one lasted me a little over a year and 5,000 miles (5,300) and I think that's pretty good for a sport bike, particularly since I ride... enthusiastically. It is a dual compound tire and my one track day allowed me to keep the sides almost as worn as the middle. The front is still in good shape so I'm hoping it holds up another year. I really like these as they are more tire than I can currently exploit!

Just wondering what your typical mileage is for the tires you use? Are you an "enthusiastic" rider or do you tend to be more relaxed?

·
Very Famous Person
10,002 Posts
--

Front tire on Road Star is getting near change time. Has 31,000 miles on it so far. Rear tires on two bikes are near half worn at about 15,000. Don't know exact wear as I haven't checked it for several months. Rears are car tires, of course.

--

·
Nightfly
4,598 Posts
--

Front tire on Road Star is getting near change time. Has 31,000 miles on it so far. Rear tires on two bikes are near half worn at about 15,000. Don't know exact wear as I haven't checked it for several months. Rears are car tires, of course.

--
Hey Ron... I ran a pair of Commander ll not too long ago. At the time they were touted as great for handling and mileage. Heard guys getting ridiculous mileage with them. I come along on my Sportster and after 5k they would not pass inspection. I cured that problem, I no long have my bike inspected. No one seems to notice. But I did get a set of Michelins

·
Very Famous Person
10,002 Posts
Hey Ron... I ran a pair of Commander ll not too long ago. At the time they were touted as great for handling and mileage. Heard guys getting ridiculous mileage with them. I come along on my Sportster and after 5k they would not pass inspection. I cured that problem, I no long have my bike inspected. No one seems to notice. But I did get a set of Michelins
--

Two notes: I use a rear stock tire on the front as it has more tread. And I can rotate the tire around after 15,000 miles on the Road Star and run it in the opposite direction which evens out the tread block ridges. I also am a fairly conservative rider.

--

·
Ace Tuner
3,489 Posts
I get about 3,000 miles out of a rear tire. If I take it easy on the throttle I can get about 3,200.

:smile:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Relaxed riding. A little more than 18,000, so far, on the rear tire.
--

--
Wow! Never would have guessed that a bike tire would be able to put on that type of mileage! Of course, Ron's doesn't count because he's committing a heresy! :smile_big:

I get about 3,000 miles out of a rear tire. If I take it easy on the throttle I can get about 3,200.
Are you particular to a specific brand/type or is that in general for any you use?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Metz 880 on Nomad and HD Ultra (daily commuting and long-pavement running).

Fronts -- usually 24-28K miles
Rear -- usually 15-18K miles

I usually change early, some may run another 2-5K

Just got a ZG1000 Connie; B'Stone and Dunlop -- will let you know in a year

·
Ace Tuner
3,489 Posts
Wow! Never would have guessed that a bike tire would be able to put on that type of mileage! Of course, Ron's doesn't count because he's committing a heresy! :smile_big:

Are you particular to a specific brand/type or is that in general for any you use?
The type I use...
"Sport" compounds that are made for street use and intended to be used on Sport Bikes.
I used a "sport touring" compound on the rear once, probably get near twice as much mileage out of a sport touring tire but I need TRACTION, and lots of it.

·
Visionary
5,246 Posts
Victory Visions, mostly interstate, cruising at 70-95 mph in all weather, I got 20-23K on the last 3 back tires and 23-26k on the fronts. 1 up riding only, almost never a passenger.
All were Dunlop Elite 4 tires.
I think I'm a fairly typical touring bike rider, riding pretty fast on the slab but not a hard rider by any means.

·
Premium Member
9,830 Posts

:smile:
Good to know you can extend the tyre life that much.
I just replace them when they wear out, or in one case when I did a slide.
On Yami that pulls the side car, I will switch to a more flat profile and heavy tread. It is a waste of Dunlop 404, to wear down the center. My tyres last several years, because I switch bikes often. The XS400 is currently parked, and getting excellent longevity from the tyres.

UK

·
On The Road Again!
4,189 Posts
Good Lord! Some of those mileage figures are AWFUL! I'd be replacing my tires every month if mine got 5,000 out of a tire!
My last Michelin Commander II front tire lasted over 18,000 miles on a 900 pound Goldwing.
And I'm not exactly the slowest rider out there.
I'll report back when I find out how long the car tire on the rear lasts.
:grin:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Most of my riding is not too enthusiastic - I like to push it at times, though. I only got a little over 4,000 miles out of the factory rear tire on my current bike. I'm at around 7,000 miles on this one (RoadSmart 2), and it will need to be replaced fairly soon - another thousand or maybe fifteen hundred miles.

I just finished up mounting and balancing a new Dunlop Q3+ rear tire. The previous one lasted me a little over a year and 5,000 miles (5,300) and I think that's pretty good for a sport bike, particularly since I ride... enthusiastically. It is a dual compound tire and my one track day allowed me to keep the sides almost as worn as the middle. The front is still in good shape so I'm hoping it holds up another year. I really like these as they are more tire than I can currently exploit!

Just wondering what your typical mileage is for the tires you use? Are you an "enthusiastic" rider or do you tend to be more relaxed?

·
Zip
2,512 Posts
I'm at around 7,000 miles on this one (RoadSmart 2), and it will need to be replaced fairly soon - another thousand or maybe fifteen hundred miles.
How does the RoadSmart 2 perform for you? Do you feel like you get pretty good traction wet and dry? I've been looking at the RoadSmart 2 for my next tires. I can buy two sets for the cost of a single set of Michelin PR4, and I know I surely won't get twice the mileage from the PR4s. I tend to ride pretty conservatively, and the RoadSmart 2 gets good reviews.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've been very happy with the RoadSmart 2. It has always held the road and handled well for me in every situation I've been in since installation, however honestly I don't ride much in the rain if I can help it. But when I've been caught out in the rain, or needed to ride on wet streets, it has performed well. I don't push it on wet roads, though. I think the RoadSmart 2 is a great value if you can find them. The RoadSmart 3 has been out awhile now, and it's supposed to be even better, but wow has the price gone up.

How does the RoadSmart 2 perform for you? Do you feel like you get pretty good traction wet and dry? I've been looking at the RoadSmart 2 for my next tires. I can buy two sets for the cost of a single set of Michelin PR4, and I know I surely won't get twice the mileage from the PR4s. I tend to ride pretty conservatively, and the RoadSmart 2 gets good reviews.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,480 Posts
Fixing to put new shoes on my 06 CBR 1000rr. It's got 14k on it, still running the original front pirelli diablo. It's on its second rear tire, a bridgestone bt023(it's a sport touring tire).

I could get more miles out of them, only one plug in the rear. I've had a new set of dunlop roadsmarts for awhile, so I thought I'd swap them out before my dunlop's get too old.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fixing to put new shoes on my 06 CBR 1000rr. It's got 14k on it, still running the original front pirelli diablo. It's on its second rear tire, a bridgestone bt023(it's a sport touring tire).
Lol! I've put 2,500 on my 2CT's and figure I'll need to replace 'em after my next track day at the end of August... if I take it semi-easy between now and then... 😈

I'd love to get a second set of rims to rotate between street and track tires!

·
Zip
2,512 Posts
So last year after posing my question to rje58 about the RoadSmart 2 tires, I bought a set. 10000 miles later (just yesterday) I replaced the front with another RoadSmart 2. The rear still has lots of tread left. So it appears I'm going to get 10000 miles from the front and maybe 15000 from the rear. Most of those 10000 miles were commuting, but lately I'm not doing any of that and instead going on rides on country roads and riding a little more aggressively.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,480 Posts
My 1k is basically a road bike. Only action it's ever seen was a lap around the Indianapolis Moto GP back in 08(just to be clear, I wasn't in the race, I coulda and I have no doubt I would have won! My free tickets came with VIP access and track access before the race). That was an awesome trip. It was amazing watching the Moto GP bikes plow through the wet track. It was the tail of the katrina hurricane passing through that day. Only stopped the race once to blow it off when a corner became completely covered. They'd come out of the last turn heading in to the straight pulling the front wheel up like it was dry.

My 06 F4i got the most abuse. It was just so easy to ride. Wish I hadn't a sold it, but when I did, it had ~18k on it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts