Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot find anything specific on them, but know there has to be some reason the stripes are cast into the shoulders of sport touring motorcycle tires. I have seen them on several makes of tires with some funny symbol in a circle nearby. I just cannot find any information on their purpose.

Tire Automotive tire Hood Tread Motor vehicle

· Registered
CB125T, EX250 commuter, Ninja 250 racebike, CBR250R(MC19), VF500F, CBR600RR, VFR750F
819 Posts
They're marketing gimmicks to sell more tyres to wanna-be racers. Squids can bench-race and compare their chicken-strips without pulling out ruler. Somewhere there's note indicating what lean-angle each line represents when mounted on proper rim.

I think it was Metzeler that 1st came out with this over 10yrs ago. Others followed since squids wanted this "feature". :)

· Ace Tuner
4,162 Posts
Could the funny symbol in a circle be the Michelin Man ? Is it a Michelin ?

The three stripes along the sides in the tread are there for your information.

When you scuff the tire over to the stripe closest to center:
You've leaned the bike over about as far as needed for most sane, safe riders.

When you scuff the tire over to the middle stripe:
You've cornered hard enough that any little old ladies that saw you said "Well I Never". And of course they never have.

When you scuff the tire down to the lowest stripe:
You've cornered hard enough that the Po Po would like to visit with you on the side of the road for a bit.
You may soon become familiar with the local D.A.'s office.

When you scuff all the way to the edge of the tread:
Are you crazy? That's a SPORT TOURING TIRE MAN! Not that it can't be done.
Probably depends on type of bike / tire brand, but still. Might be better to take care of your pending court case first anyway...

S F

· Registered
CB125T, EX250 commuter, Ninja 250 racebike, CBR250R(MC19), VF500F, CBR600RR, VFR750F
819 Posts
Yup, Road 5 me thinks.

• Helpful
Reactions: SemiFast

· Very Famous Person
3,896 Posts
--
Actually the circle figure is a zombie. It's to remind you that if you continue to side scrape that far on your tire, you will soon meet your maker and the only way in the future is to come back as a zombie.

It's an old country myth that was started by the Michelin company in France and lives on even today in wine country. Just look it up on line if you want confirmation--although some media, like Google, will suppress the story.
--

· Premium Member
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, Road 5 me thinks.

Oh, there! I see the Michelin Man in your photo. It is not so clear on my Michelins. The mold must have been getting along in its lifespan when my tires were made.

While I really like Semi's description, I doubt the tire manufacturers would explain the lines that way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts