Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Pilot of Gixxer
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My town of Encinitas CA, the # of lights, with sensors that wont pick up bikes, isn't too bad. However, when you do get a light that wont change, prepair to wait, because they wont change until you have a car come and trip a sensor for you.

There are a couple of tricks you can do to trip the sensors in my town:

If you ever pull up at a red light, take a look on the ground and see circular cuts in the pavement. That would be a sensor and I believe (If i'm mistaken, please let me know) That picks up electronic impulses from engines. Sometime motorcycle engines aren't big enough to trip these.

What to do? I have a list of these that i read in someone's blog taht worked for me (Link at the bottom)

Throw the kick stand down while the bike is running in neutral (if its in gear, most bikes engines will shut off because of a kill switch on the kickstand). Position the bike's kick stand over the circular cut in the pavement (Not in the circle, not out of the circle, but on the line) while the engine is running. This will better trip the sensor and always works for me.

You Can Rev your Engine, Sending wild amounts of Elcrtonic pulses can trigger a light, I dont use this too often, but sometimes works.

Call your Street Department and complain. Working at a hotel, the power of complaints is huge. SO KEEP CALLING THEM !!! Fix those lights.

Flash your Brights Sometimes works if street lights are outfitted with a sensor that'll pick that up... Works well with my gixxer because it has a "pass" trigger button that makes it really easy to rapidly flash the brights.

If your local area is a real problem, i suggest buying a Red light changer. they are about 30$ I am about to purchase one, so i dont have a review about them.

I got many of there tips from Friends/Family and this guys blog !!
(((Please message me for the link, I'm not yet allowed to post links)))

Get 'em Red Lights !!!!!

·
Shut up and Ride!
904 Posts
When you get the red light changer post a review I hope they really work!!

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
Red light changers work on the placebo effect. There is no way a magnet will help with the sensors in the road that operate on inductance. Read up a little bit on physics and you will understand.

·
10,757 Posts
I do not have many of these lights to deal with, but in the past when I have come to one that will not turn green, I turn right.

·
Read Only
950 Posts
Call your Street Department and complain. Working at a hotel, the power of complaints is huge. SO KEEP CALLING THEM !!! Fix those lights.
In most places, California I am fairly sure is this way (either by law or by policy I dont know which) they have to make the sensors work with bikes. CA also has a provision which I think is mentioned in the drivers manual for motorcycles where if you sit there for 2 cycles and it refuses to change you may treat it as a stop sign, which means proceed only when safe. Busy streets during rush hour is almost never safe so proceed with caution.

Additionally you can map out where these are and try to avoid them, make a series of right turns instead of a left if you know that it wont change, no one will pull up behind you and it wont be safe to make a left. Remember Captain Crash Idaho's video on making U-turns, try to do it in a parking lot instead of the street and watch out for suicide lanes. This is just a safety thing.

Flash your Brights Sometimes works if street lights are outfitted with a sensor that'll pick that up... Works well with my gixxer because it has a "pass" trigger button that makes it really easy to rapidly flash the brights.
You can see the sensors on most street lights, it will be a little tube. These are sensitive to IR and usually triggered by the interval of emergency vehicles. It would be wrong and probably illegal to fit your bike with an IR strobe light that operates at the same cadence as police, fire and EMS vehicles in your area (you can use a good quality camcorder and film the flashing to count the strobes per second to get a baseline). Some have done this with superbright IR LED matrices for years (in the 1980s it was a radio shack adjustable strobe light with an IR filter) to ensure more frequent green lights (not all systems are optical though, YMMV).

The reason this is wrong is it messes with the natural flow of traffic. In many places large regions are coordinated together to avoid grid lock and other problems, or at least minimize it. When you signal a light this way it causes cross traffic to have a red which cascades through the area causing backups and other things in other parts of the city which creates problems for other people. The more people that do this type of stuff the more likely they are going to upgrade the system to not accept "random input".

While looking for an image to show what I was talking about I stumbled across an article that talked about people making them:
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2005/08/68507

It also says it is illegal to sell or use these devices, apparently a law was passed in 2005 covering this specifically. So yeah, my "probably illegal" comment above seems to be accurate.

CCD cameras like police car dash cams are sensitive to IR, they will see the strobing coming from your bike. Most cameras out there are CCD now, most do not have IR filters which is why they are "night vision capable" with an IR illuminator.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,286 Posts
I only have a couple near me that do it and I try to avoid those. If I happen to be trapped at one I'll either just run it or go right and U-turn (legal here).

·
Pilot of Gixxer
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I almost forgot about this Thread, I did not know they were IR sensors. Yeah i wont be doing anything like that. Thank you Trixter, very informative.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I almost forgot about this Thread, I did not know they were IR sensors. Yeah i wont be doing anything like that. Thank you Trixter, very informative.
The IR sensors are used for emergency vehicles to force the light to change, not for normal traffic control.

I suppose triggering it would be one solution, but I wouldn't want to get caught doing it. It became a federal crime in 2005.

·
Read Only
950 Posts
The IR sensors are used for emergency vehicles to force the light to change, not for normal traffic control.

I suppose triggering it would be one solution, but I wouldn't want to get caught doing it. It became a federal crime in 2005.
Yeah, I mentioned that and provided the cite in the article I linked. There are 2 levels, one just keeps the green the other causes it to change.

I am curious how many are using "encryption" (my guess is its more of a coded light pulse and not really encryption). I almost want to build a detector now (the CCD in my cameraphone might work - shutterspeed/frame rate is the only limiter) and try to decode the pulses from the cop cars and see if there is any discernable pattern.

Why yes, I do get bored sometimes why do you ask? :)

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,210 Posts
lol Trixter, I think you need another project.... I have this computer I want built...

I have to agree with treating the light as a stopsign after a few cycles as well... that seems the safest bet, as long as you can do so safely. During busier times, I will pull ahead enough to have the car behind me be on the pad, triggering the light

·
Read Only
950 Posts
lol Trixter, I think you need another project.... I have this computer I want built...
Computers would cost :)

I am getting another bike soon (whenever they can get em in), maybe that will distract me. Either that or cause me to be in areas that actually have traffic signals more.. not sure if that is a good thing :p

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,210 Posts
lol, well, how about a custom bike project.... I have several project ideas running through my head =)

·
Banned
1,269 Posts
^^ +1.

If I sit at a light for more than 30-40 seconds, or observe a failure of the light to change; I will simply run it. Especially if there is no hope of a car triggering the light (late at night as an example).

·
Super Moderator
2,070 Posts
I found that shutting the bike off and restarting often works...don't know why...

·
Read Only
950 Posts
^^ +1.

If I sit at a light for more than 30-40 seconds, or observe a failure of the light to change; I will simply run it. Especially if there is no hope of a car triggering the light (late at night as an example).
That is legal in California. I think it has to go through two cycles not a time period, but if it does not change it is to be considered a "defective signal" and treated as a stop sign (ie go only when clear, its on you to make sure its clear, accidents are your fault).

I had to do that on my way to the first day of my MSF class. There are so few lights where I actually live that it is not an issue here, in this county the lights all work.

There was a thread about 8 months ago listing Oklahoma and some other states where it is legal to treat defective red lights as a stop sign. I think it was started because of a new law in OK that had just gotten passed. IIRC there was an AMA link to motorcycle laws, kinda a matrix of what each state requires and all that.

·
Read Only
950 Posts
I found that shutting the bike off and restarting often works...don't know why...
AFAIK lights with the ground sensor are using induction to detect a vehicle. It is a big coil in the ground and operates on the same principle as an RFID. When you run electricity through a coil a magnetic field is created and the only thing I can think of (theory at this point) is during start up the field is stronger than while running.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts