Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm NOT a professional photographer, but here are some things that will help you take BETTER shots of "great roads."

I always look for an uphill S-curve. Something where you see the road both up close, and ALSO in the distance. Uphill means you see it all. Downhill the asphalt "evaporates."

Something in the foreground is good, a parked motorcycle, or one of those "S" curves ahead sign, SOMETHING to provide perspective.

Empty or not? The best shots catch a couple of bikes coming towards the camera. If you've got riding buddies you can STAGE shots. But you can't always wait till a random MC shows up. Sometimes cars in the distance give some perspective on distances, hills, etc. Sometimes a lonely road looks the most appealing.

Bridges, cliffs, farm houses.... is there SOMETHING which defines this ride, this route?

Rain. Black asphalt always photographs the best, which is why you use the garden hose to wet the asphalt down when doing bike photography. Same reason they "seal" perfectly good parking lots. Black LOOKS best.

Colors. I frequently use the "VIVID" color setting on my digital camera to "boost" the color levels, fall leaves, spring colors, etc. It's cheating, yeah, I know... don't care.

Photoshopping: Look a the picture above and THINK how much better it would be if that parked pickup truck were "vanished."

Disappearing Horizon: You know, the road seems to head into the clouds. Try as I might, these don't seem to make great shots unless they're taken in Monument Valley.

Capturing what ISNT THERE, an empty road, making viewers go "Man, I'd like to ride THAT" is a challenge. Sweepers, hairpins, ya have to catch the essence somehow.

If You've got any tips, let's hear 'em!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Awesome tip on how to take photos of winding roads. This season, I plan on taking a series of photos of my bike against a background of old barns. Thanks for the tips.

·
American Legion Rider
21,140 Posts
I actually find that shooting in black and white makes better shots than color in many cases.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Park Road through the Painted Desert, Arizona.

Near Holbrook, off I-40

I had to enhance the color on all the shots I took in the Painted Desert. Suggest you visit the park at dawn or sunset if you're hoping to do any decent photography, and as always, use a tripod///

1 - 7 of 7 Posts