Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I wanna hear some tips on buying a used motorcycle, where to buy one, what to check etc. is craigslist a good source for a used bike? What about motorcycle repo or salvage auctions?
Thanks

·
Registered
619 Posts
A little background would probably help, like what kind of bike do you want - cruiser, dual sport, standard, etc.? What's your budget? What's your experience level?

·
Registered
619 Posts
If you're closer to buying, sitting on a bunch of them to see what you like, is probably your next step. I went to the Motorcycle Show in February. The two bikes I liked the most going in, were the two bikes I liked the least after sitting on them because they had the pegs under your butt, but I prefer when they're placed where the gas tank meets the seat.

If you ask me a repo or salvage just sounds like a bad idea, though I've got no experience with them. There can be some great value on CL, but you won't know what you've got until you've got until you've already given them your money. Sometimes it works out, others it does not. If you can bring along a knowledgeable friend or relative, that would be helpful.

If you buy from a dealer and you're spending $3K, you can probably extract some kind of warranty from them to give you some time to ensure it's working properly, but buying from a dealer will likely cost more, so you'll get less bang for your buck. As always, the perfect choice remains elusive.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
How much riding have you done prior to taking the BRC? Those bikes you mentioned have a lot of power and are not beginner bikes. If you are totally green l would suggest starting with a dual purpose bike and learn how to ride before getting on a rocket. And yes, you can find good bikes on Craigslist. That's where l found mine.

·
Premium Member
6,520 Posts
Used

Years ago I traded in a lot of used bikes on new ones.
The engine, gearbox and brakes, and overall condition were obvious.
But I also checked the forks and swing arm for alignment, side on view. And a front few to be sure the wheels were parallel. Then checked all the bars, levers, pegs, engine casings etc. for scuff marks. Some of these items can be replaced, but there is usually tell tale signs somewhere.
I also checked the swing arm and steering head bearings.

Unkle Crusty.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Yeah, l would never buy a bike with a rebuilt title unless it was just a couple hundred bucks and l wanted it for a project, or parts, etc. They are hard to sell and many times have problems.

·
Premium Member
6,520 Posts
Scrap

Up here lot of the bikes in the scrap yard are there because the owner took them apart for some bizarre reason, and did not or could not put it together again. My spare 81 XS1100 Midnight Special is quite straight, just missing a few pieces, like carburetors, and front wheel and brakes. I may make this a non original runner some day. Tartan red for the frame, and polished alloy fenders, same as my BSA650
My guess is $500- worth of parts.
But I will work on the original XS1100, that I just inherited first.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Up here lot of the bikes in the scrap yard are there because the owner took them apart for some bizarre reason, and did not or could not put it together again. My spare 81 XS1100 Midnight Special is quite straight, just missing a few pieces, like carburetors, and front wheel and brakes. I may make this a non original runner some day. Tartan red for the frame, and polished alloy fenders, same as my BSA650
My guess is $500- worth of parts.
But I will work on the original XS1100, that I just inherited first.

Unkle Crusty*
Did you get your new one yet? What kind of shape did it turn out to be in?

·
Premium Member
6,520 Posts
New bike

Did you get your new one yet? What kind of shape did it turn out to be in?
Got the papers signed. Will be a few months before i pick it up. Have the carburetor off the belch mobile. The patient goes home today. Shirley will check on him. She can also look at my new bike.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I bought two bikes I found on CL. Never had a problem with either. First was a Ninja 500 that I learned on. (Sold it in CL). Then I got my current bike from CL. A g650gs

1 - 20 of 23 Posts