Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's got to be some way to get my glasses comfortably into my new helmet that I love, right?

I have only found that modular helmets made it easy, but I have had an epiphany and am committed to going as safe as I reasonably can ...ergo a full face helmet.

I always have a problem with the glasses not sliding correctly into place.
It usually results in the glasses sitting too high on my face.

Anyone figured out this conundrum?
If you share the secret, I'd be ETERNALLY grateful.

:icon_cool:

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
There's got to be some way to get my glasses comfortably into my new helmet that I love, right?

I have only found that modular helmets made it easy, but I have had an epiphany and am committed to going as safe as I reasonably can ...ergo a full face helmet.

I always have a problem with the glasses not sliding correctly into place.
It usually results in the glasses sitting too high on my face.

Anyone figured out this conundrum?
If you share the secret, I'd be ETERNALLY grateful.

:icon_cool:

When I had my full face helmet, this was always an issue. My glasses are square, and the face shield is concave (or, has a concave radius, if you will).

I did nothing but suffer with it, those years.

THIS time, with this second bike, I bought a half helmet. But the problem still existed, because this helmet has a drop-down concave radius face shield.

So I went to the eye Doctor, and got a pair of prescription glasses that are concave. They lay against my face.

Problem solved.

-Soupy

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've changed from thing wire-like to more sturdy and thicker, etc., but never though to change the shape of the glasses.
Cheers!

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Those are really UGLY glasses! I guess another choice is to get ones than are just smaller. Sometimes I try several times to slide my glasses into my helmet before they are in the right place but even with my full face helmets I can usually make it work. I'm almost at the point that if it is cold enough that I need a full face, it's too cold to be fun. Wearing glasses with my Bell 3/4 face helmet is pretty easy.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Well...I had a similar issue with sunglasses. I bought a pair that stay with that helmet. I ended up removing part of the temples at the ends behind my ears. Now they fit in my ff helmet.
IDK if you could afford an extra pair of glasses for that or not, but it's another option.
Or maybe the rear isn't the issue?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Well...I had a similar issue with sunglasses. I bought a pair that stay with that helmet. I ended up removing part of the temples at the ends behind my ears. Now they fit in my ff helmet.
IDK if you could afford an extra pair of glasses for that or not, but it's another option.
Or maybe the rear isn't the issue?
My glasses are also the back being the problem, a real half shell works fine, my half shell Bell Drifter is a problem with glasses like mine. I have considered cutting the rear of the earpiece.

Wire wrap around earpieces will fix that problem, my old glasses were wire wrap around.

In any case if you have a helmet that comes down below your ears, putting on and taking off the helmet needs to be done without the glasses on.

I just don't wear my glasses when riding, reading is the main reason I need them.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
My eye doctor recommended a pair of those "memory metal" frames that always go back to their original shape.

After he showed me what they cost......I had to show him my avatar!

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Also there are prescription glasses available with an elastic sport band instead of regular temples, or even some that you can swap between.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not exactly what I saw before but close...

http://www.sporteyes.com/football.htm
I don't think I could get my helmet over them.

Right now, my John Lennon glasses fit pretty well because they are the very thin wire-rimmed specs (for any youngster unfamiliar with John Lennon, think granny glasses), but all of my other glasses really do not fit.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
My eye doctor recommended a pair of those "memory metal" frames that always go back to their original shape.
That's what I use. If you know where to get them, they aren't expensive at all. There is an obscene markup at the ophthalmologists office of several 1000 percent. I got a pair of prescription single vision memory titanium sunglasses for about $20 shipped. I paid a bit less than that for single vision standard lenses and more than that for progressive bifocals.

They are easy to get under the helmet and retain their shape.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I use a full shell. i also have glasses a hair smaller that are the wire type. I just bend the arms more toward my head an down on they usually slide on easier, no problem.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's what I use. If you know where to get them, they aren't expensive at all. There is an obscene markup at the ophthalmologists office of several 1000 percent. I got a pair of prescription single vision memory titanium sunglasses for about $20 shipped. I paid a bit less than that for single vision standard lenses and more than that for progressive bifocals.

They are easy to get under the helmet and retain their shape.
Dods,
Did you purchase both glasses and lenses via the internet for $20?!
Can you provide some details?
Thanks,
goalie

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Last time I visited my local discount glasses shop I asked them to recommend and fit a set of glasses that would not interfere with my riding. I brought my helmet with me and worked with them to help find an appropriate resolution. When they suggested a particular solution I tried them on and reported what I perceived. In less than an hour they had me well fitted and enjoying my own ride.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts