Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of guys talk about getting tinted visors, and it was something that l just didn't see a need for. I live in Seattle, it is gray here a lot, and l guess l just thought they were more for a cool look. Man, would l have killed for one today! We are having one of those weird dry stretches we get every so often, and l found myself blinded on the freeway at 70 mph riding directly into a low Winter sun. Not good.

My question is, do they make visors that change depending on how bright it is? Are they made by the helmet manufacturer, or are they aftermarket companies? I have an Arai Vector 2. Thanks in advance :)

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
A pair of sunglasses has always worked for me. You do have to pull over and put them on if the light changes, though. An alternative would be to get ones with photogrey lenses.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I did use Kickback 24 Photochromic glasses before I got my last prescription, then I went to Liberty sport glasses with transition lenses and my prescription. Great for riding with the transition lenses.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I've been thinking about a solution to sun in the eyes.

I've already suggested putting painter's tape along the bottom of the visor, and lifting THAT to block direct sunlight. But it doesn't work on my full face Shoei.

I was thinking about a something LIKE a refrigerator magnet. But oval. Maybe 1" x 1 1/2"

Coated on the back with the same stuff as on Post-It notes. Sticky, but doesn't leave a residue.

Riding into the sun? Stick one on your visor wherever the sun is. Leave it stuck on your tank when not using. Use as an advertising giveaway.

That's GOTTA be better than riding one-handed with the other trying to shield your eyes from direct sunlight as I have done innumerable times.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been thinking about a solution to sun in the eyes.

I've already suggested putting painter's tape along the bottom of the visor, and lifting THAT to block direct sunlight. But it doesn't work on my full face Shoei.

I was thinking about a something LIKE a refrigerator magnet. But oval. Maybe 1" x 1 1/2"

Coated on the back with the same stuff as on Post-It notes. Sticky, but doesn't leave a residue.

Riding into the sun? Stick one on your visor wherever the sun is. Leave it stuck on your tank when not using. Use as an advertising giveaway.

That's GOTTA be better than riding one-handed with the other trying to shield your eyes from direct sunlight as I have done innumerable times.

Hmmmmmm....l think you're on to something...maybe we can design it and sell them and become bazillionaires...even if they don't work, we'll be so rich we can move someplace where the sun is always behind you :)

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I have a drop down tinted visor built into my helmet. It is great for bright days with or without sunglasses but it is not much help when I find myself riding into a sunset. The tint just isn't dark enough for that and would probably be unsafe if it was.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Hey Hawk, check out this web site: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_kw=motorcycle+helmet+flip+down+sun
Scroll down and you will come to this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HJC-ISMAXII-Yellow-Elemental-Modular-Motorcycle-Helmet-MC3H-w-Flip-Down-Sun-Vis-/111500966473?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&var=&hash=item19f5f9ba49&vxp=mtr

It matches your bike.

My husband and I both have 1/2 helmets with flip down sun shields, different brands, and we both love them. If it's sunny when we leave home we wear sun glasses and find that when riding into the setting sun the sunglasses and flip down shields are wonderful. If it's cloudy and the sun pops out while riding we just flip them down.

I wear glasses and if it starts raining i flip the sun shield down and it helps keep the rain off of them so I can see better.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Moni. I think l am going to give a pair of sunglasses a try. I just bought a new helmet, and it was quite expensive, so l'm not ready to go buy another one just yet :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
The Pinlock insert sits on the inside of the existing visor and acts the same way as auto tinting sunglasses i.e. it goes clear in the dark (almost) and tints in sunlight. The insert is designed to stop fogging and misting in cold weather and they work pretty well for that.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Hawk, I use to wear sunglasses to ride because I didn't like changing visors when the sun went down, but just recently I got a proshade pinlock for my arai. It's awesome, a clear visor with a flip down sunshade on the outside. It's Arai's answer to the retractable inner smoked shields. However, I will say that there is a point when riding directly into the sun that you should just pull off and wait for the sun to drop completely.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hawk, I use to wear sunglasses to ride because I didn't like changing visors when the sun went down, but just recently I got a proshade pinlock for my arai. It's awesome, a clear visor with a flip down sunshade on the outside. It's Arai's answer to the retractable inner smoked shields. However, I will say that there is a point when riding directly into the sun that you should just pull off and wait for the sun to drop completely.
Yeah, the pinlock is starting to sound like the way to go. I might just ride up to the gear shop and check them out on Monday :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
I wear transition lenses. They are UV activated. The clear visor on three helmets blocked so much UV that the glasses would not activate.

My solution was helmets with a retractable tinted visor. They work great. You need to try them on outside in the sun to be sure they don't distort shapes and colors, though. That's with clear visors, too.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
I wear sunglasses, but most of my helmets also have the drop down sunshield. They work OK, but I find I start to get a headache looking though too many shields at once.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yeah I got caught in the same sun Hawk did, down right brutal, The problem I find riding the back roads of western Washington state is going from the low horizon sun to shade and back because of the trees. Wearing sun glasses your blind in the shady spots, without them your blind in the sun. An easy to flip up visor is the answer I think. I will make the change after I have my hearing implant surgery.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Bell Star helmet with photochromic shield. I never have to worry about changing shields or putting on sunglasses no matter the light conditions.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts