Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
I have a 100cc Kawasaki. It has zero bottom end power. I have a sewing machine, and a vacuum cleaner with more power. Add in the variable drive device, and I can understand why they need to use a bunch of revs to move. UK

·
Ace Tuner
3,028 Posts
Maybe I missed it. Wot size is the engine? If it is less than about 250cc then the thing has to scream to move. Most of them have to scream to do anything. UK
Unkle Krusty - It's a 150cc.
Many of the Japanese scooters have used Salsbury clutches for years. The low powered 50cc engines have to rev more than the same setup would if it had a 600cc engine powering it. The designers probably knew your 150cc needs to rev (scream) to do anything.
I'm thinking don't fix it, cause it ain't broke...

S F

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
What does it weigh? I'm wondering how much heavier it is then my Montesa 300RR ;)
It weighs 194 lbs. I assume that's a dry weight. It only takes 0.11 liters of gear oil, 3/4 of a quart of motor oil and 5 liters of gas. I'm sure it's Much lighter than your Montesa 300RR. My China scooter wouldn't be Race Ready if a Japanese Honda engine had a baby with a Ferrari. LOL I've worked in landscaping and know the sizes of large weed eaters and chainsaws.. it's why IMO this engine is a tad larger in physical size anyway. (Residential work anyway.. I'm sure commercial chainsaws can get pretty large)

A 4 smoke.. now you have my engine Smoking.. and it's so Young! LOL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Many of the Japanese scooters have used Salsbury clutches for years. The low powered 50cc engines have to rev more than the same setup would if it had a 600cc engine powering it. The designers probably knew your 150cc needs to rev (scream) to do anything.
I'm thinking don't fix it, cause it ain't broke...

S F
Hey.. I like screamers.. I married one...

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
It weighs 194 lbs. I assume that's a dry weight. It only takes 0.11 liters of gear oil, 3/4 of a quart of motor oil and 5 liters of gas. I'm sure it's Much lighter than your Montesa 300RR....
No man, It was a trick question, Trials bikes are the lightest motorcycles in the world, you have an easy 40 extra pounds on me and my bike only holds 2 litres of fuel. ... and Montesa is a 4-smoke too (y)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
No man, It was a trick question, Trials bikes are the lightest motorcycles in the world, you have an easy 40 extra pounds on me and my bike only holds 2 litres of fuel. ... and Montesa is a 4-smoke too (y)
Ah.. yep you got me. I know nothing of trial bikes. I'm subbed to a few dual sport bike folks on Youtube cus it impresses the heck out of me how they go from the street to a winding path in the woods to get to a camp. I wonder if I could make the scooter do that. LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
First time rider with new motorcycle. I may not have the idle adjusted right. The bike is not hard to start nor does it bog or stop running at a stop, however, it seems like I have to apply a lot of throttle before the bike moves. How do I fix this? I have adjusted my throttle cable for almost no play so I don't believe it's a throttle issue. (it had a lot of play when I first got the bike) With the throttle play controlled my expectation is the bike should start to move as soon as I start to apply even a tiny amount of throttle but it doesn't. I can hold the throttle at least a full 1/8th turn revving and the bike doesn't go. Seems I have to get up to a full 1/4 turn before it starts to move. I do not have a tach. Could the idle be too retarded still? Could it be a spark plug gap problem? Let me know that things could cause this and I'll check them out. Thanks. Or are my expectations wrong and the bike is operating properly?

Thanks.
My 150cc scooter does the same thing. That’s the way a CVT with centrifugal clutch works. See the video that someone left below.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts