Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time rider with new motorcycle. I may not have the idle adjusted right. The bike is not hard to start nor does it bog or stop running at a stop, however, it seems like I have to apply a lot of throttle before the bike moves. How do I fix this? I have adjusted my throttle cable for almost no play so I don't believe it's a throttle issue. (it had a lot of play when I first got the bike) With the throttle play controlled my expectation is the bike should start to move as soon as I start to apply even a tiny amount of throttle but it doesn't. I can hold the throttle at least a full 1/8th turn revving and the bike doesn't go. Seems I have to get up to a full 1/4 turn before it starts to move. I do not have a tach. Could the idle be too retarded still? Could it be a spark plug gap problem? Let me know that things could cause this and I'll check them out. Thanks. Or are my expectations wrong and the bike is operating properly?

Thanks.

·
Ace Tuner
3,028 Posts
I wouldn't think so. The bike is brand new. It's a CVT.
I'm guessing you are saying your new bike has a Continuously Variable Transmission, yes?
What you describe is probably normal for a bike with a CVT, if that's what you have?
Wouldn't hurt to know what bike we're talking about though...

S F

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm guessing you are saying your new bike has a Continuously Variable Transmission, yes?
What you describe is probably normal for a bike with a CVT, if that's what you have?

S F
Probably there to prevent creep. Never driven a CVT so it's just a guess. Does it "buck" when the CVT engages? If it does I'd imagine there is a mechanical adjustment near or within the CVT case that this effects, has to be.

·
Nightfly
4,537 Posts
I've driven numerous cars with a CVT, hate them. They can be very slow to react to throttle input. I would image a bike could give the same problem...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

S F
Yes, that's the tranny. Well the make and model won't help because it's just a China "scooter" Dong Fang brand. I didn't post in the scooter section because that forum looks dead and I figured it was a general enough question.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Probably there to prevent creep. Never driven a CVT so it's just a guess. Does it "buck" when the CVT engages? If it does I'd imagine there is a mechanical adjustment near or within the CVT case that this effects, has to be.
It does not buck or lurch. It takes off smooth enough just at a pretty high rev. This is even after it's warmed up a few minutes. As far as creep goes, they tell you to adjust the idle just until the back tire starts to spin slowly when it's on center stand. At this point many people will either back off just until the wheel stops spinning or leave it with the slow spin. Either way, this should prevent creep, one because you've backed off to just before the wheel spins and the other because a riders weight will counteract the small amount of spin. I have the idle set to just before the wheel spins.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes, that's the tranny. Well the make and model won't help because it's just a China "scooter" Dong Fang brand. I didn't post in the scooter section because that forum looks dead and I figured it was a general enough question.
That does make a difference, not that China doesn't make good products but the motivation for market share is price and when you build things as cheap as possible **** happens that is referred to, as normal. imo seen it a lot in products from China. Basically it's more than likely the CVT they've employed is not a state of the art CVT with advanced electronics, and probably fairly basic, just a guess though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've driven numerous cars with a CVT, hate them. They can be very slow to react to throttle input. I would image a bike could give the same problem...
That may be it but I have no way to know. Finding active scooter forums or people with scooters in my area is like pulling teeth. I figured this forum was active enough so I could find answers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That does make a difference, not that China doesn't make good products but the motivation for market share is price and when you build things as cheap as possible **** happens that is referred to, as normal. imo seen it a lot in products from China. Basically it's more than likely the CVT they've employed is not a state of the art CVT with advanced electronics, and probably fairly basic, just a guess though.
I get that. I just meant it wouldn't help because it's not like a Honda PCX you can look up specs on.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I get that. I just meant it wouldn't help because it's not like a Honda PCX you can look up specs on.
Maybe there is some adjustment and I would explore any good small engine mechanics in your area where they deal in CVT trannies on a constant basis. Just a thought. Does the CVT allow for manual shifting mode?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe there is some adjustment and I would explore any good small engine mechanics in your area where they deal in CVT trannies on a constant basis. Just a thought. Does the CVT allow for manual shifting mode?
It does not. I know some DCT's can be both auto and manually shifted but not the CVT. Trouble is most mechanics don't like to work on China bikes because there is a lack of standards for parts, especially if you don't have a popular brand. I've always worked on my own cars and trucks using a Haynes manual. Sadly, there isn't a Haynes manual made for these bikes. There are tons of repair manuals for the GY6 engine which is what these bikes use and I have downloaded some 40 of them but they are mostly specific to more popular name brands like Kymco but I haven't found an exact answer to this question. The manual for the bike itself stresses the air fuel mixture is set by the factory and users are not to touch the factory settings except for the idle adjustment. In the morning I'm gonna get a performance NGK plug and re-gap and try to reset the idle.

·
Visionary
4,961 Posts
I've never ridden one of those but that really doesn't sound too wrong, it's designed to go only after you apply a decent amount of throttle, unless it's revving like crazy it's probably normal. That's a small engine, it has to turn pretty fast to make power and get you going and it sounds like this is what it's doing.

·
Visionary
4,961 Posts
Was just thinking, what happened to our resident chinese scooter expert?
@Miss Mercedes , if your around we could use some wisdom here.

·
Nightfly
4,537 Posts
A CVT does not have any gears, it does have a system of pulleys that connect to a belt. The one I'm familiar with had a large pulley that its width could open and close to allow the belt to change position on the pulley. This allowed for a gear type reduction. It may just be a built in problem with this type of bike from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've never ridden one of those but that really doesn't sound too wrong, it's designed to go only after you apply a decent amount of throttle, unless it's revving like crazy it's probably normal. That's a small engine, it has to turn pretty fast to make power and get you going and it sounds like this is what it's doing.
Yeah, that does sound logical.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
CVT engages using centrifugal force, you just need to make the weights that produce that force heavier. Snowmobilers have been doing that for decades.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,122 Posts
What kind of load is this scooter trying to move for it's size? The bigger the load, the more throttle it's going to take to get going.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts