Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My motorcycle is not running well. I took.it for a spin and parked it. Fifteen min later i get back on it and whenbibgave it gas it died. It started to sputter before it quit. Im not.sure if im getting gas to the carburetor. Or if icould be something else. I took.the gas tank off amd checked the fuel.filter and.it was clean. I also checkedt he spark plugs they were fine. The oil was a tadvbit.ober filled, i. Cant figure it out i need help can some.one please help.me. im.in dier straights. It is my only transportaion ibhave please help

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
The first thing to check is that the fuel line going to the carb is allowing fuel flow through. I'm not sure what type of fuel valve you have, but if it is vacuum operated, you will have to apply some vacuum to the line for it to work in the "on" setting. Fuel should flow freely in the "prime" position.

If it is not vacuum operated, simply turning it to "on" should let the fuel flow.

If everything is good there, check that the carbs are filling properly. You might have drain screws that will let you check. Use a clear piece of tubing the proper size from the drain hole held up along side the carb to determine the float level.

After that I would check for spark before tearing any further into the fuel system.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Does the oil smell like gas? It could have been a stuck float allowing gas to keep flowing through the carb into the engine and past the rings down to the oil.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
My motorcycle is not running well. I took.it for a spin and parked it. Fifteen min later i get back on it and whenbibgave it gas it died. It started to sputter before it quit. Im not.sure if im getting gas to the carburetor. Or if icould be something else. I took.the gas tank off amd checked the fuel.filter and.it was clean. I also checkedt he spark plugs they were fine. The oil was a tadvbit.ober filled, i. Cant figure it out i need help can some.one please help.me. im.in dier straights. It is my only transportaion ibhave please help
How about some more detail? Brand/Model of Motorcycle? Year?
Has motorcycle sat for a long period of time before this started?
How many miles on bike?
How long has the gas been in tank? Is motorcycle kept in a garage ? or outside?
Its just my thoughts that the more info other members have the easier to help you. Things Dodsfall has asked are good starting point.
JMHO
Thanks
Ed

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
That is what my bike does when I run out of gas. I then turn the lever to reserve and get more gas.

Unkle Crusty*
Actually, that's the first thing to check. I think we can assume that was already considered and eliminated as the issue. We have been wrong before, though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, i smelt something different when i was riding the ither day i cant really desrcibe.thw.smell.but utvdud have a funky smell. I took.the tank of and the filter is clean. In.fact it sat for a whole year prior to me purchasing it. Ive had ut for five months now. I did.hear a popping sound the other day like air comung from the engine.
Ut is a 2007 Gs500f suzuki. It has 8k miles on it. I havent done a oil change in a while I checked the spark plugs no gunk or.oil on them ibelieve theybare okay.
It ideals fine just as soon i hit the gas it dies iyt. Thanks guys any lil info.will help.me out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes It sits outside but i cover it. Also thus started aftrt i washed my bike. So could it be possible that i got water in the gas tank not sure. This is my first bike and i want to take giod care of it.

·
Premium Member
7,883 Posts
Wash day

Yes It sits outside but i cover it. Also thus started aftrt i washed my bike. So could it be possible that i got water in the gas tank not sure. This is my first bike and i want to take giod care of it.
More likely to get water in the plug caps, than in the gas tank. Always a good idea to install new plug caps. Sometimes the plug wyres need to be trimmed back maybe 1/4 inch to get clean wyre.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This might sound stupid Uncle Crusty, but whatvdo.youbmean plug caps. I noticed that there is not a gasket around the lid.of the gas cap. There is a small gap around the seal.ofbthe tank and lid. I also noticed that there is a small.hole.leadingbinto a tube.that its side the gas tank.that leads tonthe holes into.the carb. Also.where would the plug caps be located at. Are plug caps to the spark.plugs? Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,883 Posts
Plug caps

Yes, the plug caps connect to the spark plugs. They are usually black. Do not ouch them while the engine is running. They are removed from the spark plugs by pulling them up and off by hand. the get dust and crud in them, which allows water to sit there. In the rain the spark that comes from the coil down a wyre about 5/16" thick, can follow the wet path, and fail to provide zap to the plug.
If the engine is running really crappy and has little power, it could be a plug failing to fire. You can carefully place your hand on the cylinder to check for heat. The non firing cylinder will be cool, the other one hot. Do not touch the exhaust pipes.

The gas tank cap is where the gasket should be hiding. You need to have one.
Water in the gas in visible, but you would need to drain the tank into a jug to see it. With the petcock ( fuel on off lever ) turned to prime, fuel should come out of the tank. At least I hope that is how your tank works.

Unkle Crusty*

1 - 11 of 11 Posts