Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Been working on my bike for while, ive restored alot of the bike and just working out a few kinks as the bike sat for a long time, its a 1978 honda CB400 Hawk II

My issue is with the throttle, it is very hard to turn, ive had limited experience with bikes but i know it should not feel like that. Ive pulled apart the grip and put lithium grease all over the mech where the wires attach, all over all contact points and the inside of the grip. The rubber is not touching the handlebars or the the base of the throttle, ive been looking at the carbs and the spring and lubed the butterflys and anything else i can think that would hinder it. Ive also ran chain lube down the throttle cables and alot of black crud came out but i think i got them pretty clean, im thinking of using a little engine oil inside them but i know the chain lube is in there so i dont want to pull it all apart if that wont help. The only other thing i can think of is a frayed cable but it seems odd that it could cause that much resistance, its also not a routing issue as even when the cables are straight and attached to the carb off the bike it is still just as hard or at least close to as hard. I would really rather not replace my cables as im trying to do it cheaply but i don't think it will pass out of province inspection if it sticks. It doesn't even return slowly it will just stick anywhere you leave it in the range of the throttle. Any help is appreciated as i think i have covered my bases here.

Thanks again for everyones warm welcomes to the forum!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hello,
Been working on my bike for while, ive restored alot of the bike and just working out a few kinks as the bike sat for a long time, its a 1978 honda CB400 Hawk II

My issue is with the throttle, it is very hard to turn, ive had limited experience with bikes but i know it should not feel like that. Ive pulled apart the grip and put lithium grease all over the mech where the wires attach, all over all contact points and the inside of the grip. The rubber is not touching the handlebars or the the base of the throttle, ive been looking at the carbs and the spring and lubed the butterflys and anything else i can think that would hinder it. Ive also ran chain lube down the throttle cables and alot of black crud came out but i think i got them pretty clean, im thinking of using a little engine oil inside them but i know the chain lube is in there so i dont want to pull it all apart if that wont help. The only other thing i can think of is a frayed cable but it seems odd that it could cause that much resistance, its also not a routing issue as even when the cables are straight and attached to the carb off the bike it is still just as hard or at least close to as hard. I would really rather not replace my cables as im trying to do it cheaply but i don't think it will pass out of province inspection if it sticks. It doesn't even return slowly it will just stick anywhere you leave it in the range of the throttle. Any help is appreciated as i think i have covered my bases here.

Thanks again for everyones warm welcomes to the forum!
[/QU

·
Registered
595 Posts
Have you pulled the cable completely off the bike? Pull it off the bike, put it on the bench and then try and operate it. That way, you will know if it's the cable or something else.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
It may be time for new cable(s). They can get rusty, dirty and all kinds of crap build up in there. But I would check the the throttle return spring first, make sure the spring isn't the problem.
If you think about it, a throttle cable is a critical part needed for operating your machine.

·
Premium Member
6,346 Posts
Wot they said above. Remove the cable. The inner bit should slide easily. Buy a new one anyway. Stick your finger in the carbs. Lift the piston. They should slide back down easily. They are probably diaphragm carbs, so there will be a small amount of resistance to sliding.

UK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts