Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One. On the small ferry. Had a twenty minute chat with a nice guy about bikes and the world in general. He was on his way to get a new battery for his bike. I pointed him to the local Cummins dealer, but he was going to the Harley dealer 70 miles away. I was there the day before, and suggested he look at the Triumphs and Ducatis across the street.

Two. My young girlfriend in the big city, who I also visited while in the big city. She has been seeing a nice young man, and he gasp, rides a Harley. We made plans for a senior to pervert chat, but for now I had to ask the burning question. What model and size Harley?

Three. On the big ferry. Big guy on a Lowrider? Harley. Would not even acknowledge my existence. A real dipstick. So I thought, I will blow by you sunshine. First tho I needed to check his riding gear. Leather pants, decent jacket, half helmet and goggles. Maximum 90 I figured, probably 80. Was also a very blustery day.
Off the ferry, he is watching me, and leaving his flashers on after changing lanes. First set of lights, in traffic. Second set of lights, he is at the light with me directly behind, after we both passed some cages. Green go, and the Harley pulls well in first and second as they all seem to do. By the time Noddy was up in the revs in third, we could match his speed fairly easily. He only ran it to about 85. Another set of lights, and I knew he would turn it to the stopper this time. I had to peg Noddy, ran him to just over 8000 in second and third. Sure enough the Harley guy nailed it, but this time when he got near 70 or 80, we blew past him so fast his goggles probably vibrated. Never saw him again.

As an aside. Noddy does not like the wind. Biggest problem was the rear box. With it on, we had handling problems at 85. With it off, I nudged 100 a couple of times. Next test was with the top adjustable part for the front window. I had already tried that to just under 100, on my way to the ferry. So I knew I would have top speed on the Harley.
Noddy is not quite as quick as the 79 XS1100, and I had run Yami against a Harley in the past. So I was pretty sure we would match the Harley for acceleration, but I would need to scream the engine.

Always a good day on the bike. UK

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,550 Posts
You just can resist picking on the unwashed, can you Krusty? If he had said hello or just nodded you would have let him go about his day.

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You just can resist picking on the unwashed, can you Krusty? If he had said hello or just nodded you would have let him go about his day.
Agreed. I would have said, have a nice ride, or asked where he was going. The usual chit chat, just like number one above.
Some ignore me because, I am much older, I ride a brand X bike, I have a pink back pack, or a Rossi back pack. I think there is no harm in being civil.
A while back I decided I would not pass other bikes in corners. For this guy I would have made an exception, and passed quite close.

UK

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the concise question. Here goes.
Remember when you met a young lady, and the time came to meet the parents. I refer to that as the parent to pervert discussion. You being the young male, are the pervert in the parents eyes.
I am the older responsible male in my young girlfriends life. We have been friends for about ten years, since we were both single, and checking what was available. All the guys she meets, get to meet me. Scary, I know.

UK

·
Resident of Munchkin Land
230 Posts
Remember when you met a young lady, and the time came to meet the parents. I refer to that as the parent to pervert discussion. You being the young male, are the pervert in the parents eyes.
I am the older responsible male in my young girlfriends life. We have been friends for about ten years, since we were both single, and checking what was available. All the guys she meets, get to meet me. Scary, I know.

UK
Ha ha I like it. I'm going to start using that :grin:

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts

UK
Are you saying you are both still on the prowl? I thought different but maybe I've read too much into it.

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you saying you are both still on the prowl? I thought different but maybe I've read too much into it.
The young girl and I have been friends for ten years this month. Shirley and I have been together for ten years, this November. We are not anticipating any change in the current status.

UK

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,550 Posts
Tell them Krusty, some men can have friends that are females. That makes the 'girl' friends.

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
I just say female friends. Everyone gets hung up on girl and friend together in the same sentence.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Tell them Krusty, some men can have friends that are females. That makes the 'girl' friends.
Yes. Who knows what the correct terminology is. If I say my lady friend, then folks would think of a close relationship, with someone about my age. Young lady friend also does not seem to work. So the young chick is my girl friend, and Shirley is the skinny old chick. That is how my ex referred to her.

They are both lovely ladies.

Now what about the dopey arrogant prick on the blue Harley. I am not implying all the Harley riders are dopey arrogant pricks, just the opposite. I will be talking with the grey Harley rider from my Island again. And I will get to meet the young chicks new boy friend. He who rides a Harley.

UK

·
Visionary
5,302 Posts
I was just thinking how ironic it would be if Harley rider #2 turned out to be Harley rider #3 .
That would make for an interesting conversation!

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was just thinking how ironic it would be if Harley rider #2 turned out to be Harley rider #3 .
That would make for an interesting conversation!
Quite.
Number 1 is on my Island, Gabriola.
Number 2 is in Victoria BC, and I have looked at a photo.
Number 3 got on the ferry in Nanaimo BC, 70 miles to the North West of number 2. But anything is possible.

My Island is near Nanaimo, which I think is the second biggest city on Vancouver Island, after Victoria. Other cities of note are Duncan and Campbell River. The other places are not big enough to be cities, which is 20,000 people.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
So are you down by the Indian Reserves when you say you live on south part of the island? Or did I mis-read that.

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So are you down by the Indian Reserves when you say you live on south part of the island? Or did I mis-read that.
There are no Indians on my Island. The Flattop Indians used to be here. They seem to have blended in with other Coast Salish groups. The reserves are on Vancouver Island, from top to bottom.
To wear a head piece from another tribe, you should get permission. I have a warm knitted flat top hat, that I bought from a flat top lady in Victoria. Just remembered, Patricia and Raymond.

At my end we have the docks and marinas, and the ship yard. There are a few houses, one motel, one camp ground, two churches and one community hall. Plus the dead center of town, the grave yard.
We had a pub and restaurant, but it burnt or burned down. Forgot the airport. One Beaver float plane flying from the end of a dock. Diesel fuel and limited water is available.

The Royal and snooty, AKA the Royal Vancouver Yacht Club, owns a small island next to Silva Bay. A Chinese family owns another small island nearby.

UK

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.