Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at my 1975 Suzuki TS185 and noticed something odd. on the bottom underside of the Exhaust there is a Large threading. nothing is threaded into it and after i had the engine running awhile a black liquid was dripping from the threaded hole. so i found a bolt that fit and i wrapped it in some plumbers tape and the leaking stopped. the hole is about 2/3 down the length of the exhaust and my dad thought it might have been for a vaccuum tube or something but i dont know. id guesstimate the diameter to be about 10mm being familiar with bullets and bolts. if you look closely i have circled the bolt sticking out of the exhaust in yellow.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
My guess is that it would be there on purpose to allow the system to be drained every once in a while to prevent the exhaust from rotting out. The black fluid is probably a mix of water, fuel, oil and carbon. Most two stroke (and four stoke) motors that have an up swept exhaust system will have that feature, as the moisture/fuel would just sit there otherwise. I hope you understand what I am saying, and nice bike by the way. the reason there would be a bolt there in the first place would be for engine performance purposes, as the expansion chamber needs to be sealed for scavenging, back pressure etc.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guess is that it would be there on purpose to allow the system to be drained every once in a while to prevent the exhaust from rotting out. The black fluid is probably a mix of water, fuel, oil and carbon. Most two stroke (and four stoke) motors that have an up swept exhaust system will have that feature, as the moisture/fuel would just sit there otherwise. I hope you understand what I am saying, and nice bike by the way. the reason there would be a bolt there in the first place would be for engine performance purposes, as the expansion chamber needs to be sealed for scavenging, back pressure etc.
So do you think i should leave my ghetto bolt in or take it out? and thanks. Man i love that bike (your avatar) id love to own one. what is it a GS550?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts