Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toshiba Qosmio Gaming Laptop

My current lappy is falling to pieces faster than Patsy Cline flying an airplane.
I need a new one.

I want a damn good processor with a dedicated NVidia GPU and lots of DDR3. Lots of storage too.

This machine has it. Also has a Blu-ray player. Added bonus.

The only bummer is that it is a Win8 machine, and I prefer 7, but for this performance, I will live with (h)8.

What y'all think?

·
Left. No, the other left.
220 Posts
Looks like a decent machine. I'm guessing the OS is on the 256 GB drive, and the 1 TB is just storage?
You can still get win7 from Tiger Direct (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=windows+7)
Make a set of recovery disks when you get your machine so you have Win 8 if you want it, then install x64 Win 7.
(I'm with you - win 8 sucks, but MS announced Win 9 coming before too long, probably with a better home screen than the tiles.)

·
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a decent machine. I'm guessing the OS is on the 256 GB drive, and the 1 TB is just storage?
You can still get win7 from Tiger Direct (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=windows+7)
Make a set of recovery disks when you get your machine so you have Win 8 if you want it, then install x64 Win 7.
(I'm with you - win 8 sucks, but MS announced Win 9 coming before too long, probably with a better home screen than the tiles.)
Another option I have is to go to the Geek Squad and have them do a professional upgrade to 7. Though, after talking with some PC gamers and video editors with experience with both, 8 actually does run faster and uses less memory, so I may just deal with Win8.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It comes with Win'8 installed but it doesn't have a touch screen? Weird combo. I know Win'8 can be used without a touchscreen (I'm doing that now on this desktop) but Win'8 shines better if you have touch interface

·
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It comes with Win'8 installed but it doesn't have a touch screen? Weird combo. I know Win'8 can be used without a touchscreen (I'm doing that now on this desktop) but Win'8 shines better if you have touch interface
Which would mean no more eating cheetos and hotwings while on the laptop...
I have no need or desire for a touch screen on my computer lol

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I personally cannot stand windows 8. I've had no problems transitioning from the differrent versions over the years, but this one, is just too much. I can't stand the fact that you have to jump through hoops just to find something. I gave up computer repair cause of Windows 8. Just not worth the frustration.

·
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welp... they could not get me the one I wanted... they did get me a decent Alienware though, so I am STILL miles ahead of what my previous POS was. (1st gen i3 with crappy intergrated intel graphics vs 4th gen i5 with a dedicated NVidia Gforce 770M package)

And this new one is an Win7 machine too! WIN!!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Nice going Dash, which one did you get?

Do you game a lot? Do you use external monitor?

FYI I'm using Win'8 on both this non-touchscreen desktop as well as a Lenovo Lynx "Tablet hybrid" device, and am really growing to like it.

Personally I wouldn't buy any laptop anymore that didn't have a touch screen display, just for future-proofing purposes, even if I wasn't using the touchscreen right away

·
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice going Dash, which one did you get?

Do you game a lot? Do you use external monitor?

FYI I'm using Win'8 on both this non-touchscreen desktop as well as a Lenovo Lynx "Tablet hybrid" device, and am really growing to like it.

Personally I wouldn't buy any laptop anymore that didn't have a touch screen display, just for future-proofing purposes, even if I wasn't using the touchscreen right away
It's just a basic 14"er. They was unable to get anything bigger. Eventually, this will become my travel one, as I save for an even bigger one. I think I am sold on the Alienware puters.

Already thinking on how I would want this machine customized... and the bigger one that I would want, how it would be customized. (cosmetically) Unfortunately, Dell themselves would not be able to do it, because of trademark issues, I suspect, but if I could find someone who knows how to mod cases...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts