Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings,

I know folks don't have all specifics but I will try to provide as much as possible to inform enough. I would like thoughts on price (too high or OK) for an immediate purchase. I rode one and loved it (slightly different year); and these rarely come up in my area.

I am being offered a 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (non-ABS) for $5,000. Bike has 7K miles. Initial offer was $5,500 but he came down. Bike has following options: crash bars, passenger seat and pegs, cover.

Other: Passed state inspection 1 month ago, new battery, LED headlight cover. Tires fair. Seller will deliver to my home ( 1 hour away). I will go out to inspect. No known issues.

Thoughts on price? this is my favorite model and I like the newness of the bike for maintenance reasons. thank you in advance.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,121 Posts
Doesn't sound bad to me! Is this the 1000cc, manual or dct AT engine?

That front tire looks like a rear tire.

·
Secret Agent
4,121 Posts
A quick search says the rebel 500 retailed for 5999 new, and came in silver and yellow.

The 300 was available in black. And retailed for 4799.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
They look nice in white.
Problem with pricing is good bikes are in demand right now,
but Honda discounted these models heavy on previous year model sales, over many recent years. There should be tons of them out there. Lots of people bought them as entry level bikes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks CRracer for the research. 500's were also available in black. I agree with the prices but I haven't seen any advertised under 5K (2017 500 non ABS...). I rarely see them in the DC area. One 2019 500 ABS with under 1000 miles sold for $6200 recently. If I can get $4800 I think I would pull the trigger.

Folks seen cheaper?

·
Secret Agent
4,121 Posts
I haven't seen a single on in my area.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
There are none for sale in my area (Seattle). There are two CB300's for sale, both 2019's. One is $5k and the other is $5300

·
Zip
2,054 Posts
I did a quick search on CycleTrader and found exactly 4 2017 Rebel 500s for sale nationwide. $5000 is probably a fair price, but those 4 I found on CycleTrader had far fewer miles and were selling for just a few hundred dollars more. If the 7K miles on the one you're looking at are gentle miles, the bike is probably well worth $5000.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The right price is the price that youre willing to pay and that he is willing to sell it at.

What I usually do is I dont make any offers until I've come to look at the bike. I tell them "I'm very interested and want to come see the bike and if it checks out I'll make you an offer and buy it on the spot." Then, once I'm there, I pull out a wad of $100 bills while I lowball the hell out of them. For the majority of people their hesitancy evaporates when they see the green. You dont even have to do much beating them up on the price. Just let them get a glimpse of the green and they start agreeing to stupid stuff.

·
Secret Agent
4,121 Posts
while I lowball the hell out of them

That's can also be a good way to get told to hit the road.

It's pretty much a sellers market right now. New stuff isn't in stock, what is in stock is already sold. If the seller knows this, he might not come down much at all. But if you insult the guy, it may not matter how much cash you bring. Just depends on they want to sell very bad or not.

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
24,729 Posts
Then, once I'm there, I pull out a wad of $100 bills while I lowball the hell out of them.
Guys like you made me stop putting bikes, or anything, for sale at fair price but instead add several hundred to several thousand higher so you think your stinking plan works. It used to bother me taking more than I actually was willing to take but these attitudes made that go away quickly. But I have been known to give back a few hundred to the non low ballers. But never the low baller although I have another term for them.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Guys like you made me stop putting bikes, or anything, for sale at fair price but instead add several hundred to several thousand higher so you think your stinking plan works. It used to bother me taking more than I actually was willing to take but these attitudes made that go away quickly. But I have been known to give back a few hundred to the non low ballers. But never the low baller although I have another term for them.
You're only looking at this from the seller's perspective. As a buyer, you'd be a fool not to negotiate as shrewdly as possible. And anytime I've sold stuff the lowballers did not bother me. Its effortless to tell them "no." As long as youre disciplined you won't go weak in the knees when I pull out my wad 😆 and FWIW, this doesn't make sense to me because I've never had someone get upset or say no when I chop their ask in half. It just doesn't happen.

·
Secret Agent
4,121 Posts
And anytime I've sold stuff the lowballers did not bother me.

But that's you.

That's not me. When I sell something, I know what I've got, I also don't list it high, I list it fair. I might come down a little, but a low ball offer gets ignored, I've got better things to do and I have never needed to sell anything, it was always an option.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for the info/advice. barring anything with the inspection I will likely pull the trigger (but happy to walk if something rubs me the wrong way). I have no problems walking...done it to houses (more than I can count), classic cars etc...

I think between $4500-4800 is fair at 6K miles with the accessories I want - delivery included. I can live with that. thank you.

·
Secret Agent
4,121 Posts
Keep us posted and good luck! If you get it, post pictures!

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
I like to be just straight up honest. I have found that it surprises most people and they want to deal with a straight shooter. The last bike I bought needed work and I knew it. The guy was asking $2000/obo and I offered him $1600, hoping to get it for $1700. That was his counter and we were both happy.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
(y)
Once you get it rotate the headlight grill 90 degrees, it won't shield the light from ariel attack that way it has to be horizontal.

... I'd relocate the horn so it wasn't killed by road spray myself. edit: on second look I'd put a nice rubber mud flap on the front fender long enough to protect the whole bike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts