Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm upgrading from a 1986 450 Nighthawk, looking for more power and storage for long trips, and the old CB900 looks like the bike for me. Anyone have experience with this bike? Advice? It's between the 900 and the CB750 for me.

Specifically, the bike below looks very nice on the page, though I haven't seen it in person yet. KBB is $2080 though, so what do you guys think of this bike at this price?

seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/4720768487.html

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It seems OK. I like that the current owner seems to ramble on quite a bit about the bike, maybe shows he's been careful & methodical in its maintenance.
I wouldn't automatically trust the guy though regarding the bikes condition. Go look at it & suggest you want it checked over by a nearby garage (of your choosing, at your expense)

If all looks good, offer him $2000 & go from there. OR, if you like the luggage ask for it to be included in the price.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Honestly it seems I've seen these exact same pictures within a year.

'81 900 Custom was one of my 2 Honda's, and is part of the reason I won't have another Honda. This is really NOT fair to Honda because this bike and the other I had '73 350-4 were both oddball bikes and does not reflect on current Honda offerings.

The 900 Custom was a darn good interstate bike, in fact the faster you went on the interstate the better it handled........if you got on a curvy road you better be going slower than the posted max speed for the curve. The bike is actually dangerous out on a curvy road.

But don't believe me, look at what wiki has to say.......referred to as a tractor trailer in curves

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CB900C

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
IF the bike checks out to be what he says it is, l wouldn't be concerned that the seller is asking a few hundred over bluebook. It looks like someone threw some good money at this bike, it is pretty darn clean. More than anything, these old Hondas are really popular in Seattle (Hi neighbor!) and l have seen people ask ridiculous prices for bikes like this.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
Personally, I think you can get a better bike for that kind of money. A Bandit 600/1200 for instance (granted, I'm biased). I paid $2300 for my current B12, and can guarantee you it handles better than that CB900.

Of course, if you really like that classic styling, go for it! I certainly understand the appeal!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts