Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, story time:

I really got into motorcycles, as a result of becoming associated with a couple of my coworkers, who are big time bikers. They were new hires, and I was one of the first people they had to help them get trained on the processes, and all of that. This has been about a year ago, and we've become good friends. Even hang out outside of work, sometimes. They are really what drove me to want to get into motorcycles, and learn to ride, and all of that. Really...I always kinda wanted to, but they gave me the motivation to actually do it.

Well, today, one of them and I got together at a festival going on in a town not far from home. Nothing out of the ordinary. But while we were hanging out, he tossed me a small felt bag, and in true biker style, just told me "Here ya little leperchaun ( my nickname in the group, I can explain it if need be ). Don't say I never gave you nothing."

I opened it, and looked inside, and was actually quite moved by the gift. It was my very own gremlin bell. Anyone who knows the tradition behind these little things, should understand what a meaningful sentiment that is.

So, for discussion's sake, anyone else have any stories about the "little things" you've gotten as gifts, that mean a lot to you?

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Out of the blue an old friend of mine gave me a special wrench to be able to get to the back screws on a Harley rocker cover.

I sort of paid it forward by giving a friend of mine a tool for easily taking off the pushrod tube clips.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
In 1985, when I bought my first motorcycle, my neighbor across the street (who had been a motorcyclist for a number of years before me) came over late one night, after I had gone to bed, and put an unopened 1982 Harley Davidson Daytona Beer can on the hood of my truck.

I had a sneaking suspicion about who did it, so I went over and asked him about it. He said it was a "welcome to the community of motorcycling" gift.

I stil HAVE that can!! (Unopened)

-Soupy

·
Motorbike Macgyver
384 Posts
I can't think of any meaningful gifts I've received atm, but I can think of a really good story of a gift I've given to the same person twice. Here is the story. I first met a friend of mine back in the summer of 2000. After we had been friends for a few months, I came across two golden dollars and I gave one to him and kept one for myself as a symbol of our friendship. Of course through the years, after all the times moving and whatnot, somehow we both lost them. So last year, I was at the bank and I asked for two golden dollars. I took them home and drilled holes in them for small silver loops, I don't know what they're called but I put strings through them and made necklaces, one for me and one for my best friend. Sure, it might sound a little corny but it is meaningful to both of us nonetheless.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Little things given or done just because you want to, mean more than anything you ever do. A complete stranger to me except for seeing posts of that person right here at this site and maybe a few direct post back to that person, sent me a gremlin bell once.

That kind of giving can not be matched. Not that each and ever one of you out there aren't great, you are, but I'm sure if I'm ever able to meet that person we will be much more than just forum friends.

Someone going out of their way for anything just because they want means more than money can buy. We have in many cases forgot that in this world we live in.

My hat is off to all of you that do these things on a daily basis. You are to be commended. Just know that the recipients do appreciated it whether they say so or not.

I'm probably the worlds worst for not doing that kind of thing. I'd like to think I do but things sometimes don't come across like we want.

We all just need to keep trying. It does our own heart good in the end. Carry on!

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See? This is the stuff I'm talking about. The little things in life that, to an outsider, might seem silly, corny, etc. They may seem silly or whatever to them, but to the people receiving the gift, they understand the point, and it means more than some might realize.

All too often, people seem to be caught up in price-tags. The gift only means as much as the giver paid for it. But I've come to find that a great gift doesn't have to cost a penny, necessarily. My little gremlin bell probably didn't cost $10. But it means that my buddy is looking out for me, and wants me to be safe from the "gremlins". You can't put a price on something like that.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I still ain't gonna hang no stinkin bell from MY bike!!!! (lol)

-Soupy

·
8,606 Posts
And I don't want no Mr. T starter set:p

Sam:biggrin:

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
I still ain't gonna hang no stinkin bell from MY bike!!!! (lol)

-Soupy
Yeah, you got to me man enough to accept it for what it is. But I think you'll be safe so don't worry about receiving one.:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
518 Posts
I hang out with some Texas guys sometimes. The TWT. I met them at a meet and eat shortly after buying the NCX, and one of them gave me a gremlin bell with the Texas flag on it. I thought that was really cool. You're not supposed to buy them for yourself. It's on my bike now.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
In 1985, when I bought my first motorcycle, my neighbor across the street (who had been a motorcyclist for a number of years before me) came over late one night, after I had gone to bed, and put an unopened 1982 Harley Davidson Daytona Beer can on the hood of my truck.
Dude gives you a can of stale beer and you keep it?

Is this the same guy who scratched your truck for you?

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts