Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this year starts my 30th year on a motorcycle. In that 30 years I have ridden almost every year, some way more than others, and owned a motorcycle all but three of them in the early 90’s. But this past Saturday I did something I don’t ever remember voluntarily doing before in the entire time. It was a perfect day in my part of the world, upper 70s clear sky, wife gone on a dress shopping trip with friends. So with a perfect day to myself and two perfectly fine running motorcycles in the garage, I choose NOT TO RIDE!
It pains me to say all that.

I work 4x10’s most weeks. That gives me Friday’s off most weeks. Because this is a known fact in my family, I am rarely off on Friday. Someone always seems to have something that needs fixed or looked at. My loving wife is usually the contact to set me up with all these “opportunities”. You know idle hands are the devils workshop…

But this past Friday I was off the hook it seemed. I had my lawn mower down awaiting a new push rod. The part was due in Friday afternoon at the dealer about 20 miles from the house. She knew I needed to fix it, so she didn’t have any other plans for me. She works Friday but has her own business, so she is normally out of my hair for awhile.

Friday we meet my brother and his girlfriend for breakfast. My wife and I drive separate because she has to go on to work. I decide to take the Harley (1995-883), it is the first time I have even started it this year. But it fires right up and I take it to breakfast, about an 8 mile round trip. We have a good time together and everyone takes off for the day. I got a couple of projects around the house to keep me busy till I got to go after the part. But as it turns out I didn’t have all the parts for my planned plumbing project.

I call her about an unrelated matter and she mentions a town wide yard sale that is going on. Its about 15 miles down the road, I got nothing better to do, so I take the Honda (2005 VTX 1300), and head out. Turns out she told me the wrong town or I heard it wrong, we will never know. But when I get to this small town it is apparent that they are not having a town wide yard sale. No way am I going to call her to ask, if you are married more than 10 or 15 minutes I am sure you know what I am saying.

So I ask at the only gas station in town and he tells me the town I am really looking for. It’s not all that far away, he even points out a road that is a short cut to the place. I bet you think you know where I am going with this, but you are wrong. It was an actual short cut! I hit a few yard sales. I don’t find anything of real interest, nothing I can get in a saddle bag anyway.

It’s about time to go after the push rod as I am a good 40 miles from the place now. So I take the long way around, and stop and eat lunch at a Chinese joint that is not really on the way. I get a call from the parts place telling me my part is ready for pick-up. I go get the part and head back. I take a “back way” on a road I think I know where it comes out. I bet you think you know where I am going with this. But you are wrong, it comes out right where I thought it did, and it shaved a few miles off.

By the time I get back to our town I got a little over 100 miles on the clock and stop for gas. Then get home and install the push rod and set the valve clearance. I put everything back together, my wife is running late so I go ahead and start mowing. Mowing normally takes about an hour and a half, but I already had some of it mowed before the mower broke down earlier in the week. Turns out she pulls in just as I am finishing up. She sees the bike out and says something not completely unlike; “Honey, take me for a spin.” Yes we are both Johnny Cash fans…

We have been looking for a piece of luggage to add to the rack on the bike. I have hard bags but didn’t really want a truck just yet. We road down and picked up a nice Saddleman travel bag that matches the bike and will give us a lot more room when we travel this year. While in the “city” we road around a little, down to see how high the Ohio River was running, and just people watch. We took a different way home, because that’s what you do on a bike.

We had a great time, like we always do. By the time we made it back to our neck of the woods I had a little over 100 miles on the clock again. It was a great day, I don’t think the sun was in for a second all day. The temp when I went to breakfast was barely 50, but nearly 80 when we took our spin. When we got back my wife told me it looked like I sure got a lot of sun! I figured some wind burn from the cool morning.

When I got up Saturday morning it was obvious I had got “a lot of sun”. My eyes nearly swelled shut, and of course my face had a certain glow about it…
So I had to spend a perfect Saturday hiding from the sun with SPF2000 on rather than riding a butt off somewhere.

I write all that to say, wear sunscreen out there! I can remember when I didn’t think it affected me at all.
But the doctor tells me that my insulin makes me sun sensitive.
Smelling like the beach sure beats getting a piece of nose cut off, skin cancer is for real.

Ride safe and often.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
That reminds me I have to go pick up some sun screen. The stuff I bought last year stains clothing and goes into the trash.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Sunscreen and Chap Stick with SPF stay in our trunk. On some of our trips our lips nave gotten a little tender.

I also have a warning, if you have long hair and get it cut above your neck and ears be sure to put extra sunscreen on your ears and neck! Don't ask me how I know this. LOL

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
We joke in our family that my youngest sun can get a sunburn if he forgets to turn his closet light off at night...

...and he gets that honest.

SPF 70+ is a staple, especially since we moved to south Texas

·
Registered
43 Posts
Four years ago I'am packing for my yearly Bonneville Speed Week ride, meet friends and make new ones and do photography, well I grab what I think is my sun screen without looking.
Cruzing the pits and staging area I don't wear a helmet, well when I arrive home every one in the shop is just staring at me so I look in the bathroom mirror HOLLY **** it's the lizard man, yea wrong SPF.
Put the glasses on old man!

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
Sun screen

When we are out on the boat for the most excellent summer cruise, I have an auto sunscreen application advisory device. Her name is Admiral Shirley.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
886 Posts
I used to work with some guys in the plumbing trade when we were doing ground works (putting in sewer pipe before the slab is poured) that liked to take their shirts off in the summer. Of course they never used sunscreen and let the sun burn them until they had blisters all over their backs. I smoke about a pack a day but I wonder which of us has cancer first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts