Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK ... fatal accident for an MC rider.
This one is not pleasant - goes down very quickly.

More than anything else ... this video is a graphic demonstration of why high speeds on a motorcycle are not a good strategy. There is NO TIME for your brain to react to a situation and find an escape. Also, the nature of this particular accident means that the escape paths for the motorcycle are almost non-existent.

Ride with this in mind.

http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/motoring/motoringfeatures/family-releases-fatal-motorcycle-crash-video-11363930979678

regards,
dT

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
My condolences to the family. No time to react. Thanks for the sober reminder, no matter how hard to watch.

-soupy

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,226 Posts
This is why I do not ride like that on public roads. Makes you realize just how important wearing the proper gear cab be as well.

To be honest, it appeared that even at that speed, there was time to slow and swerve to the right. I could not see if there was another vehicle behind the car he hit. also, from the perspective of the driver, it can be deceptive of just how fast a motorcyclist is going, so even if the driver had seen the motorcyclist, he may have thought there was enough time to safely make the turn.

I wonder if the motorcyclist might have been distracted by something, maybe just by thinking of something other than riding? That would make it so that he would not have time at all to react.

I take three lessons from this.
1) DO NOT ride (or drive) faster than it is safe to do. He was clearly going way faster than was safe to do.
2) ALWAYS pay attention! You can never tell when someone is not going to be watching, so you have to be the one that IS watching what others do.
3) Wear your gear. At the very minimum, wear a helmet. Granted, he did have a helmet on, and if the speed is high enough, no amount of gear may be enough, but you never know when an accident will happen, so it is better to increase your chances of survival and wear your gear.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Granted, he did have a helmet on, and if the speed is high enough, no amount of gear may be enough,.........
I've heard this attested to, (and so have almost all of you, I'm sure) by the folks who have to pick up the pieces. In a number of fatalities involving motorcycles, they WERE wearing the right gear (helmet included).

Let's face it, we are MUCH more vulnerable on a bike. That's stating again, something we all know.

So we do as you said.........watch our speed, think of everyone else as an idiot (in a "cage" AND on a bike) and preemptively take steps to avoid potential issues.

-Soupy

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
To be honest, it appeared that even at that speed, there was time to slow and swerve to the right.
You can hear him exclaim once he realized what was going on. At that point there was no time to react. Had he been Searching ahead and Evaluating the situation there could have been plenty of time to Execute a safe maneuver.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Very sad video :(

Yes he was flying down that road.. the last car he passed almost looked like it was parked..

You can play the "probably" or the "what if" game all day, wondering how that accident could have played out if he was going closer to the speed limit & more alert.. yeah he may have been able to either swerve & miss the car completely, or slow down to a survivable speed before the impact.. but who can be certain of anything, right?

I don't think it would have been a smart choice to try & veer to the RIGHT of the turning car.. just in case that car aborts the turn at the last moment. If avoiding the impact was impossible, better to veer WAY left and into the ditch.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah ... I heard also 97 mph. very easy to get to that speed when you twist the throttle.

NO TIME to evaluate and compute a possible solution. Just no time.
that's the big disadvantage of high speeds - when things go wrong ... its all happening too fast for the human brain to absorb.

dT

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I went back and watched it again ... looking very carefully at the timing.

FROM about the point where the oncoming car starts to turn in front of the motorcycle ... there is maybe ONE SECOND before the collision.

Just one second.

If the bike is moving at 97 mph, that's about 142 feet per second.
Or about 47 yards a second.
That distance roughly agrees with the video - if you look at when things seems to "go wrong" ... the rider is about 45-50 yards from the car that is turning. This is when the MC rider's eyes and brain register that the whole situation has gone into the toilet - MAJOR COLLISION.

Think about it .... one second ... to react, brake, and swerve.

I doubt that even the top 1% of riders could pull off an escape under those conditions, especially with a car blocking their lane entirely.

The only solution here ... is to keep speeds down.
BUT REMEMBER ... even if you were riding at 48 miles per hour .... which seems more reasonable for the road condtions and is HALF of the speed of the motorcycle in the video ...

that still only gives you TWO SECONDS to react, brake and swerve

in this accident scenario. still - not much time ... even for really good riders.

dT

·
"Young Grasshopper"
351 Posts
This was a hard video to watch but I think we al need to take this to heart and SLOW DOWN ride the speed limit enjoy the ride and look at every car and think "what might he do and what do I do if he does." I am not yet 16 so I haven't driven on the road much but I will remember this video for a long time. My condolences to the family.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
First of all, l think it is really thoughtful that his family allowed this video to be shown to the rest of us. His mother had very objective commentary about her son's riding. My condolences to them.

TBH, as the video rolled on and on l wasn't sure if l wanted to see it or not. Once l did watch it, the hair stood up on the back of my neck and my heart was pounding. I'm not going to try to dissect the video...as soon as he took off from the beginning and l heard that bike wind up l could sense that it was at very high speeds. This is a great reminder for me to always keep my eyes open, always be ready to move quickly, always remain highly visible, always fully gear up, and always pray before l leave home. There was a time when l was younger where l equated how good of a rider you were with how fast you could ride. Today l have no feelings that way whatsoever. Today l am not in a race...l just choose the bike as my mode of travel. The goal is to make it to the other side.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
The one thing I got from it is slow down and don't ride like a fool. Yes most accidents are preventable, but maintaining a reasonable speed may have changed the outcome.

RIP to the rider.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"slow down and don't ride like a fool. "

RIGHT.

and when riding a 2-lane highway, be aware (in the USA) if there is a turnoff coming up - on your right - so that oncoming traffic might swing into it. that's where the cars will cut you off.

good luck,
dT

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I don't agree that there wasn't time to react. He could see the car, he could see the road they could possibly turn on and he could foresee the potential situation. He had plenty of time to react...by slowing down and counting on the car to pull in front of him. I ride quite quickly at times but doing it in his situation was unfortunately his demise and one I desperately try and avoid.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts