Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just surfing Youtube for some Gixxer videos and I came over this:

If that happened to me just out the dealer door, I'd literally hug it over the tank and start crying like a 2 year old. :frown:

Seriously now, have you guys ever crashed a brand new bike? :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
When I purchased my first bike I had to call the wife to come and ride it home. I had just passed the BRC the day before and had a total of maybe4/5 hours riding. My wife has been riding all her life. I felt not one once of shame that I had to call her to ride the bike home. Didn't want to take the risk. I didn't tell her I was buying a bike so image the argument after I begged her to come get me.:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Seriously now, have you guys ever crashed a brand new bike? :biggrin:
No, but then I've never owned a brand new bike :(

Seriously though, how did that guy wipe out? Was there "new tire goop" on the tires or what? Ground wasn't wet, and he gave it hardly no gas at all & down he went.,.

Several years ago a buddy bought a brand new Yamaha Grizzly ATV, he was soooo excited! We took it up to cottage country, he unloaded backing it off his pickup truck. After a few moments pause on the ground he puts it in forward gear and, WAM! Drives it right into the back of his pickup :p

·
Registered
535 Posts
Why would this make you cry? If a person is stupid enough to buy a gixxer and ride it without having the required skills, it's better they crash it in the parking lot than hitting someone else at full speed.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The tires are new. They have a special coating on them. You have to be very careful the first 100 miles. Atleast that's what I was told when I drove off the lot with 1 mile on the bike.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Too much throttle. Get those revved up too high and they will break loose the rear tire in a heartbeat. He was goosing the throttle a bit to sound cool and released the clutch at the wrong moment.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yeah I'd believe the tires had some sort of coating on them. Normally sure if you punch the throttle at the wrong time that is begging for trouble. But that guy barely touch the throttle when he dropped the bike.

Shouldn't a tire store/dealer scrub the protector off the tires before releasing a bike to a customer?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Not a new bike story, but I had a work mate who was looking for a new company car. We had the choice of anything up to a dollar limit. Now this was years ago, and he really wanted a Datsun 180SSS and finally talked his local Datsun dealer into lowering the price to the purchase limit on the very last one of the model run so he could buy it.

He picked the car up, drove out of the dealer's yard, through the green light at the traffic lights on the corner (about 100 yards) and a car came through the red light from his side and ripped open the engine compartment on his car. The front panels, the engine and firewall were peeled off to the side, just like opening a sardine can and he was sitting there with his legs visible where the front of the car should have been.

No injuries, but you just had to feel for the guy after all that negotiating and he couldn't then get a replacement 180SSS because they had been replaced by a newer and more expensive model.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
"Shouldn't a tire store/dealer scrub the protector off the tires before releasing a bike to a customer?"

The only tire protector I've ever seen on motorcycle tires was the blue looking stuff that's on some whitewalls.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
"Shouldn't a tire store/dealer scrub the protector off the tires before releasing a bike to a customer?"

The only tire protector I've ever seen on motorcycle tires was the blue looking stuff that's on some whitewalls.
I think he's talking about the greasy feeling you can feel on new tires....the remnants of the release agent used in making the tire....

as for why dealers don't clean it off before releasing a bike...the only way I know of to get rid of it is to ride and "scrub" it off on the streets

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
I think he's talking about the greasy feeling you can feel on new tires....the remnants of the release agent used in making the tire....

as for why dealers don't clean it off before releasing a bike...the only way I know of to get rid of it is to ride and "scrub" it off on the streets
That's a myth, Goliath. Tire manufacturers don't use a release agent when making motorcycle street tires. The reason a new tire feels slick is because it is: It's made in a very, very smooth mold, usually chrome plated. The tire still needs to be "scrubbed in" as you pointed out, but there's nothing for the tire dealer to clean off.

The exception is Michelin, but that's a soapy kind of product and it gets cleaned off as a part of the manufacturing process. I'm not sure what the Asian tire manufacturers do though.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
OK so what do you experts think that guy in the video did wrong to crash? I've watched & listened to the clip a few times, and can only guess there was *something* on his tires that made them extra slippery. More slippery than even a normal new tires should be.

IMO he wasn't speeding,, he wasn't banked over very much,, the pavement appeared dry,, and he only blipped the throttle a TINY bit. He did NOT goose the throttle, trying to impress his bud with the video camera...

There are 1000's of comments on that youtube & many of them mention some sort of "tire wax" that may have caused the slip.

If the new tire itself doesn't come with some sort of coating, maybe some overzealous store employee tried to make the bikes look extra-awesome by detailing the tires with something like ArmorAll? Which would have been a HUGE mistake

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yes Dods I listened to that clip a few times. Yes it does sound like he he did *blip* the throttle just as the bike went down, but only a very tiny amount. Certainly nowhere NEAR the amount that would have overwhelmed the traction even for a normal brand new tire.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts