Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,458 Posts
All true but 11. They have no idea what oil is, so they wouldn't even know that they're supposed to check it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
As far as #12 goes, they are getting very close. They do have some that now have touch-screens and the screens are getting bigger even. So soon they'll have everything available at their fingertips.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Funny, but in a sad, "look how pathetic we are becoming" kind of way because of how true it is.

I work in the public school system with younger students and it doesn't appear that it will be getting better any time soon!

·
Resident of Munchkin Land
230 Posts
In the event you're serious, kids walk around with their pants under their rear-ends, they can't walk like that, let alone ride a motorcycle.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Oh yeah that. I don't see much of that anymore and I live in a neighborhood where hip hop is the most popular form of music. It was stupid back in the '90s and it's still a dumb style today.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,983 Posts
When I was at the Progressive International Motorcycle Show in Chicago last weekend the overwhelming majority of the people at the show were older adults. Maybe not as old as me, at 75, but I would say that the average age I saw was probably 45 to 50. The smaller number of young men at the show seemed primarily interested in the "adventure" bikes. Some of the sport bikes had very few folks getting on them and looking at them, and even fewer on the cruisers.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I'm a millennial, I'm sad that it appears not many in my generation are getting on two wheels.

Shoot, the vast majority of people my age that I talked to about it simply won't ride because they're concerned about safety. They want to come home to their wives, children, and whatnot.

For me, I live for the thrill, fun, and an amazing lifestyle of motorcycling. :)

Reactions: vistavette

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
Most kid today have lived their life thru computers and have no idea how to challenge life. It's probably best that they stay away from motorcycles as they just don't have the right frame of mind to deal with them. You are right Miss M, it is sad. They have no idea what they've let slip by them. I do see another generation coming that already has a better frame of mind. I suspect they will be the next wave of bikers. But there will be a huge gap. There may be some coming across our southern border that will take this bull by the horns as well. Who knows?

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,983 Posts
Seems that a large percentage of young people are not even interested in getting their driver's license, let alone riding a motorcycle. Several of my own grandchildren are old enough to legally drive, and one of them still doesn't have a license at 23, another waited until he was 20 to get his license and similar apathy about driving has been expressed by others. Personally I am jealous of those grandparents that get to introduce their grandchildren into the motorcycle world by giving them rides as passengers on grandpa's or grandma's motorcycle. Only one of my many grandchildren have ever even shown the slightest interest in going for a ride with me, and her mother (my youngest daughter) totally freaked out. Only one of my five grown children has ever been interested in motorcycles, and that one sold his bike as soon as he got married to a young woman that said motorcycles scared her. Rather than trying to get her past that fear, he just put motorcycling into his past, never to look back. Makes me sad. But the bottom line is that I do not expect to have any trouble finding bikes to meet my needs for the rest of my riding life, so I'm not too worried about young folks lack of interest. To each their own.

Reactions: Miss Mercedes

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,305 Posts
Youth is wasted on the young.

It was the great Irish dramatist and author George Bernard Shaw who famously declared that “youth is wasted on the young.” He later expounded upon his derogatory remark about young people of the day that “they’re brainless, and don’t know what they have; they squander every opportunity of being young, on being young.”

Sam:nerd:

·
Visionary
5,407 Posts
Something sure has changed with the 25-30 year olds of today.
My brother and I both grew up riding bikes, mini bikes, dirt bikes, mopeds etc, most everyone I grew up with either did ride or still does or at least tried it when we were young. But the interest was there.

Only 1 of my 3 children had any interest and can ride a motorcycle but she doesn’t ride on the street, only occasionally on dirt. Her sister and brother want nothing to do with bikes.

My wife is a lifelong rider, she has 3 girls, they all grew up riding on the back of bikes but only one rides and has a bike, the other two have no interest. Her grandson loves riding on the back of our bikes when he visits though so there is hope, but he lives 400 miles away so it’s only occasionally.

Where did we go wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
No idea. I spent my childhood riding mountain bikes, riding mopeds, and driving go karts with their governors removed. I seems the adults of my generation are super safety-conscious, but where did it come from? My school just barely taught us the bare minimum to make sure you don't get a STD, let alone anything about powersports. And it couldn't have been parents because our parents are generally the Boomers that make up the bulk of riders today?

Maybe it was growing up in a society where the Internet really started gaining traction and influence?

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
I think we have drummed safety for so long and hard that kids won't do anything with the slightest risk. You hear parents all the time..."don't do that, you'll get hurt". Add our education system in that adds to it along with video games and social media to grab their spare time and bingo, no one has the slightest interest in scoots. I'd say to make it mandatory to get a drivers license but many kids could care less about that as well.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,658 Posts
You can go anywhere you want on the internet, you don't have to actually experience it like we did. And what better way to experience life than with the wind in your knees.

·
Registered
32 Posts
lol Hog.

My kids (19 and 17) and their friends for the most part were jonesing to get their DL ASAP because of the freedom that being able go get out on their own. That said they know plenty that don't get their license until way later, if they even have one yet.

Last year my then 18YO son was a Sr in high school. Was insistent and persistent on buying his own bike. I was not a fan of the idea, but since I knew that he was already in the process of signing up for the USCG on his own accord I relented. The one stipulation was not a high powered sport bike. He ended up buying a Honda CBR300R that was a good match speed wise with the 750 cruiser I bought. I sold the CBR for him after he left for boot camp late last summer. Sold for what he bought it for.

I got the MSF course for us to go through together (was a great weekend with him). Then for the first time in better than 30 years I got a bike so we could ride together. He's now off enjoying life on the other side of the Country, but I'm still enjoying riding my cruiser. He'll likely get another bike at some point when he gets more established. Even though we weren't able to ride together often I am really glad for the time that we did, and I will for sure do some more when we visit each other.

EDIT. My 17YO daughter has asked about getting the endorsement, but I have put it off for now telling her she has to wait until 18 like her brother. She is ok as a passenger, but says she wants to be the operator. She's going the college route so will be with us for a few years. Will probably have her and my wife (mom) take the course together and I'll go as an observer if she is still talking about it next year.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Damn, that was funny, very entertaining post.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts