Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scoured the forum bunches before posting this because i didn't see the answer and so...Its probably so dumb no on asks.

I am riding a bike for the first time without rear indicators which will be fixed this weekend. The thing is... I have been using hand signals to make up for the lack of indicators.

The Dilemma: How can I signal which direction I am going to turn when sitting at a stop sign while still holding the clutch? Am I to shift into neutral and signal and then shift back into first as I complete the turn?

Forgive my ignorance.

·
Registered
153 Posts
That's what I do. Downshift to second for a little engine brake, then neutral, signal while slowing further. Hand returns to engage clutch as I come to a stop.

Bit tricky.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
How about PUTTING rear "indicators" (commonly called "Signal Lights" here) on the bike!? Or is that such a simplistic answer that it probably isn't worth saying???

(Or buy a bike that HAS them)

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
21,771 Posts
You basically can only signal the person directly behind you and in front of you as you come to your stop. After that, tuff, no need to just hold your hand out. Then either make a quick turn when the light changes or when you can safely roll on. You are not expected to sit there signaling. "Most" people in cages understand this. I say "most" because like you, not all. We have become too accustom to turn signals yet hand signals are in fact more likely not to fail except where you've noted.:D

It's not a stupid question especially if you are younger. Us old farts are used to them and understand there are times it just isn't practical. People in cages used to and very very few still do use hand signals and would rest the arm on the window. You can't so don't even try. I would not suggest being in neutral unless there are several cars behind you.

But if you do, in that case you don't need to hold your arm out all the time but instead re-signal just before you put the bike back in gear and hope the brain dead get it.

This however should all be corrected with proper turn signals installed.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
That is the one thing I was surprised that they did not teach at BRC. Actually I haven't seen it taught anywhere. How many people would even understand what the hand signal even means? It is important to know. My truck right now is having "problems" with it's blinkers. Sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't. So I have to use my hands to signal to the driver behind me that I'm turning, as I've spent hours trying to find the short.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I dont remember it being mentioned at all in my class but i just looked in my book there is a page of hand signals but it seems more geared for group ride signals

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
It really doesn't matter if you know the proper hand signals. The cage drivers around you will not recognize them. They may notice that you are waving at them but will not register as a left or right turn intent.

·
American Legion Rider
21,771 Posts
That is so not true. They do recognize right or left hand signal, they just ignore it. They don't understand slow down or back off though.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
It really doesn't matter if you know the proper hand signals. The cage drivers around you will not recognize them. They may notice that you are waving at them but will not register as a left or right turn intent.
Most should... they teach them in primary school for when you ride your bicycle, at least they used to when I went to school lol!

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
So I have to use my hands to signal to the driver behind me that I'm turning, as I've spent hours trying to find the short.
A good automotive electrician should be able to find and fix that short for you in under 2 hours. 1.5 if you take donuts....

It's gonna get cold rolling the window down here real shortly...

·
Premium Member
7,852 Posts
Signals

Stopped in neutral you can use your left hand for a left turn, and your right hand for a right turn.
Slowing down and turning right, you can use your right hand to signal someone pulling out. Or your left in a stop signal motion.
Changing lanes on the highway; left is easy, right is left hand up with a nod to the right. If close to a cage close on your right, a right hand will work. Give the cages time to notice your signal. Signal first, wait a moment then make your move.
We have all seen cages turning first then signalling.

Both hands occupied going around Marble Arch? use a leg.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How about PUTTING rear "indicators" (commonly called "Signal Lights" here) on the bike!? Or is that such a simplistic answer that it probably isn't worth saying???

(Or buy a bike that HAS them)

-Soupy
Maybe I did not make it clear in the original posting and to that extent I do apologize. The bike HAS them, but the back indicators went out. They will be fixed this weekend. I am not just a weekend or holiday rider though and use a bike as my sole means of commuting and so the issue is relevant to me until I can have it fixed this weekend.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Using Hand for Turn Signals!

It was in my class many moons ago.
^^^^^^^^+1 took the BRC in 1973, we were taught that also.
I have used BOTH turn signals and Hand signals as long as I have been riding!
Its just a habit now, one thing I have noticed is that the "Motion" OF MY ARM INDICATING A TURN sometimes seems to grab Cage drivers attention even if they are oblivious to the blinking turn signals ON THE BIKE!!
So....at least thats my opinion
Ed

·
Registered
215 Posts
I do the same thing if I think the guy behind me is not paying attention, I'm mostly just trying to g make myself larger and more visable.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
A good automotive electrician should be able to find and fix that short for you in under 2 hours. 1.5 if you take donuts....

It's gonna get cold rolling the window down here real shortly...
Got it all fixed. Hours spent looking for nothing!!!! Turns out I didn't have brake lights neither. On the back of the brake pedal is a box of some sort. It looked like it was plugged in, but was pulled out just a hair. Turns out, the signals and the brake lights work off of this. When we had the steering wheel pulled off trying to fix it's looseness problem, we must have tugged on the wires a bit to hard. OMG, what a nightmare it was doing that steering column!!! You literally need just about every tool in the toolbox!!!!! All that, to tighten up three bolts.......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts