Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here I sit... Stewing... trying to find a fix for my winter blues (other than whining about the winter blues)
And I got to thinking... a lot of people here are familiar with long rides, and that got my hamster (in a F***ing snowsuit) thinking. What are your thoughts on maybe putting our minds together and finding a place in the western states to meet up? Sort of a meet and greet to get to know the people on the forums? I live in Edmonton and that's the reason why I'm suggesting a meeting spot in the Western States. The boarder is only a 2 day ride for me, and I figure that if we can organize a meeting spot, it may be fun, and provide a bunch of us to network and do a ride with each other instead of just riding the electrical highway. Speaking of which, I need to step outside and scrape the ice off my internet cable before it freezes and makes me lose my connection.
Anyway. Post your thoughts on the matter, and maybe we can muddle together a plan.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
We're probably going to be riding through Arizona in late May / early June, and will likely cut up just into Utah and Colorado.

It wouldn't be easy to plan on meeting at any specific time or place, but Older Then Dirt said he'd provide free beer for any forum member that goes through Norman OK this summer. Maybe we could all plan on meeting up at his house?:biggrin:

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I'll start planning now. Maybe we can hire a babysitter for our grandkids...unless it's on a weekend. Ummm Busch Light please. :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eye,
I like the sound of either Idaho, OR Utah for a final destination. When do you figure you would be arriving in say, Utah?
And anyone else interested in joining us, please mention whether or not somewhere in Utah works for you.

·
Premium Member
6,536 Posts

I will likely be in WA a couple of times this year. Will be at the track in Kent, and the track in Shelton. Will be on the boat for the hot months. Might make a trip East to Kelowna. About the third week of July there is a bike get together at Twisp in WA. Twisp is west of Hwy 97 on Hwy 20. Gets a lot hotter there than most folks think.
Hwy 97 runs from Alaska to Mexico.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Eye,
I like the sound of either Idaho, OR Utah for a final destination. When do you figure you would be arriving in say, Utah?
And anyone else interested in joining us, please mention whether or not somewhere in Utah works for you.
I'm guessing around the 1st of June, give or take a week. It depends on the weather, of course, but also on how long we end up visiting with my relatives in South Texas. (Some of them I only just met in the last couple years, so we might want to stay a few days and get to know them this time.)

·
Very Famous Person
9,686 Posts
--

On many higher western passes, first of June is still cool riding what with snow usually on the ground. Lower elevations are okay.

I like my riding in western Colorado (from Grand Junction) and some of eastern Utah as I can spend a day and 250 miles going from high elevation views of distant peaks in the Rockies to deep canyons cut by long ago glaciers and colorful river cut narrow canyons with walls of many hued rock layers. Of course, there are many old mining towns that cater to passing bikers and have their own special charm. The variety in vegetation goes from sandy desert to high elevation tall conifer trees.

I do those rides every week during the summers when I'm not on the road on a trip. (Last year's 6,000 miler went north through WY, MT then west through ID and WA before heading south through OR and CA. Then back east through NV and UT to CO and home.)

As to weather, it doesn't rain a lot so riding is done on most days. Plus, there are plenty of larger towns that can accommodate r.v.s and those that want a motel.

But, hey, there might be better places.

--

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
That sounds like a beautiful area, Ron. Thanks for the descriptions. We've looked at pictures on-line and it's on our list. I think next year we might do Wyoming again and swing back south through your way. This year we'll probably just brush into CO briefly down around Mesa Verde before heading home.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
We're in the midst of buying a house, so I won't be going much of anywhere this year. But if anyone comes through Norman, I'll buy you a beer.
I actually like Busch Light Moni. ;)

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Bluff Utah is where it's at. As many cliff dwellings and ruins as Mesa Verde, just not velvet ropes or rangers saying" Don't!" It's one of the few non-Mormon dominated towns in Utah. Stay at the Recapture Lodge if you can get a res. San Juan kitchen is a great restaurant, Twin Buttes, Twin Peaks, Twin boobs, something is acceptable tourist fare. A beautiful 50 mile canyon (McElmo Canyon) ride with endless twisties over to Cortez Colorado for anything you need.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I will likely be in WA a couple of times this year. Will be at the track in Kent, and the track in Shelton. Will be on the boat for the hot months. Might make a trip East to Kelowna. About the third week of July there is a bike get together at Twisp in WA. Twisp is west of Hwy 97 on Hwy 20. Gets a lot hotter there than most folks think.

Unkle Crusty*
3rd weekend in July...is that for the R&B festival?

·
American Legion Rider
18,599 Posts
I can't say whether I might be able to meet up or not. Wife working again and health. And I prefer making longer trips with her now. She motivates me at times when I could just be happy to stay put.

·
Very Famous Person
9,686 Posts

Unkle Crusty*
--

Hwy. 20 is one of the most scenic roads anywhere (although there are a lot of them to choose from). I have posted some info and photos here.

--

·
Premium Member
6,536 Posts
July

3rd weekend in July...is that for the R&B festival?
Probably.
It clashes with the Whidbey Island race week ( sail boats ).
There is also a big meet in Annacortes. There were literally hundreds, maybe thousands of bikes at that event in 014.
And for us a lot of these events are on while we are out on the ocean waves.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Probably.
It clashes with the Whidbey Island race week ( sail boats ).
There is also a big meet in Annacortes. There were literally hundreds, maybe thousands of bikes at that event in 014.
And for us a lot of these events are on while we are out on the ocean waves.

Unkle Crusty*
I think the one in Anacortes is the Oyster run and yeah, there are probably 10,000 bikes or more. I have never gone, but friends have.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts