Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of downsizing to a 2014 S40 due to my age, and wonder what top speed is, and only so I can figure if I can ride it on the expressway safely. Thank you.

·
Registered
212 Posts
at 70 you'll swear the piston is going to come flying up thru your butt. i would look into a sv 650 because of the forward lean angle you don't feel the wind as much.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I found the S40 to be rather small, physically for me, at 6'1" and 200+ lbs. Their TU 250 actually felt "bigger", in terms of riding position/comfort.

You can get an idea of how you will fit on a bike from https://cycle-ergo.com/

Sorry, I can't answer your question about speed, but it seems it was answered on this forum previously: https://www.motorcycleforums.net/forum/tips-training/6475-s40-top-speed-gas-mileage.html

I'm an older rider, and I went with a Royal Enfield 500, which has a nice tall frame and traditional layout. I don't consider it a highway cruiser, but it will get up to around 75 and cruise at 65 for the half hour or so that I require. My C5 get's very good gas mileage too.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had an S40 years ago. Light weight, great low-end torque, belt drive & inexpensive. I always liked thumpers. It was quick off the line. Very easy to get in & out of the garage. But not nimble. My Vstrom is about 110 pounds heavier but more nimble & much better handling because of the rider position & much steeper forks. 26.5 degrees vs 35. Same with my NC700X. I never got comfortable on the S40 but it's really for someone with a 26-27" inseam. My 30" legs got tired of holding my knees in & cramped a lot so I'd let them just stick out in the wind. Pegs felt about 18" forward of normal & the seat felt about 4" too low. No upper thigh support if your legs are 30" or more. The seat's good for about 45 minutes max if you have long legs. Tail bone gets really sore an hour in. Mine topped out at 85 but felt like it could pull another gear, revving pretty high. Not something I'd want to cruise on all day at 75 or take on a twisty road, which pretty much limits it to a short commute bike, what mine was for. Check the new Kawasaki Z400.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the good comments...I will stick with my Rebel 250 for now.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Don't be completely turned off on the idea of an S40. They're good little bikes, just probably not the best "do-it-all" bike out there. Personally, I have been keeping my eyes open for a deal on a good one for the past year or so with the idea of "bobber-izing" it for an around-town fun ride.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Around here, the S40s are relatively scarce used, and seem to hold their value better than some bikes. They come up 2nd hand for $2-3K. I think I could easily find a Yamaha VStar 650 for less, as those are far more common. Not a single, of course, although it is air cooled. Not many singles to choose from really, ... how about one of those Beull Blasts?

They are making some cool looking bobbers out of old (and new) RE Bullets. Hitchcocks even makes a bolt on hardtail, if you got the $$ laying around.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Given how many older riders are trying to reenter the riding pastime – or perhaps get started for the first time – there ought to be a book or something published online about criteria and considerations. In the aviation world there is a cottage industry retraining older pilots (collectively known as rusty pilots) who have time to reenter recreational aviation, now that their careers and familial responsibilities are winding down… There ought to be some rules of thumb, if for no other reason, just to stimulate thoughts for those who are staying active in the sport…

I’ll go first -- I’m thinking that for returning riders, whatever I rode as my second bike, might be a good general place to be…

·
Registered
775 Posts
That's a good idea for a new thread, appropriately titled.

I'm gonna say:
moderate weight, below 500lbs, (225 kilos)
electric start
engine guard / crash bar

Are all features I'd suggest in a senior rider's machine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd say below 400 lbs, wet, would be a max for me....At 83, that's about it in slow going...….For younger "oldsters" 500 lbs might be great, and my first vote would be for the Kawasaki 500, six speed which weighs in around 450 lbs, give or take a few pounds...For me, the Vulcan 500 is just a bit too heavy....From mid-1996 until the end of production, the Vlucan 500 is my idea of the best all around small bike available..I don';t say that to start a fight, it is just my opinion.

Grace + Peace,

Bob in North Carolina

·
Registered
432 Posts
A buddy of mine rode his VLX all over Maryland and Virginia down into the Carolinas well into his upper 70s -- five heart attacks, and cancer survivor and still kickin' but I think his VLX is finally parked... Probably close to 500#, but the CG is so low I gather it was quite manageable, yet had enough oomph to run at highway speeds...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts