Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of the reasons I love riding, is you seem more in touch with what is around you. In a cage I seem to have tunnel vision and not take in the scenery as much. Well, I came across this beauty today, and it's something I probably drove by plenty of times in my cage. Granted its plastic and not real. But it just amazes me just how much more of life you see on a motorcycle.

·
American Legion Rider
18,937 Posts
You are so right zippy. In a cage if I go past something that might be interesting, it's gone. I ain't going back. On the bike I throw a u-turn and take a look. Have know idea why I'm stubborn like that. Bad wiring I guess.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a small restaurant that is across the street from a dairy farm. At first I had thought that one of the cows got loose. I had to do a double take. Then I thought it was funny, cause I know I can't be the first person to make the same mistake. I wonder how many patrons this place brings in just out of curiosity.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Thats a police decoy for cow poachers.

Yes, definitely see much more on a bike than in a car. It could be....
an example, If I'm going to Sandy Hook, 28 miles, takes a little over 30 min by car, takes about an hour by bike.....but I have found another route that could be up close to 2 hrs.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Smells.
In the cage, it's not noticeable.
On the bike, it's constantly changing; barbecue, mowed grass, cow manure, burning trash, clothes drier, another barbecue, fresh-cut hay, hot roadkill, cut grass again, another barbecue, roses, horse manure, another barbecue...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Good stuff here...makes you more aware even when "in a cage". My wife is always frustrated when I see something from the cage confines and turn around to take a closer look. LOL

Guess she won't be riding with me any time soon! ;)

(Though I am still a novice and can't take passengers for the time bring anyway...)

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
I actually see a lot less scenery riding my motorcycle. I find I can glance away from the road for about 2 seconds in a car, a second or more in the bike and I'm almost out of my lane.

As well, I keep my attention on the corners, looking for possible debris in the road, cars pulling out of driveways, etc. Stuff happens too fast to be sight-seeing, at least at the speeds I ride.

Now that I'm old I truly enjoy being a passenger in a cage, especially a tall truck or something that gives a great view.

Some guys come back from a MC ride all relaxed. Not me. I've got my radar on 95% of the time I'm riding. I come home tired.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Don't forget the smells of Honeysuckle, Pine trees, Fresh Rain and Ocean breezes.

I love riding along the ocean and smelling that salt air. It helps clear out my sinuses.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I actually see a lot less scenery riding my motorcycle. I find I can glance away from the road for about 2 seconds in a car, a second or more in the bike and I'm almost out of my lane.

As well, I keep my attention on the corners, looking for possible debris in the road, cars pulling out of driveways, etc. Stuff happens too fast to be sight-seeing, at least at the speeds I ride.

Now that I'm old I truly enjoy being a passenger in a cage, especially a tall truck or something that gives a great view.

Some guys come back from a MC ride all relaxed. Not me. I've got my radar on 95% of the time I'm riding. I come home tired.
On a sportbike you're leaning forward which means to look at something on the right you have to turn your head farther than if you were sitting upright. When you have to turn your head farther to the right you will tend to give a little left turn input, a sportbike is designed to react quickly to input, so you look right, give a little left turn input and bang you're in the other lane.

A cruiser is not designed to react a so fast to input. Plus you are sitting upright. So you can drive around and look at things......and relax.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts

So, what I get from your post is that you are far more aware of your surroundings on a bike. I consider that a benefit of riding. I want to experience my surroundings fully, but not become a victim of them. "Now that I'm old" really? You don't look much over 50 to me in your picture. I hope I never feel as old as you seem to. I am still a young 66, soon to be 67.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
762 Posts
Speaking of things you only notice on a motorcycle. Does anyone else see those huge fluorescent green caterpillars walking across the road where you live? I'm talking the huge ones, 4 or 5 inches long.:eek: I can see hundreds of them in a weekend, but only notice them while on my motorcycle. Sometimes I get the target fixation thing, and almost run them over too. I never seem to notice them in the car.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Can't say I have ever noticed them but maybe they don't exist here. I have noticed that odor of a burned clutch or burned brake lining the last couple of days at a particular spot near home. It is one of those smells that usually disperses quickly so it has me wondering why it has lingered.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I enjoy a spirited ride in the twisties when I get the opportunity, but they are non existent for 250 miles around my home. Around here we just have country scenery and sweeping curves at best. Riding through the twisties requires a lot of concentration, whereas a slower pace is much more relaxing. Most will consider this video boring, but maybe a few will enjoy it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
One of the reasons I love riding, is you seem more in touch with what is around you.
That's why my only car is a convertible, I almost always have the roof down, if it doesn't rain too much. Without a helmet or protective clothing, I'm even more in touch with nature around me than on a bike.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Smells...

barbecue, mowed grass, cow manure, burning trash, clothes drier, another barbecue, fresh-cut hay, hot roadkill, cut grass again, another barbecue, roses, horse manure, another barbecue...
Dead kangaroos on the side of the road passed their use by date

·
Registered
699 Posts
I find I pray a lot more on the bike. Not in a "Oh God keep me from dying" way (although I do start each ride with just such a prayer) but in that I see so much wonderous nature that I feel compelled to thank God for creating it and sharing it with me. I always ride alone, but I am never lonely. Stopping the bike at any safe point a long a road and just getting off to admire the scene in solitude makes me feel peaceful. Like Wadenelson I am tired at the end of a long ride, but unlike him, I am relaxed as well. It puts my mind in a better place.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts