Motorcycle Forum banner
161 - 180 of 181 Posts
That behavior is usually carburetor related. But since it ran great the other day, I suspect bad or stale gas at your last fill up. Or maybe even some dirt from the bottom of the gas station's tank got to your carb.

I always check the easy things first. Since you recently did work on the bike, double check your work. We can get distracted by things like being interrupted by a visitor or a phone call and when we return to the job we assume we did a certain step when we didn't. Make sure you installed the correct spark plugs and correct gap, and that the cap wires are on tight. Siphon out the gas from your tank into a gas can. Dump that gas into your car or truck's tank. Fill up with a quality national brand like BP Sunoco or Shell and add a few ounces of Seafoam to the gas tank and use that whole tankful to let it work thru your engine. You may get lucky and it clears up.

Sure wish I would have read this before I bought my bike. Took my hubby with me, but he didn't really do much. After I took it home, I figured out that the guy hadn't really been taking care of the bike. Tire pressure half what it should have been. No oil change. Dirty/dark brake fluid. Sticking throttle. Difficult to start, probably dirty spark plugs. Nothing major that I've found, but I'm putting in a bit of money to get it up to speed.
You can get that BS from a dealer too, When I bought my Sporty from New Port Richey H-D in Florida,
There were some issues not real big but The ignition switch was so worn, key could be removed in the 'ON'
position. The battery had half its cells less than half full of electrolyte, the other half were a third to a
quarter filled. The Jiffy stand had a wire through bolt the thickness of a paperclip and that jiffy stand went
missing shortly after I bought he bike. I called them and kicked some asses and got a new stand but
the bottom line is they don't seem to care at all about checking a bike as long as it starts.

However I liked the bike a lot and had the smarts to know I'd have to put in about six hundred for a new battery
and ignition, have carb pulled apart and cleaned out,new voltage regulator or R/R and spark advance unit with
out flyweights but electronic. Damn good bike now, and I'm glad I bought it, just don't ever expect a dealer to be
honest with you. I found a shop that works ONLY on Harley's and I'm sticking with that shop. The work is GREAT
ThunderBay Custom Cycles. Hillsborough ave, Tampa, Fl.

Too many people are killed and severely injured in motorcycle accidents each year. I am a Georgia Tech student who is trying to find a way to make riding safer. Please fill out this 5 question multiple choice survey to help me with my research. Thank you for your time.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/3V387TF
Respectfully, only 5,000 people die every year from motorcycle accidents. There are a bazillion other things that could more drastically reduce unnecessary deaths.

WHICH COMPANY IS THE CHEAPEST FOR MOTORCYCLE INSURANCE ON A 2012 HONDA CBR 250r? :smile:
If I was you I would check out some comparison sites and find out which will fit you. And once you find the right one go on the web and try to get that insurance in a sale or something could maybe safe you some money. I did it the same way and I am happy I did it like that. I will leave the link behind for you so that you can check the insurance if you are still looking for it. https://loanstreet.com.my/insurance/motorcycle-insurance

WHICH COMPANY IS THE CHEAPEST FOR MOTORCYCLE INSURANCE ON A 2012 HONDA CBR 250r? :smile:[/QUOTE)

Best thing to do is call up a whole slew of insurance companies, break down list into
burglary/fire/theft, property ins. protection PIP, mandatory or the least u need to
legally get on the road.

I was going to buy a Harley low rider and decided to get the wide glide instead.
Both bikes had the same size engine and body style was a little different, yet the
wide glide would cost more due to being stolen more often and more accidents
occurred on that style bike.

So if you plan one getting a certain model and get a quote then switch to a similar
bike of same brand, you could be in for a surprise even though engine size is the
same for both bikes.

Or find an insurance broker. They have access to numerous plans that might fit your needs.:thumbsup:

Rub the muffler outlet. If you get a lot of black on your
finger, it's probably an oil burner.

Smell the oil cap. If it smells burnt, the oil hasn't been
changed often enough.

Smell the oil fill hole. It should not smell like gas.
It should not smell like a junkyard. It's hard to tell
what it should smell like, but if you are a man, it's
a smell you wouldn't mind having on you except in
church. If you are a woman, it will smell like a man,
a real man.

Look at the color of the brake fluid. If it is dark, it
hasn't been changed often enough. (Not such a
big deal but it tells about maintenance in general.)

Check how snugly the chain fits the rear sprocket.
If you can pull the chain away from the sprocket
(at the rearward most part of the sprocket) it is
worn. If you can see through between the chain
and the sprocket, it the chain is all used up, and
it has been using up the sprockets as well. You
will need to replace both.

Look for wear on the sides of the sprocket(s).
This shows misaligned rear wheel from adjusting
the chain wrong.

If only the outside ends of the pegs are scraped,
it means the owner is a good rider. If the whole
peg is scraped, the owner is a lousy rider.

Check the wear on disk brake pads and the
wear indicator pointer on drum brakes.

These items are not reasons to reject a bike,
unless too many of them are bad. They mostly
affect how much you will need to spend soon,
so you would adjust your price negotiations.

Thanks for the list, love the part about the oil fill hole.

161 - 180 of 181 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.