Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are a car buff you know European cars are a bit on the odd side compared to American. Not bad just different mechanically. I recently did some work on a Indian Roadmaster and quickly discovered Polaris Motorsports has there own way of putting things together. The Speedometer gets it's speed input from the rear ABS sensor and the Odometer from the front sensor. Also one of the fuse blocks in in the rear fender so you have to remove the rear wheel to get at it.
The Victory Vision is another weird one, the battery is mounted in the front of the engine so getting to it is a trick as the front wheel is in the way.
They are great machines just a bit of a head scratch to work on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you are a car buff you know European cars are a bit on the odd side compared to American. Not bad just different mechanically. I recently did some work on a Indian Roadmaster and quickly discovered Polaris Motorsports has there own way of putting things together. The Speedometer gets it's speed input from the rear ABS sensor and the Odometer from the front sensor. Also one of the fuse blocks in in the rear fender so you have to remove the rear wheel to get at it.
The Victory Vision is another weird one, the battery is mounted in the front of the engine so getting to it is a trick as the front wheel is in the way.
I read the other day that some of the new Indians have the oil filter directly behind the front tire where it can catch a gravel or other road debris which can pierce it and spray oil on the ground in front of the rear tire, not to mention destroy the engine when it's all gone.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be fair many bikes have the oil filter up front - Goldwings, harleys are a couple. It's not a big deal and I have not heard of any such issues although I can see where it could happen.

·
American Legion Rider
21,150 Posts
I read the other day that some of the new Indians have the oil filter directly behind the front tire where it can catch a gravel or other road debris which can pierce it and spray oil on the ground in front of the rear tire, not to mention destroy the engine when it's all gone.
To be fair many bikes have the oil filter up front - Goldwings, harleys are a couple. It's not a big deal and I have not heard of any such issues although I can see where it could happen.
I added a leather mudflap to mine as I was concerned there as well. Not had a problem of any kind.

·
Visionary
3,633 Posts
Just finding and getting to things in a Vision (note I said in, not on) is usually 1/2 the job. I've taken every panel off one of mine more than once, it looks totally different naked. You think changing the battery is bad, try changing the windshield motor, the 6 tail light bulbs, the fuel pump or the dreaded 3 headlight bulbs, especially if you drop one of those little headlight clips down inside the headlight assembly. Basically I've found that working on a Vision is closer to working under the dashboard of a car while standing on your head than working on a typical motorcycle! :)

Of all things I found that fuses in the 2 fuse boxes can be fun to access too, especially when the fuse for the windshield motor blows, and the first step in getting to that fuse is run the windshield fully up..:wink2:

On the other hand the wheels are so easy on and off it's almost done before you get started.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts