Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I don't write very often in here but here is my turn to join this section of the forum. I have a honda cb-1 400cc (looks like this one - http://prettycarz.com/data_images/gallery/03/honda-cb-1/honda-cb-1-01.jpg )
The bike was parked in the garage for the past 3 weeks. It was running fine before that. Last night I wanted to take him for a ride but at first he didn't start at all - no reaction as if the kill switch was in off position (it wasn't). After few attempts it started but after few seconds I started hearing this strange ticking noise coming from the engine area. The sound is similar to electric switch going on and off ... I don't know the English word - relay may be ( one of those things - https://www.google.com/search?q=рел...ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMI1d6rgNGwyAIVCpUsCh35dwdc) It looks like the sound comes underneath the left side panel of the engine.
May be someone will have a suggestions what it might be?
I looked at the engine schema and it shows that the pulse generator is there. Is it possible the sound to come from there? I looked at some threads that suggest that the problem might be from loose exhaust.
I apologize if I sound like a retard but I understand nothing about bikes. I am just looking for suggestions I am not going to even try fixing it myself. Just the mechanic shop is out of the question for at least few weeks and this issue is bugging me since the bike ran fine before.

PS: I forgot to mention that the RPMs weren't steady and after working for a while the bike died on its own. It started again right away with not problem.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Does the noise go up and down with rpm's?

I'm wondering if perhaps you have a spark plug wire loose, or arc'ing to the engine. That would make a "ticking" sound. You could start it up in a dark garage and perhaps see a spark or use a water spray bottle to see a spark plug wire breaking down.

Could you perhaps record the noise, make 2-3 recordings from different distances, upload them and provide an URL?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I didn't pay enough attention if goes up and down with the rpms. I will test it tonight (which is in 2-3 hours here) and see for the spark, too. I will try to record the sound it but I am not sure that it will be possible to hear it on the recording.
How could a loose spark plug wire lead to this sound? Wouldn't it affect just the rpms?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
the ticking noise is terroristic bomb some converted hindu preist put in there. It will stop in a few ticks, and then you will have absolutely nothing to worry about man... like absolutley fixed, no more problemo.
tick can also come in the forms of small spiders that bury themselves under the skin and suck your blood, but as per usually as with most tick that is, you just take a lit match, blow it out and place the hot ember on their back and they die, and the tick stops. There are also those pesky timing chain ticks, those bad relay ticks and that strange inherent echo tick that bounces off the garage wall and make you think your headlight is talking or what ever.... good luck with that. take the bike outside, start it out there, and see if it still ticks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the ticking noise is terroristic bomb some converted hindu preist put in there.
:coffeescreen:
I am quite sure you are right.
Sorry that I write just now. It was very busy week. :(
I went to record the noise, prepared the phone and everything else pushed the starter and then ... the bike started at first try. Nothing unusual and no ticking sound :confused: I was very puzzled. Took the bike for really short ride just to see how it will behave. I made one circle in the neighborhood and took it back in the garage. Yesterday was very good day for riding but ... the bike didn't start at all. No strange noises. You can hear the starter. The battery is good. The bike tries to start and it "coughs" but won't start. I know that first I should look at the spark plugs but any other ideas for troubleshooting if the spark plugs are ok?

wadenelson very beautiful cb-1 is it yours?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts