Motorcycle Forum banner

"They pulled out in front of me"

6K views 49 replies 28 participants last post by  afixcat 
#1 ·
I'm sure everyone riding has heard the set of excuses used by a number of people when they get in an accident / "HAVE TO lay down the bike". I'm just curious here, does anyone else call BS on that the second they hear em? I had a coworker tell me today about a motorcycle accident where he crashed because a car pulled out infront of him. He explains it to me; He's cruising down the road in his lane going the speed limit, meanwhile there is a car waiting to turn at an intersection. He assumed the car is going to stop before the turn since him as the rider "had" the right of way, the car did not stop and pulled out infront of the rider and the rider slammed into the car. Now, I told him that had he been riding like he was invisible, and been thinking "oh that car might pull out infront of me" instead of; "oh that car should give me the right of way." this would have been avoidable a million times over, but apparently to him he doesn't think so. What do you guys think?

#43 ·
The doppler affect can cause drivers to not know where the bike is exactly. When im in my car, i always seem to really hear a bike as it pull past me but not from way behind. But loud pipes can help people hear you when they are changing lanes right into you. I guess it depends on where the sound is coming from in reference to where you are and if the sounds source is coming towards or away from you. My 75 CB550F is super loud compared to my VT750 Shadow but i notice heads near me turn, those way ahead seem to never look till im passing them. So i guess it depends on the situation.

#45 ·
The most valuable part of the MSF basic course is how it teaches you to assume you aren’t seen and truly ride defensively. When I was a kid my dad told me to assume everybody on the road is actively trying to kill you...stressful for sure, but causes you to be ready for anyone to make a mental error or glance your way and just not see you.

#46 ·
Yeah, i heard that too. Everyone is out to get you. I learned that its really more "Everyone isn't thinking about you." Because the human brain does what its conditioned for. It expects cars not motorcycles and peoples brains are wired to ignore what they dont expect. Most close calls are drivers just honestly not seeing you even when they look right in your direction. Other times, being stupid and fidling with their phone or whatever.

Its not that they are trying to kill you but it might as well be. Lol 😂 I have avoided many old ladies and distracted young drivers because i used what i learned in class and know that the human brain is wired a certain way. So far no accidents in my 5 going on 6 years of riding and I hope to keep it that way. They aren't out to kill you but they might as will be. I believe a paranoid told me that once. 😎

#47 ·
Yeah, i heard that too. Everyone is out to get you. I learned that its really more "Everyone isn't thinking about you." Because the human brain does what its conditioned for. It expects cars not motorcycles and peoples brains are wired to ignore what they dont expect. Most close calls are drivers just honestly not seeing you even when they look right in your direction. Other times, being stupid and fidling with their phone or whatever.

Its not that they are trying to kill you but it might as well be. Lol 😂 I have avoided many old ladies and distracted young drivers because i used what i learned in class and know that the human brain is wired a certain way. So far no accidents in my 5 going on 6 years of riding and I hope to keep it that way. They aren't out to kill you but they might as will be. I believe a paranoid told me that once. 😎

the real hard part is not zoning out like some of us do when we drive a car. at times i have to force my self to stay enguaged with riding. thats when i will typically pull into a little store and grab a coke or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.