Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
22,141 Posts
have mounted alternating Wh/Red/Green LED's to my forks
You would be paying to get your bike out of the impound yard here as well as a ticket. They frown on red lights except brakes here.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I stole this move from you awhile ago I think. I just don't trust that any driver sees me. I do my best to stay out of blind spots, I used my bikes power to get passed trucks. I got hit awhile back. It was from the left. I saw a car sitting there with the driver looking at the phone, then a white SUV roll up behind. I KNEW dude would get annoyed and gun it, I figured I would hurry up and get by. I made it in time to get hit. These days I hang back and have been doing okay. On layin'er down, This makes no sense to me. I can see doing it on a race track, but on the road I would rather have a little bit of the bike between me and whatever ill be hitting if I go down. I dont think I could ever lay'er down on purpose.
Loud pipes really do save lives(they must because people in cars complain about them)....sound travels in all directions even though many will tell you only people behind you can hear it.........I don't like sitting on loud pipes sooooo

3 headlights works wonders......especially daymaker type(I put LED running/turn signals on 2 bikes, much cheaper than adding lights and almost as good).......flickering haloes around you headlight works good(they must because people in cars complain about them)

If you have a suzuki, they have "passing lights" a trigger for left index finger to flicker dim/bright just as fast as you can pull the trigger

·
Registered
28 Posts
The doppler affect can cause drivers to not know where the bike is exactly. When im in my car, i always seem to really hear a bike as it pull past me but not from way behind. But loud pipes can help people hear you when they are changing lanes right into you. I guess it depends on where the sound is coming from in reference to where you are and if the sounds source is coming towards or away from you. My 75 CB550F is super loud compared to my VT750 Shadow but i notice heads near me turn, those way ahead seem to never look till im passing them. So i guess it depends on the situation.

·
Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
163 Posts
Loud pipes really do save lives(they must because people in cars complain about them)....sound travels in all directions even though many will tell you only people behind you can hear it.........I don't like sitting on loud pipes sooooo

3 headlights works wonders......especially daymaker type(I put LED running/turn signals on 2 bikes, much cheaper than adding lights and almost as good).......flickering haloes around you headlight works good(they must because people in cars complain about them)

If you have a suzuki, they have "passing lights" a trigger for left index finger to flicker dim/bright just as fast as you can pull the trigger

me and my best half experimented with that some. She and our daughter were following me in a 2013 ford flex. they did hear the pipes when i was in front, and on the sides, but if i was behind them my sound blended in and they lost me. wont loud pipes don save lives, but im inclined to think they do on a case by case basis. Now your three head lights? from my experiance i have noticed that if i flip on my high beam even in daylight i seem to get drivers to look at me.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
The most valuable part of the MSF basic course is how it teaches you to assume you aren’t seen and truly ride defensively. When I was a kid my dad told me to assume everybody on the road is actively trying to kill you...stressful for sure, but causes you to be ready for anyone to make a mental error or glance your way and just not see you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, i heard that too. Everyone is out to get you. I learned that its really more "Everyone isn't thinking about you." Because the human brain does what its conditioned for. It expects cars not motorcycles and peoples brains are wired to ignore what they dont expect. Most close calls are drivers just honestly not seeing you even when they look right in your direction. Other times, being stupid and fidling with their phone or whatever.

Its not that they are trying to kill you but it might as well be. Lol 😂 I have avoided many old ladies and distracted young drivers because i used what i learned in class and know that the human brain is wired a certain way. So far no accidents in my 5 going on 6 years of riding and I hope to keep it that way. They aren't out to kill you but they might as will be. I believe a paranoid told me that once. 😎

·
Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
163 Posts
Yeah, i heard that too. Everyone is out to get you. I learned that its really more "Everyone isn't thinking about you." Because the human brain does what its conditioned for. It expects cars not motorcycles and peoples brains are wired to ignore what they dont expect. Most close calls are drivers just honestly not seeing you even when they look right in your direction. Other times, being stupid and fidling with their phone or whatever.

Its not that they are trying to kill you but it might as well be. Lol 😂 I have avoided many old ladies and distracted young drivers because i used what i learned in class and know that the human brain is wired a certain way. So far no accidents in my 5 going on 6 years of riding and I hope to keep it that way. They aren't out to kill you but they might as will be. I believe a paranoid told me that once. 😎

the real hard part is not zoning out like some of us do when we drive a car. at times i have to force my self to stay enguaged with riding. thats when i will typically pull into a little store and grab a coke or something.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
me and my best half experimented with that some. She and our daughter were following me in a 2013 ford flex. they did hear the pipes when i was in front, and on the sides, but if i was behind them my sound blended in and they lost me. wont loud pipes don save lives, but im inclined to think they do on a case by case basis. Now your three head lights? from my experiance i have noticed that if i flip on my high beam even in daylight i seem to get drivers to look at me.
At one time I had a Sportster with loud pipes, and a Yamaha Stryker stock pipes, at least once every time I drove the Stryker someone would pull out in front of me........never on the Sportster.......I put 3 headlights on the Stryker and it became rare but still happened

Current I have Dyna and 3 Suzukis, 1 Suzuki and Dyna I changed out stock running/turn signal bulbs with LED......the Dyna is half loud.....haven't had a problem on either. 1 Suzuki has big headlight no running lights, stock exhaust windshield silver, big bike.......this is the only one I've been "unseen", I have use low beam and the passing light trigger(on high beam the trigger doesn't work). The other Suzuki I have just over 100 miles on.......the trigger on this one is also the high/low switch so it will work even on high beam

41 - 48 of 48 Posts