Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm sure everyone riding has heard the set of excuses used by a number of people when they get in an accident / "HAVE TO lay down the bike". I'm just curious here, does anyone else call BS on that the second they hear em? I had a coworker tell me today about a motorcycle accident where he crashed because a car pulled out infront of him. He explains it to me; He's cruising down the road in his lane going the speed limit, meanwhile there is a car waiting to turn at an intersection. He assumed the car is going to stop before the turn since him as the rider "had" the right of way, the car did not stop and pulled out infront of the rider and the rider slammed into the car. Now, I told him that had he been riding like he was invisible, and been thinking "oh that car might pull out infront of me" instead of; "oh that car should give me the right of way." this would have been avoidable a million times over, but apparently to him he doesn't think so. What do you guys think?
I ride my bike like I’m in a video game and every other vehicle on the road is trying to hit me. I don’t trust any other driver’s vision, hand/eye coordination, intelligence, and especially, their turn signals. I view everyone as the enemy. It has served me well, I have not been in an accident on my bike and have avoided many bad accidents because of how I ride.
There are way too many driver’s on the road that shouldn’t be behind the wheel of a car. More than once I’ve stopped and yelled at someone that nearly killed me and told them to go to the RMV and turn in their license because they are too stupid to be on the road.
So, no, I wouldn’t immediately call BS. The level of stupidity I see EVERY time I ride is astounding.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I see a car waiting for a turn in front of me I "do a dance," weaving back and forth, slow down, ready on the brakes. If that guy goes, I may hit him, but it won't be at full speed. I do lots of things to be seen, and some people I flat out avoid. That guy in the middle lane that's doing 52 in a 60 is probably either texting or stoned. Either way, I'm getting around him and away from him. Trucks I don't mind, but cars come shooting around them, so I stay away from them. And anyone that is a show off, revving their engine, etc...I'm gone.
Just wanted to add - everyone should mind trucks. When one of their tires explode, the flying tire pieces can take you out. Keep your distance, and pass quickly.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,286 Posts
Just wanted to add - everyone should mind trucks. When one of their tires explode, the flying tire pieces can take you out. Keep your distance, and pass quickly.
When on the freeway, if I can't get past a truck for whatever reason, I'll hang back until I can get all the way past him quickly. I never linger next to them

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have heard a few Bike stories and they are often like fish stories. A bit exagerated by the story teller.

Here is my take and in no way do i feel I'm the one to listen to. But you judge.

So let me start by saying this. Physics doesn't care who has the right of way or care about the laws of pesky humans. Yes, everyone should stop at a four way and give proper way. But how many times have we seen drivers run lights, stop signs etc? Mostly due to not paying attention and some due to just some dont feel like stopping.

So considering the consequence tends to fall heavily on a motorcycle rider regardless of right of way, its probably a good idea to always be alert and ready to give way because pride and ego will get you killed. Pride and ego won't stop a car or fix your spine later.

As for laying down a bike "because I had to bro!" I call BS. The time it takes for you to analyze a situation and make a call to let go and jump away from your bike is as much time as it takes to apply the brakes and cut your speed in half. Going from certain death to survivable. Plus, when you dump your bike, you are letting go of your brakes so your not slowing down much before impact. While continuing to brake for that extra 1 to 2 seconds could mean going from 50mph to 20 or 15mph. My bike stops pretty quick and slows safely in a second or two normaly and much faster when im emergency braking. Why would i lose those seconds of slowing so i can somehow swing my legs over my bike and push off only to still slam into whatever anyways?

Plus, because of physics, you cant really jump away. Sure you could try to action movie turn hard and then lay over and slide but the effort and time for that could have been spent slowing and maneuvering.

This is of course at reasonable speeds. Anything over say 60mph you will be either too close to react anyways to even consider dumping the bike or far enough away that you can safely stop or manuever. I see no scenario where dumping your bike is a good move. Plus, you are still traveling at the same speed as the bike so you will both keep going together in the same direction hitting whatever is in front of you. Plus a risk you may not clear the bike and it lays on you mangling your legs in the tires and exhaust.

A good way to see just how much a second can help you with braking, you can find an empty parking lot, chalk out 20ft increments to say 100ft then ride at 50mph and when you hit the line starting the measurement, do a slow safe brake. You can set up a side angle video cam. Then try a harder brake and then try your quickest without locking up in a straight line. See how quickly you come to a stop from 50mph and you can see the video time to get the seconds. You will probably find 1 second of braking can make a huge difference.

But im no expert. I have been riding for only 5 years but with zero accidents or drops. Some close calls, a 2x4 hit me flung from a 18 wheeler which hurt like heck but no actual wrecks or drops etc.

So maybe im on to something here? Lol 😏 anyways. Sorry for the long rant. Ride safe.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I call BS on statements like that NOW, but when I first started riding I was known to say the same thing. I remember the exact moment when my friend Scott called me out on it. I said to him something along the lines of "I got cut off this morning twice by stupid cars that just change lanes in front of me." He looked me straight in the eye and said, "ride with more awareness then." I got super defensive at first, thinking that he didn't understand, but then he explained that he always rides as if he is in a video game, and that everyone on the road is trying to take him out. He said I should never be in a situation where I felt like I got "cut off" because I should naturally expect all cars to cut me off and I should be ready for it, with a way out planned. At first I resisted this but once I started riding with the idea that everyone was out to get me, I was never again surprised by the actions of other vehicles. I expected them to change lanes so I altered my position on the road, I expected them to pull out in front of me at intersections so I slowed down and planned for it, I expected cars to not see me and worked on placing myself in the most visible areas. The change in mindset was incredible.

I call BS on a lot of things that riders say when they crash because they tend to want to blame someone or something on the bike. I even had a friend show me a video of his track day crash where he was blaming his suspension for causing the crash when clearly it was poor throttle control. I'm not saying that there is never going to be an unavoidable accident or a crash caused by a mechanical issue, but I do think riders need to take more of an initiative in evaluating any crash or almost crash with an open mind to see if there was anything they could have done to avoid it.
I agree 100%. I ride like everyone is going to do something stupid. Some people will say that's impossible or I'd be a nervous wreck thinking like that. Well maybe at first you might, but your mind and body train themselves to make it a natural thing to do. That has served me very well until two weeks ago when a car in the right lane decided to make a lefthand u-turn in from of me on a four lane double yellow section of the road. All my mental training was for naught. He decided he wanted to go in the other direction. I only had about a second to react before I slammed into the driver's door. I actually was doing what my mind was used to doing. I suspected the guy was either going to turn into the grocery store on the right or possibly change lanes in front of me. We had both just turned right at an intersection an he took the right hand lane and I took the left to get in his left side mirror view. Apparently I was invisible to him or he just didn't check before making an illegal move.

Either way he did the unexpected which I trained myself to anticipate. Reading the police report, I must have rracted by instinct since it said I tried to avoid the accident. I can't say how they determined that other than by witnesses, because I lost conciousness at the time of impact and no one has talked to me about the accident. I was knocked out for 1½ hours, waking up in the ER. 6 fractured ribs, fractured orbital bone and multiple contusions on the right side of my body and face.

I'm a MC mechanic and was on a customers GSXR 1000 doing a standard test ride. I'll survive and should recover for the most part. With that said, I would also call BS on dropping the bike. That is the last thing that would enter my mind. Why would you want to intentionally lose total control of the bike you're riding?

You may wreck, but as long as the tire are still contacting the surface of the road, you still have the chance to do something to slow down if not stop the bike. If you drop the bike you are at the mercy of the momentum and have no mean of changing the direction of travel.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I have heard a few Bike stories and they are often like fish stories. A bit exagerated by the story teller.

Here is my take and in no way do i feel I'm the one to listen to. But you judge.

So let me start by saying this. Physics doesn't care who has the right of way or care about the laws of pesky humans. Yes, everyone should stop at a four way and give proper way. But how many times have we seen drivers run lights, stop signs etc? Mostly due to not paying attention and some due to just some dont feel like stopping.

So considering the consequence tends to fall heavily on a motorcycle rider regardless of right of way, its probably a good idea to always be alert and ready to give way because pride and ego will get you killed. Pride and ego won't stop a car or fix your spine later.

As for laying down a bike "because I had to bro!" I call BS. The time it takes for you to analyze a situation and make a call to let go and jump away from your bike is as much time as it takes to apply the brakes and cut your speed in half. Going from certain death to survivable. Plus, when you dump your bike, you are letting go of your brakes so your not slowing down much before impact. While continuing to brake for that extra 1 to 2 seconds could mean going from 50mph to 20 or 15mph. My bike stops pretty quick and slows safely in a second or two normaly and much faster when im emergency braking. Why would i lose those seconds of slowing so i can somehow swing my legs over my bike and push off only to still slam into whatever anyways?

Plus, because of physics, you cant really jump away. Sure you could try to action movie turn hard and then lay over and slide but the effort and time for that could have been spent slowing and maneuvering.

This is of course at reasonable speeds. Anything over say 60mph you will be either too close to react anyways to even consider dumping the bike or far enough away that you can safely stop or manuever. I see no scenario where dumping your bike is a good move. Plus, you are still traveling at the same speed as the bike so you will both keep going together in the same direction hitting whatever is in front of you. Plus a risk you may not clear the bike and it lays on you mangling your legs in the tires and exhaust.

A good way to see just how much a second can help you with braking, you can find an empty parking lot, chalk out 20ft increments to say 100ft then ride at 50mph and when you hit the line starting the measurement, do a slow safe brake. You can set up a side angle video cam. Then try a harder brake and then try your quickest without locking up in a straight line. See how quickly you come to a stop from 50mph and you can see the video time to get the seconds. You will probably find 1 second of braking can make a huge difference.

But im no expert. I have been riding for only 5 years but with zero accidents or drops. Some close calls, a 2x4 hit me flung from a 18 wheeler which hurt like heck but no actual wrecks or drops etc.

So maybe im on to something here? Lol 😏 anyways. Sorry for the long rant. Ride safe.
You must use your brakes to lay the bike down

You shouldn't claim knowledge of physics

A bike when layed down will continue on faster than if you were braking, however, your body will slow dramatically, your body will not continue at the same speed as the motorcycle.

Laying a bike down is the last resort, I haven't had that, yet.........but there is/was a forum member that had to lay his bike down........and as I told him, I can only hope I have the balls to do so when needed.

·
Registered
28 Posts

A bike when layed down will continue on faster than if you were braking, however, your body will slow dramatically, your body will not continue at the same speed as the motorcycle.

Laying a bike down is the last resort, I haven't had that, yet.........but there is/was a forum member that had to lay his bike down........and as I told him, I can only hope I have the balls to do so when needed.

As soon as you get off the motorcycle, you are not in control of where you slide, which means you could slide right into another vehicle on the road or a fixed obstacle. There is zero, zero reason to lay the bike down at all intentionally, you are giving up all control at that point and praying you slide the right direction. You have excellent control of your bike when it's rubber side down. Are there times where you won't be able to avoid the crash? Yes. Doesn't mean intentionally dropping your bike and sliding is a better reaction.

·
Visionary
3,950 Posts

There is no way your body will slow faster by sliding contact with the ground than you and your bike will slow by using the brakes hard and keeping the tires turning. It's just not possible. The only way your body will stop faster is if you hit a fixed object, and that will hurt or kill you at speed so you don't want to do that.

Stay on the bike, on the tires, use the brakes for all they are worth ( which is a lot harder than most people realize) and keep slowing until you either stop, hit something, or see a path to get away and then get off the brakes and take it.

·
American Legion Rider
22,141 Posts
I should have claimed I had to lay my bike down when I crashed in 012. Had nothing to do with the fact I was doing 70mph in a frog choking downpour on an unfamiliar road. Nope, just had to lay it down. I should never have said it was entirely my fault. I got to pay attention here more often. I bet there are other excuses for things I’ve done wrong so I don’t have to take the blame. 😗🙄

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm sure everyone riding has heard the set of excuses used by a number of people when they get in an accident / "HAVE TO lay down the bike". I'm just curious here, does anyone else call BS on that the second they hear em? I had a coworker tell me today about a motorcycle accident where he crashed because a car pulled out infront of him. He explains it to me; He's cruising down the road in his lane going the speed limit, meanwhile there is a car waiting to turn at an intersection. He assumed the car is going to stop before the turn since him as the rider "had" the right of way, the car did not stop and pulled out infront of the rider and the rider slammed into the car. Now, I told him that had he been riding like he was invisible, and been thinking "oh that car might pull out infront of me" instead of; "oh that car should give me the right of way." this would have been avoidable a million times over, but apparently to him he doesn't think so. What do you guys think?
Not all bike accidents are avoidable but you give the best advice possible when you say "ride like you are invisible".

·
Registered
689 Posts
Just curious, what is your technique for laying the bike down? And in what situation would you decide it is the last resort?

·
Registered
1985 Yamaha Virago 1000
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Not all bike accidents are avoidable but you give the best advice possible when you say "ride like you are invisible".
Oh of course not all accidents are avoidable! But i'd take a wild guess that probably 60-85% of crashes could have been controlled better and possibly avoided. However that being said, definitely still going to be some completely unavoidable scenarios. Car comes flying from the other side of the road, hell i've been riding behind a car and seen their damn muffler fall off and had that almost taken me out but luckily it bounced out of the lane, trucks tire explodes the second you try and pass them, motorcycle tire blows / something important comes loose / falls off (mechanics error usually). Lets say your in heavy traffic coming off a stop, you switch into first and your clutch burns out and the car behind you finds a new parking spot up your ass. Definitely not EVERYTHING is going to be avoidable, and god bless those who had passed from something like that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello Red Rooster, after years of avoiding accidents, I concluded that most people are too rushed to mentally and optically acknowledge a approaching MC. So...with the advent of inexpensive LED/Laser bright lights, I decided to experiment with some different types. I have mounted alternating Wh/Red/Green LED's to my forks. I stand out like a cheap PawnShop window, whenever I throw the switch. Even during daylight I am ODDLY visible from 1/4 mile out! Strange, yet so far, it seems to alert potential "Creepers and Jumpers" at intersections.
P.S. Great Topic!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well you are going the same speed till friction slows you down such as sliding on the ground which the bike is also doing. You may slow a bit faster than the bike given enough distance but the time it takes for you to slide and slow faster than the bike requires a distance that could be better served brake and swerving. Think about how long after you hit the ground, it will take to stop while sliding on ashfalt. Thats if you can slide perfectly without tumbling.

Most likely the bike will hit something first and you about a half second later at best. Thats after you spent a full second deciding to lay the bike down. Thats 1.5 seconds you could have reacted by braking or swerving. Either way, laying down a bike serves no benefit for a safe rider thats paying attentiin. You are giving up control of direction and speed that could be used to avoid the situation. But if you want to lay a bike down good luck. I personally see no logical reason to voluntarily lay down a bike with maybe a few exceptions lile its an older bike with poor braking, brakes fail or you want the Schliterbaun experience. I understand physics very well thank you. Its why I havent wrecked... yet. I had a very good teacher who rode for something lile 40+ years with no wrecks. He taut the class, was older than dirt and when a student said that they laid down their sport bike he kindly but thoroughly squashed that idea with some very good explanations im not equipped to give The only way I could see jumping backwards off a bike would be to avoid going off a cliff if the brakes failed. But even then you would slide in the same direction and have to hope you stop in time. And thats if you have full gear on. Just try practicing sliding off a bicycle going as fast as you can down a hill. Then try braking at the same spot instead. Mark the stop points and see which gets you stopped safer. Upload the results to you tube.

This article gives a good reason not to better than I can. Again, just my opinion and anyone is free to lay down their bike if that is their choice. I wont argue over it. I respect anyones right to disagree respectably. Personally, with modern brakes and good riding skills, you shouldnt have to lay a bike down on purpose Cheers.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
1,664 Posts
I bet there are other excuses for things I’ve done wrong so I don’t have to take the blame
And you may very well be owed compensation! You should speak to an attorney ASAP 🤭😁

·
Registered
13 Posts
First season rider here who had a moment like this about a month ago.

I was riding down a two-lane main street at night. I'm in the middle of the right lane, traffic is dense in the lane to my left, and I need to turn right about a block down. I see an SUV is starting to pull out of a driveway on the right into the street. SUV stops and looks like its waiting, I think "Okay, SUV probably sees me". My headlight is on, my engine is going and quite loud. So I'm still moving forward, but thankfully still staying alert and slowing speed a little. What felt like at the last moment, the SUV whips out in front me. I was luckily able to stop myself from rear-ending the dude 'cause I was already slowed down, but I was still pretty freaked to so suddenly learn that the SUV definitely did not see me.

Having had that experience and reading everyone else's posts is really helpful for me in keeping my "game face on" when it comes to riding defensive.

·
Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
163 Posts
When I see a car waiting for a turn in front of me I "do a dance," weaving back and forth, slow down, ready on the brakes. If that guy goes, I may hit him, but it won't be at full speed. I do lots of things to be seen, and some people I flat out avoid. That guy in the middle lane that's doing 52 in a 60 is probably either texting or stoned. Either way, I'm getting around him and away from him. Trucks I don't mind, but cars come shooting around them, so I stay away from them. And anyone that is a show off, revving their engine, etc...I'm gone.
I stole this move from you awhile ago I think. I just don't trust that any driver sees me. I do my best to stay out of blind spots, I used my bikes power to get passed trucks. I got hit awhile back. It was from the left. I saw a car sitting there with the driver looking at the phone, then a white SUV roll up behind. I KNEW dude would get annoyed and gun it, I figured I would hurry up and get by. I made it in time to get hit. These days I hang back and have been doing okay. On layin'er down, This makes no sense to me. I can see doing it on a race track, but on the road I would rather have a little bit of the bike between me and whatever ill be hitting if I go down. I dont think I could ever lay'er down on purpose.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts