Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-half-inch-nylon-abrasive-wheel-94017.html. The only thing I can tell you is to try it. paint does not clog these things and the metal under the paint is not nearly as scratched as with a 36 grit sanding disc. Very light pressure is required and the smart guys do the flat areas first. Probably the easiest way going to strip a decal from a motorcycle tank. These wheels are also available in smaller sizes to chuck into drills if that floats your boat for close in work.

The second product is http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-150-grit-shaft-mounted-wheel-brush-91372.html. I used this wheel on a very knackered and damaged Honda CL175 aluminum wheel hub to give it a starting point and after that it was 220,320,400,600 grit paper, and then the buffer came out. By the looks of the wheel brush, it looks dangerous to use, but it worked pretty well in those nooks and crannies. These wheels are available in 80 and 150 grit. I USED THE 150, so I cannot speak to how rough the coarser one [80 grit] might treat YOUR PROJECT.

Read the reviews from the guys who used them. Many reviewers were surprised at how well they worked and I am as well. Use a 20% off coupon and what a bargain. Also get some junk parts to practice on. I discovered these things when removing corrosion on an alloy car wheel that would no longer hold air around the tire bead.

·
Registered
943 Posts
To preserve the metal, the absolute best way to remove paint is aircraft paint stripper. It uses no abrasives at all.

I just finished stripping and painting a 1967 Honda Dream with aircraft paint stripper using recycled glass blasting for the little crevasses I couldn't get into with a putty knife. If I was doing it all again, I think I would just have everything dipped by a professional shop.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
Thanks, I'll give it a try. I'm refinishing some antique lawn furniture that has multiple coats of paint in it. Chemical stripper doesn't do much for it and I've used a ton of regular sanding discs on it.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep us posted, ODE. My experience so far has been with a single coat of paint.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
Will do, it'll be a bit, I start putting flooring down at the house this weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts